What's new

Excalibur? (1 Viewer)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Excalibur is in bad need of a special edition, or at least a new transfer. The present widescreen version was not cropped correctly. Compared to my laserdisc, it's zoomed in.

Anyway, I don't think I am going to be available for the WB chat tomorrow. If anyone else is interested in this film, can you bring it up in the chat?

Thanks.

Dave Simkiss

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Simkiss
I would sell one of my own kidneys for an SE of Excalibur!
As a Brit I may not be able to attend the chat, I really hope someone raises this title. we in Britain didn't even get the commentary that was on the Region 1 DVD :frowning:

AlexCremers

Second Unit
I still haven't watched my DVD (R2) of Excalibur. I checked the first scene and the transfer seems to be subpar. So yes, I concur, the whole film needs a serious treatment. All films do. But realistically speaking, is it in the stars? Is Excalibur profitable enough?

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member

They probably shoud have hit it while the fantasy iron was hot, ie LOTR or that semi recent King Arthur movie.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Man I would freaking love a new remastered version.. One of my all time favorite flicks....

Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe someone who is attending the WB chat can bring this one up...!!!

R~

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I'd like to see this too. My guess is this title doesn't have enough broad appeal to warrant one of WB's 2-Disc special editions, but I could see them getting this out for about a $10-$15 retail price. I'd buy it for sure if it had a new transfer.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
I would, too. It's an excellent film that gets nowhere near the amount of respect it deserves on DVD. I'd love to get a 2-disc SE with the
original poster art by Bob Peak on the cover, as long as we're wishing out loud.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

You know, when I think about it, it probably does have enough appeal for a 2-disc set. It's pretty much the quintessential film on the subject (Holy Grail aside, of course!). When people think of King Arthur and movies, Excalibur is usually the first film to come to mind (again, Holy Grail aside ;) ).

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

They sure don't make 'em like that anymore. I miss the cheesy painted movie posters of the '70s and '80s.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

And what about BEYOND RANGOON, not yet available on DVD? You listening, Sony?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I showed my wife Excalibur for the first time a month or so ago. After a little while, she said "oh, I already saw this story in that Richard Gere movie."

Afterwards, she said "you know, the story was the same until I said that, but after that it was completely different!" :D

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I'll cast a vote for a new transfer of EXCALIBUR. With supplements I'd pay top dollar, without supplements I'd still buy it.

Same goes for BEYOND RANGOON, which desperately needs a DVD release.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
excalibur is a much better movie then first knight. I would even rate king arthur above first knight. excalibur does have some early stars roles for liam neeson, early role for patrick stewart before star trek and of course gaberial who played king arthur's father.
hopefully they can interview some cast members for it.

JACOB

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I go for an SE since I don't own the current DVD release (which I trust others here by saying it needs a better transfer).

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
EXCALIBUR stands head and shoulder above all the other Arthurian films combined. There's no comparison, in my opinion.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Even Holy Grail?!?!?! ;)

David, the current disc isn't great, but it is pretty cheap and at least it's anamorphic and sounds OK. Plus, if you buy it, we're guaranteed to get an SE announcement immediately! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks