What's new

Equipment Advice (1 Viewer)

corona13

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
michael
First off, this site is awesome, my uncle referred me here a few months back. Building a HT in my basement and am getting ready to wire. Starting to think about equipment.

My room is 13.5 feet x 20 feet. Seating position will be 12-14 feet from screen.

I bought my speakers already, went with Klipsch RVS-42 for L/R/C, RSX-4 for the surrounds and two RW-10 for my sub. Got a great price and liked the way the sound.

Here is where I am at for the rest:

Projector: Either Optoma HD72 or an Infocus IN76

Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR803, but now this forum has me thinking of seperates from av123 or outlaw. (no HDMI on the outlaw has me concerned, plus another $2,400.) No problem doing this as long as it will deliver a WOW factor.

DVD: Neodigits HVD2085 (good priced DVD that has great reviews). found it on projectorpeople.com something to hold me over until HD/Blu-Ray becomes
more clear.

Screen: Carada 96" Criterion 1.78 to 1

Remote: Logitech 890 Pro

Cables: Ramelectronics.net or Tigerdirect.com Tigerdirect seams a lot cheaper (what do you think)

I am posting this thread to get as much feedback on these products and potential replacements before I purchase. I wish I was referred to this site beofre I bought my Klipsch as this is a lot of great advice.

Thanks for the input and this site makes the DIY HT process much more fun!!

joseph westcott

Second Unit
Projector: I suggest you watch a DLP projector at a boutique store before purchasing. Rainbow Effects and other issues with the way dlp is projected can affect some people. Just make sure you and your family can deal with it. Mine could not.

DVD: I suggest the Oppo 971H if you have a DVI display. I suggest the Panasonic 97 or 77 if you have component or HDMI needs. Both are very affordable for their price performance. Some older Denon models may be cost effective with the introduction of the new DVD models using HQV and Silicon Optix chipsets.

Cables: Use Belden Cables with Canare connectors. If you choose to purchase pre fabricated, Blue Jean Cables is cost effective, great quality, and excellent service.

Everything else looks great. I use the 688 because it is supported by Next Generation RF solutions. Makes line of sight operation unnecessary and works great. The new Logitech RF version is not very powerful, from what I have read and is pricey.

Brian Osborne

Stunt Coordinator
I would agree with Joseph on the projector, but look at the DLP projectors YOU are looking at. Not all DLPs are the same. most new ones have a fast enough color wheel even the most discernable eye cannot see the rainbow most of the time. I have the BenQ 7700 and it suits my needs.
I've got the Onkyo 803 and I like it a lot. believe me, you will too. There is MORE than enough power for my 7.3 setup I've got now in my size room. 16x21. Only complaint I have is the HDMI, certainly no fault of Onkyo, but there are problems with HDMI v1.1, 1.2, blah, blah. who knows how that is going to shake out.... my point being, don't buy an amp for HDMI switching, you will likely be disappointed.
Don't sweat your speakers, they are a very good choice.
I like your choice for the remote. I've got the 880, wish I know the 890 was coming when I bought it (the RF capability would have been nice). I've had the chance to use both the old Harmony ie 588, 688 and I like the Logitech design MUCH more. Programing really is a snap and the LCD makes navigation easy enough anyone can do it.
Some cables can be made, I made my Components, they work great, also made my composite, not that it gets much use, but it saved me a bit. I'd splurge on the one that really can make a difference, the HDMI. Spend $150 and get a nice shielded heavy cable that has some sort of guarantee. Replacing this cable in 3 or 4 years would be a major bummer, especially if your theater is like mine and wires are all in the wall.

corona13

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
michael
Thanks for the heads up on the DLP, I was going to buy blind...will definitely find a store to take a look...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks