What's new

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Well in fairness the theatrical cut and special features still work for me on Vudu. The SE is still giving me issues.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Well in fairness the theatrical cut and special features still work for me on Vudu. The SE is still giving me issues.
Is your Apple TV running iOS v17.3 or v17.4? I just upgraded to v17.4 and that fixed the buffering issue, but not the Movie Unavailable issue.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It may be behind the scenes tinkering getting the digital copies prepared for code redemptions on 3/12. Apple titles frequently get wonky when they’re working on behind the scenes updates. If they do fix this, I don’t anticipate the fix being unveiled before street date, so I think it’s just too early to say if what is being noticed on 3/11 is the final word on the release.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
It may be behind the scenes tinkering getting the digital copies prepared for code redemptions on 3/12. Apple titles frequently get wonky when they’re working on behind the scenes updates. If they do fix this, I don’t anticipate the fix being unveiled before street date, so I think it’s just too early to say if what is being noticed on 3/11 is the final word on the release.
Apple TV is fine - it's the Vudu app on Apple TV devices that is being wonky.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
At least on Vudu we get this slate on one of the special features.
Screen Shot 2024-03-11 at 4.04.23 PM.png

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
At least on Vudu we get this slate on one of the special features. View attachment 215833

I ripped the Anthology discs for my Plex server years ago and so many of the bonus features have slates like that - the discs are authored in such a way that playback begins after the slate has cleared but they’re all there on the actual files.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Anyone disappointed that the digital copies of Aliens and The Abyss did NOT include the Special Edition cuts in 4K can call Disney Home Entertainment customer service at 888-223-4369. Currently, they are only collecting feedback, but if they receive plenty of complaints, they may actually fix the issue retroactively.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Maybe I'll call them and tell them about the SE not playing on Apple TVs.

P.S. I upgraded to the new tvOS and it didn't make a difference.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Maybe I'll call them and tell them about the SE not playing on Apple TVs.

P.S. I upgraded to the new tvOS and it didn't make a difference.
Good luck. Vudu Customer Care is one of the most difficult customer service departments I’ve spoken to.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
It’s really nuts what a debacle this is.
Now the Vudu app on my tv doesn’t even have the special edition.
Movie unavailable on the Atv4K app
I can play it on MA but just 1080p

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I'm now unable to access the "Special Edition" of Aliens on Vudu on my Apple TV. I've logged out of the app and logged back in. I've reinstalled the app as well. I've even disconnected and reconnected Movies Anywhere. None of this fixes the issue which must be on Vudu's end. This is a big deal because Vudu is the only retailer to offer the SE in Dolby Vision and Atmos.

Is anyone else experiencing this behavior with Aliens on an Apple TV?

View attachment 215715 View attachment 215716

It’s really nuts what a debacle this is.
Now the Vudu app on my tv doesn’t even have the special edition.
Movie unavailable on the Atv4K app
I can play it on MA but just 1080p
This is the response I got from Fandango at Home today regarding this issue:

Vudu-Aliens SE_Apple.jpg

Unbelievable.....

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Are they incapable of identifying their own error code?
Hard to believe, but only Tier 2 tech support reps know what those codes mean, and they do not communicate to customers. At least, that is what a Tier 1 Customer Care rep told me.

Fandango at Home (aka Vudu) Customer Care is nothing more than a message center where a customer's only option is to leave a message with a representative and hope someone will actually respond in their lifetime.

Last edited:

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I sent them the photo with the error code and suggested the engineering department knows what it means. They replied:

"Hi Neil,

Thank you for your feedback; we appreciate the opportunity to better meet your needs. I will forward your case to the appropriate department for further review. If you have any additional suggestions, we would be happy to learn how we can further improve your experience with Fandango at Home.

Thank you,
Fandango at Home Customer Service"

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I sent them the photo with the error code and suggested the engineering department knows what it means. They replied:

"Hi Neil,

Thank you for your feedback; we appreciate the opportunity to better meet your needs. I will forward your case to the appropriate department for further review. If you have any additional suggestions, we would be happy to learn how we can further improve your experience with Fandango at Home.

Thank you,
Fandango at Home Customer Service"
Any further response?

I asked for an update today, and was told that I first needed to provide a ton of rather unnecessary info, or my request would be cancelled.

Speed test results:

The type of device you are using:

The make and model of your modem:

The make and model of your router:

Whether your device is connected via a wired or wireless connection:

The distance from your device to your modem and router:

Your Internet Service Provider:

Your city and state:

Movie title and definition (SD, HDX, or UHD) you are attempting to play:

Your Public IP Address:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks