What's new

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
Anyone disappointed that the digital copies of Aliens and The Abyss did NOT include the Special Edition cuts in 4K can call Disney Home Entertainment customer service at 888-223-4369. Currently, they are only collecting feedback, but if they receive plenty of complaints, they may actually fix the issue retroactively.
The digital copy that accompanies the disc is UHD, both versions.

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The digital copy that accompanies the disc is UHD, both versions.
Where?

The Abyss
Movies Anywhere: Theatrical in 4K Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. Special Edition in HD and 5.1 under special features.
Apple TV: Special Edition in Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. Theatrical in HD and 5.1 under special features (Apple TV devices only)
Fandango at Home: Theatrical in 4K Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. Special Edition in Dolby Vision and 5.1 under special features.
Prime Video: Theatrical on 4K HDR10+ and 5.1. Special Edition requires an additional purchase.

Aliens
Movies Anywhere: Theatrical in 4K Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. Special Edition in HD and 5.1 under special features.
Apple TV: Theatrical in 4K Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. Special Edition in HD and 5.1 under special features (Apple TV devices only)
Fandango at Home: Theatrical in 4K Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. Special Edition in Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos under special features. NOTE: Special Edition is currently returning an unavailable error on the Vudu/FAH app for Apple TV devices.
Prime Video: Theatrical on 4K HDR10+ and 5.1. Special Edition requires an additional purchase.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Where?

The Abyss
Apple TV: Special Edition in Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. Theatrical in HD and 5.1 under special features (Apple TV devices only)
Fandango at Home: Theatrical in 4K Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. Special Edition in Dolby Vision and 5.1 under special features.

Aliens
Apple TV: Theatrical in 4K Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. Special Edition in HD and 5.1 under special features (Apple TV devices only)
Fandango at Home: Theatrical in 4K Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. Special Edition in Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos under special features. NOTE: Special Edition is currently returning an unavailable error on the Vudu/FAH app for Apple TV devices.
Thanks fir keeping us updated Todd 👍

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
Where?

The Abyss

Aliens
Yes, not Dolby Atmos, instead, Dolby Digital Plus; but UHD, on Vudu (Fandango at Home). Didn't check Movies Anywhere.
Abyss.jpg

Last edited:

Mark Mayes

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Mayes
I ordered this in February and Amazon will not give me a release date on it, though it is past street date. Anyone else having trouble getting it?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I haven’t redeemed the code yet.
Alians, I have to open it on Vudu through the Firestick 4Kmax to get the special edition in Da/DV.

Wondering if it will be the same for Abyss.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I haven’t redeemed the code yet.
Alians, I have to open it on Vudu through the Firestick 4Kmax to get the special edition in Da/DV.

Wondering if it will be the same for Abyss.
Abyss SE will be DV and Dolby 5.1 on Vudu under special features.

Jason Goodmanson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
My wife and I watched this last night. I wasn't in the mood for a three hour movie, but a 2:50 movie was within acceptable limits it seems. :)

Good chance I haven't watched this movie since the original DVD came out, so while I had seen this before, a large percentage of it was mostly forgotten, so it was like a new film for me. My wife hadn't ever seen it before (although her mom said she has and said it was one of the scariest films ever made. I have no idea what film she thought this was.)

Anyways, it was great. I question a lot of the physics (especially since I'm now a diver), but you suspend your beliefs and reasoning when watching most movies, so this isn't a knock at all. For being 35 years old (that can't be right, can it?) I think the movie held up very well and looked and sounded great. My wife loved it.

Random thing I saw in the credits which I don't know if I knew and forgot about, but it was cool seeing Jean "Moebius" Giraud in the credits. Such an amazing artist.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
The Abyss
Does Dolby Vision always mean 4K? I'm not all up on the Dolby terminology, so I'm just wanting to clarify that last part of the "Fandango at Home" answer.

I don't have my copy yet, but I'm trying to figure out the best place to redeem the code to make sure I get maximum quality for both versions of the movie. I usually like to redeem directly at Vudu and let things port over to Movies Anywhere.

What I see right now....

Vudu/FAH - Separate entries for The Abyss and The Abyss (Special Edition). Both show as 4K, but only the regular version offers an option to redeem the digital code. However, each version does offer the other as a special feature but I don't have a way to verify the resolution of the special feature.

Movies Anywhere - Also has separate entries for The Abyss and The Abyss (Special Edition) - both indicate availability in 4K. The regular version has all of the special features, including the SE. The SE version does not have any special features. Again, unable to verify if the special feature version the SE would be 4K or not.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Does Dolby Vision always mean 4K? I'm not all up on the Dolby terminology, so I'm just wanting to clarify that last part of the "Fandango at Home" answer.

Dolby Vision is one of the three HDR formats (the other two being HDR10 and HDR10+). Technically speaking, it could be possible to have HDR without 4K, but in practical terms, HDR is always tied to 4K.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

I don't have my copy yet, but I'm trying to figure out the best place to redeem the code to make sure I get maximum quality for both versions of the movie. I usually like to redeem directly at Vudu and let things port over to Movies Anywhere.

What I see right now....

Vudu/FAH - Separate entries for The Abyss and The Abyss (Special Edition). Both show as 4K, but only the regular version offers an option to redeem the digital code. However, each version does offer the other as a special feature but I don't have a way to verify the resolution of the special feature.

Movies Anywhere - Also has separate entries for The Abyss and The Abyss (Special Edition) - both indicate availability in 4K. The regular version has all of the special features, including the SE. The SE version does not have any special features. Again, unable to verify if the special feature version the SE would be 4K or not.
As it stands now, the only two places to redeem the code are Movies Anywhere or Fandango at Home. Regardless of where you redeem, you will only receive the theatrical cut as the main feature, with the SE possibly included as a special feature. It sucks, but that is how the studio set up the code with MA. That is why I have been suggesting everyone who purchased this and Aliens to contact the studio to complain.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher

What I see right now....

If you look at the photo I posted, several entries above, you will see UHD on the Vudu SE version of the film.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
If you look at the photo I posted, several entries above, you will see UHD on the Vudu SE version of the film.
Ah, yes, must have overlooked one of the details there....

Anyway, got my copy this evening and redeemed it at Vudu. Found a way to add the Special Edition to a list.

-Start playing the movie.
-Stop the movie.
-Look in "My Library" under "Continue Watching". There is a tile for "The Abyss: Special Edition Version (Featurette)". Hovering over that also confirms that I have it in 4K UHD.
-Click on the plus icon in the tile and add it to a list.

(Same trick works on individual TV episodes.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks