What's new

Ever watch a movie more than once in a single day? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
How does one go to a movie "over lunch"? Are three hours lunches routine for your business? :eek: Color me jealous!

(Well, I did see Godzilla "over lunch" in grad school. :))

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I think the closet I ever got was seeing Raiders of the Lost Ark five times in two weeks.

Mark Hawley

Second Unit
I grew up mostly in secluded military bases (one in Germany) and we only had the one theatre so if a film came, it would only play for three or four days, and if it was a film I really loved, I'd often see it as many times as I could. I'd often stay for both evening showings, or see a weekend matinee, then go to an evening show.

Also if we rented a film, and had to return it the next day, I'd almost always watch the film twice, even if I didn't think that much of it.

Of course if you include watching a film on DVD, and then watching it again with the commentary on, then there are countless films I've watched countless films more than once in a single day.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I saw Return of the Jedi 3 or 4 times in '83, but not in the same day.

However, I did see Star Wars nearly every time HBO aired it (in '82?) which was at least twice a day.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
I saw Attack of the Clones 3 times in 24 hours (midnight show, afternoon and evening). I saw all of the LOTR releases at least twice in 24 hours, as well. The only one I didn't see at least 6 times in the theater was ROTK.

Otherwise, I often watch a new DVD twice, the second time with commentary.

I've also been known to watch a trilogy or quadrilogy back to back in one day.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
The only time I can remember doing this in adult life was for Phantom Menace where I saw the midnight show, then the next day saw it at 10am and 7pm.

4+ years ago I also did the watch a movie, then w/commentary thing fairly regularly. Now I consider myself lucky if I can get through one whole movie without falling asleep. I usually don't even attempt a 2nd different film, much less the same one over again.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I had forgotten that I saw Attack Of The Clones four times on the opening day somewhat by accident. I went with my buddy to the midnight and first morning show. Then I took my sisters in the mid-afternoon. That was going to be it but then my buddy talked me into going to the 9 PM show. That was a long day. :)

Steve Kuester

Second Unit
Never in the theater, but the first time we (my family) ever saw The Princess Bride (on VHS) we just ended up watching it again for no particular reason. I think its just that good.

StephenA

Screenwriter
I was at a friend's house overnight a little over 6 years ago, and watched the Empire Strikes back at around 4 or 5 in the morning because I couldn't sleep. A few hours later he wanted to watch it, so I watched it again with him.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
In the early '70s I used to do this sort of thing. I have sat through three showings of 2001 in a commercial theater in one day (and ended it with a memorable headache). And a number of times I've sat through 2001 twice at commercial theaters. I like that film.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Criterion laserdisc of Cronenberg's CRASH. First the movie, then the commentary.

Disney's SLEEPING BEAUTY. Again, movie first then commentary.

A few TV shows (on DVD) I've watched multiple episodes twice in the same day. Arrested Development, Weeds.

Claire Panke

Second Unit
Sure I have, for movies I've fallen in love with.

It gets expensive in a theater, but there's nothing like seeing a great movie on the big screen.

On a slightly different bent, I've watched several films during a given day/night at a film festival. I'm good for up to 4-5 movies a day after a good night's rest.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
A few weeks ago, I watched The Cutting Edge on HBO East and then again on HBO West when I couldn't decide what else to watch. It was jarring going from widescreen on East to fullscreen on West. I don't have the DVD, otherwise I would have gotten up and popped it in.

Toepick! :)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
One of my all-time favorites, "Arthur," was the first to earn this honer from me. Since then, I think Groundhog Day and Love Stinks have also joined the club. Normally, my wife suspects I may be a bit "unbalanced," but when I do this type of stuff, she's totally convinced of it.:)

Gunny

mtlfilmguy

Agent
Real Name
Benoit Tisseur
I'm willing to bet im the biggest film fan in Montreal,bar none

I watch everthing well not EVERYTHING.I dont think i could sit through Warhol's Empire (probably go nuts on the fifth hour and first things first,is it available anyways ? )

but the rest,bring it on ! Everything from Rashomon to Mothra back to Kane and Faster pussycat! Kill! Kill !.

Some films ive seen many many times.easily in the hundreds with Lawrence of Arabia and Blade runner.

But never done a double or triple on the same day.

Does one and a half count ?

One film.One time.

I'm seeing Total recall for the first time in the theater right?
Then they get Arnold in that alley to kill him,and i believe i was so stunned by the effectiveness of the editing and sound effects of that sequence,i literally ran out to buy a ticket for the following showing..

The ticket lady was speechless i think.:laugh:

Ben

Doug Ennis

Stunt Coordinator
I can think of 3 times I have done this, not counting watching a dvd twice, the second time with commentary.

The 2 films I saw twice in the same day in theaters were Cry-Baby and Edward Scissorhands. I've been a huge Johnny Depp fan ever since.

I watched Lost in Translation about 10 times in the first week it came out on DVD, including at least 3 times in one day.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, fairly often. Obviously for things like Lord of the Rings where I had the tickets even before the first showing. But I'll also go right back and see a film if I was just that impressed by it.

It's rare that I go the same day to the theater in that case. Usually I try to get the wife or a friend to go the 2nd time which means the next day or two before I get back (Fight Club took an extra day, Matrix as well).

But on VHS/DVD not only would I watch a classic twice in a row just for fun (or friends coming in late and wanting to watch from the start), but I would also turn around and rewatch a new film I'd just seen, and I don't mean commentary mode.

Some examples I'm certain on - Die Hard (VHS), as soon as it ended. Donnie Darko (DVD). There's been many of these. Always a good sign when a new screening makes that strong an impression on you.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
memento, a few years ago. simply because couldnt understand what it was all about...hehehe...even after the second viewing, it was still confusing.

MandyHan

Stunt Coordinator
I think I've watched Best In Show twice in one day. Because it's so damn funny. And maybe Donnie Darko? So I could figure it out, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks