What's new

Eric Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival (1 Viewer)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
This aired last week in HDTV on PBS. Incredible show! Lots of one-off performances, and absolutely killer sound and picture.

Clapton and Doyle Bramhall III absolutely tore up Layla, Joe Walsh did Funk 49 w/Booker T and the MGs, ZZ Top brought the house down with La Grange and Tush.....not to mention the blues performances with Clapton, BB Kind, Buddy Guy, Robert Lockwood(IRC)......

I will be scoring the DVD of this at lunch (comments to follow).

As for the Sound, I commented over at Hoffman's site that who ever did sound for this show really knew their stuff....yeah, I guess so! In the credits is mention of the Head Audio Engineer (or words to that effect).

Who's the genius?????

Elliott Scheiner! That explains why this is the best 5.1 mix I have yet to hear from an OTA broadcast. I only hope that the DVD gives us an unadulaterated transfer.

BGL

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
Ok, so what happened to "Cause We've Ended as Lovers" with Jeff Beck? Why is that not on the dvd or broadcast?

Anyone know if there are plans to release more performances? I would by more Eric Johnson performances.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Good questions Kyle.....

I note that Layla is not listed on the box, which is a dissapintment, but on the plus side, none of the Vai and Johnson performances were on the broadcast I caught, nor was a track by Doyle Bramhall III that is on the DVD.

Can't wait to give this a look/listen. It must have a been a great show to see live.

If the DVD looks and sounds as good as the broadcast, it will supplant my current "best looking/sounding DVD", which is Roger Waters, In the Flesh Live.

BGL

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
Brian,

The Jeff Beck spot isn't on the dvd, nor was it on the broadcast AFAIK. I've never heard why.

I think the broadcast was from the disk with the guys from Saturday night on the big stage. The guys who played Friday are on the 2nd dvd, which might be aired later.

Lots of great stuff wasn't included, hopefully there will be more volumes.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Kyle, and anyone else looking in on this thread....

I just finished screening disc #2, since it had a lot of tracks and artists that I did not see on the HD broadcast. PHENOMENAL!

Larry Carlton doing Steely Dan's "Josie", absolute stunning performances be David Hildago, Steve Vai (Wankery at its finest...and is that Billy Sheehan on Bass???), Johnny Lang, Eric Johnson, and an absolutely stunning version of "I Shot the Sheriff" and "Have You Ever Loved a Woman", and of course the closer with ZZ Top.

Anamorphic WS, and are you ready for this????

An uncredited on the box DTS mix!!

I would have bought this just for disc 2.

I am going to keep beating the drum for this one...its THAT good! Perahps the best live convert DVD (Picture, Sound, and Performance) that I have seen.

BGL

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Brian- I just added this DVD to my "save for later" batch on Amazon. :)

There's another too: some collection of Blues artists that includes Joe Perry and Steven Tyler. Anyone remeber which one that is? Something "Lightening" ?

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
for those of you in the chicago area it'll be rebroadcast today at 1pm on WTTW-DT btw

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks