HTF News Editor
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Martin Dew
Martin Dew submitted a new blog post

Epson Launches Pro Cinema 4050 4K PJ with HDR
Pro-Cinema-4050-1024x683.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Is it native 4K or pixel-shifting? Lens Memory? 3D?
This is not native 4K:
  • 1920x1080x2 UHD resolution
  • Improved pixel-shifting precision and 4K enhancement processing
I'm actually okay with pixel-shifting, but I don't like how they are calling this 4K Pro, I think that is misleading.

It is 3D, has lens memory, and according to another site: Epson told us they're sticking with 1080p pixel-shifting for now because the extra light output it provides vs native 4K imaging devices allows them to do more with HDR.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This is not native 4K:
  • 1920x1080x2 UHD resolution
  • Improved pixel-shifting precision and 4K enhancement processing
I'm actually okay with pixel-shifting, but I don't like how they are calling this 4K Pro, I think that is misleading.

It is 3D, has lens memory, and according to another site: Epson told us they're sticking with 1080p pixel-shifting for now because the extra light output it provides vs native 4K imaging devices allows them to do more with HDR.

I didn’t think this model had 3D; if it does, that makes it sound pretty desirable to me.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Pixel shifting doesn't doesn't deter me. However I'm deterred because I already own the pixel-shifting/lens memory/3D Epson 5040UB and this new model doesn't offer me anything new.
How do you like the 5040UB?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m eagerly awaiting hands-on review of the 2018 UHD projectors! It will be interesting to see how the $2500 units compare to the $5000 and $10,000 models.

I expect that it will be a matter of contrast, brightness, and ultimate resolution. And how much of a perceptible performance increase you get for 2x or 4x the price?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I’m eagerly awaiting hands-on review of the 2018 UHD projectors! It will be interesting to see how the $2500 units compare to the $5000 and $10,000 models.

I expect that it will be a matter of contrast, brightness, and ultimate resolution. And how much of a perceptible performance increase you get for 2x or 4x the price?

Agreed and "perceptible" is certainly the operable word here. There are so many variables to consider such as room size and darkening ability. My room is dedicated and so can be made totally dark. I don't want to buy more lumens than I practically need but I don't want to buy less either. Of course what I'm really hoping for is an affordable laser sourced projector that is also 3-LCD [or LCOS]. I'm no longer concerned about true 4K vs pixel shifting.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't know if there are any laser projectors under $5000? Maybe that oddball one with the flip-top mirror and looked portable-ish that was posted about a few months ago. But from Sony and JVC, laser source is in the flagship models, priced at $15k+.

So, yeah, me too, but not for a few more years. :)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I don't know if there are any laser projectors under $5000? Maybe that oddball one with the flip-top mirror and looked portable-ish that was posted about a few months ago. But from Sony and JVC, laser source is in the flagship models, priced at $15k+.

So, yeah, me too, but not for a few more years. :)
Yea, the LG "Cinebeam." I really tried to like it but just couldn't. It's also DLP, which is not my technology of choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks