What's new

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Here's today's Abyss update. The Vudu SE is now 4K and Dolby Vision but 5.1 only. This isn't so bad as the 5.1 mix seems to be the correct SE mix. The SE Atmos mix has some bits from the theatrical mix.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Here's today's Abyss update. The Vudu SE is now 4K and Dolby Vision but 5.1 only. This isn't so bad as the 5.1 mix seems to be the correct SE mix. The SE Atmos mix has some bits from the theatrical mix.
I just checked on both my Apple TV 4K and the Vudu app on my new 77” LG and the SE is still in HD only.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

I just checked on both my Apple TV 4K and the Vudu app on my new 77” LG and the SE is still in HD only.
Did you guys purchase this separately?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

Attachments

• angry.gif
    angry.gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 17

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
It’s stunning that the world’s best and brightest computer scientists, literally two of the four most important tech companies (Apple and Amazon), can’t figure out how to sell a digital version of a movie and the director’s cut. They’ve been selling digital things online for a decade. How can this be so hard?!?!

The (presumably) smartest, "best" tech people (very) often aren't actually that good (or maybe even any good at all) at actually designing/delivering (and/or communicating) mainstream end-user-friendly results... and that's actually nothing new at all.

Apple (mostly under Steve Jobs) was an exception for the most part for most years... but their lead in the user-friendly aspect may finally be eroding very noticeably since the loss of Jobs...

Amazon, OTOH, has always sucked in this regard, LOL...

_Man_

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Even the 5.1 mix on the SE as a special feature, as I noted in my review, is a new mix as it now includes split surrounds. The previous "5.1" mix for DVD was actually a 4.1 (70mm) mix in a 5.1 wrapper, very common on DVD releases back in the day of older titles.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Abyss-SE-Vudu.jpg

I think this may mean an actual fix is coming... the studio may be trying to get all their ducks in a row with retailers first before pushing a fix to those who purchased previously, most likely thru Movies Anywhere.

Still, I urge everyone to nicely and politely contact the studio at the links or phone number provided in this thread.

Walt Disney Home Entertainment Customer Service Contact Form or (800) 723-4763 M-F 7:30am - 4:30PM Pacific.

And for those who are able to access the SE on Vudu, I urge you to contact Vudu and let them know that they forgot to encode the SE with Dolby Atmos.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Ah. Found it searching ALL my movies. And this SE was in SD before the upgrade.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks