What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Eternals is a movie full of potential that is overstuffed with plot and characters that drags the over two and one-half hour running time to a snail’s pace.

Eternals (2021)

Released: 05 Nov 2021
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 156 min

Director: Chloé Zhao
Genre: Action, Adventure, Fantasy

Cast: Gemma Chan, Richard Madden, Angelina Jolie
Writer(s): Chloé Zhao, Patrick Burleigh, Ryan Firpo

Plot: The saga of the Eternals, a race of immortal beings who lived on Earth and shaped its history and civilizations.

IMDB rating: 6.7
MetaScore: 52

Disc Information

Studio: Disney
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 2160p HEVC w/HDR

Aspect Ratio: 2.39.1
Audio: Dolby Atmos, English...

Continue reading...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Even in a completely darkened room, the cave and ship interiors are difficult to make out, as are nighttime exteriors. Even some daytime exteriors appear too dark, as if shot under overcast skies and no light reflectors available on set.

Cinematographer Ben Davis strikes again!

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
That's a pretty cool video. She's very engaging. This is something that's bothered me about the film since I watched it though. Unless it was explained in the movie and I missed it, or it's taken from the comics and I'm unaware, her character is problematic for me. The Eternals are artificial life forms, androids if you will, created by the seemingly all-powerful Celestials, right? If this is the case, why would they build a powerful being like Makkari and make her in such a way that she's unable to hear? It doesn't seem to make sense.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Spoilers in this post (just in case anybody reading the review hasn't seen the movie yet.)

I said the same thing after the theatrical release.

I think the answer is simply that Marvel wanted to include a superhero who is deaf. That is certainly a good thing for them to want to do. Also, Ridloff is really good in the movie, so she obviously earned her spot.

I get tripped up in the same logic that @dpippel mentioned. The idea that the character would be deaf did not seem odd to me at all until the film's midpoint reveal that the Eternals were created by the Celestials. Deliberately creating an artificial life with a disability and sending her to go fight monsters does seem to put their plan at a disadvantage.

It would make more sense for Marvel to cast a deaf actor in the role of a normal person who happens to be deaf and then acquires superpowers, like how Peter Parker was totally normal until the spider bit him. Like I said, it didn't bug me until the reveal of their true purpose.

But then you have other logical loopholes like...

1) Why would the celestials even create ten different beings with ten different sets of powers? They could just create a single being with all of the powers.

2) Why didn't the Eternals help out against Ultron? The movie feels like it needs to address why they didn't fight Thanos. But Ultron's plan to destroy all life on Earth would have interfered with having enough energy there for the new celestial to be born. So, it would actually have been in the interest of the celestials to prevent Ultron from wiping everybody out. But the Eternals still did nothing.

(Of course, the real answer to this is that they weren't planning this movie back in 2014 when Age of Ultron was in production. But that's not an in-universe answer.)

In summary, I think you just have to go with this or the movie will unravel.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Cinematographer Ben Davis strikes again!

But the Blu-ray isn't nearly as dark.

I think the 4K is just way too dark, as too many scenes are nearly impossible to discern.

I saw the movie IMAX and never felt it looked so dim and dense.

4Ks often look a bit darker than their BD counterparts, but this is an extreme.

The rest of the 4K looks great, but the murky low-light shots mean I prefer the Blu-ray. It lacks the 4K's strengths but at least I can tell what's going on the whole time!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks