What's new

Excalibur? (1 Viewer)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
the directors cut is much better. when they released the movie in theatre they made it for a PG-13 audience.. alot of the gore was missing.it seem very choppy in parts.. the directors cut is not so choppy.. its not up there with excalibur as a movie.. better then first knight.which was just horrible.

JACOB

Darrell Bratz

Stunt Coordinator
There's also the French "Lancelot du Lac", directed by Robert Bresson, which looks to me like the source for at least a couple jokes in Holy Grail. It's meant rather seriously, but post-Python its impossible not to laugh at the bits that are meant to be violent/gory. The look of the two is very similar too, it seems to have influenced Terry Jones somewhat.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

Well maybe that wasn't the directors cut you saw! :eek:

"Gorier" in comparison to the theatrical version which had very little in the way of arterial spray. :)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
one of the odd things about all of this is the source material, Excalibur is Mallory' Le Morte d'Arthur, Sword in the Stone is T.H. White's Once and Future King. and while the characters are similar the stories are somewhat different. The King Arthur that Touchstone did was alright, But the story is sort of like the modern western, demystify the legend, bring the hero down to a lower level, don't get me wrong it is a good movie, at least Lancelot isn't the wuss that he is in first Knight, that movie doesn't even deserve to be in the same category as Excalibur.

There is a glimmer of hope, a 2 Disc is needed or at least a new transfer, i know that it was mentioned, Hopefully that glimmer is green with a new Boorman commentary, and the cast, as mentioned , now that i think about it its in my top ten wants, hell they could make a Boorman box set.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I'd take a new transfer with the old Boorman commentary! :)

It was the director's cut -- I bought a copy. I mean, it was pretty gory, but it wasn't shocking or anything.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

There are some very interesting articles on Wikipedia about the history of the legends and their many different versions. (Also, Le Morte d'Arthur is available in its entirety on Project Gutenberg.)

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Just wanted to mention they are showing Excalibur on HDnet this month, so it definitely appears a new transfer has been made.

I don't have a way of getting screenshots (outside of taking a picture of my TV), but I know there were framing issues with the film.

Can anyone give me a few specific examples fromt eh DVD of misframed scenes so I can check the HD version? Screenshots from the DVD would make it easier. I don't have the old DVD anymore..'

paul_austin

Second Unit
great great movie I love this and watch it often (in fact thanks to this thread, i'll be watching it soon) and it has a great blooper at about 2:09:27 or so into the movie one of Arthurs men strikes him in the back of the head during battle, and Arthur grabs his head. One of the bad guy even looks back at the camera as if to say "are we still rolling?" Floors me everytime i see it.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Boorman's best film is Zardoz. There is no film like it. :)

We got a Point Blank SE, the Deliverance SE is coming, so I think we can expect an SE of Excalibur at some point. I too want to know where Beyond Rangoon is. Although Having a Wild Weekend is probably asking too much, I'd take that too.

Dave Hahn

Premium
Real Name
Dave Hahn
I have to agree with Paul_Scott, this film is a perfect candidate for an HDSE. I believe that Excalibur is the film in the Arthurian Legend Genre. The film that all other films are and will be compared too. Although King Arthur was more historically plausable, we are talking about a legend here, and Excalibur captures the essence and spirit of Mallory perfectly.

On a side note, for those who enjoy the legend I highly recommed Mary Stewart's trilogy: The Crystal Cave, The Hollow Hills, and The Last Enchantment.

ErichH

Screenwriter
I'd be happy with ANY restoration of this one. Don't know if an HD version would make any difference over all.

E

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
Nothing beyond that WB is "looking into it" and that they agree it needs a new transfer. It'll happen, but probably not till next year.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I agree that the current DVD is pretty horrendous. Here's hoping that Warner Brothers revisits it in the near future. I love this movie!

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter

That just sucks...... I love this movie. It was one of my first purchases on DVD....

R~

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I have and will never see First Knight.

After Excalibur I dont see the point of retelling this story.

One of my alltime favorite films.

I'll second this. The Mary Stewart trilogy is my absolute favorite version of the Arthurian legend. My dream is that someday this account will make it to the big screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks