What's new

Emmy winner round-up? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Any surprises from the Emmy's last night?
I've only heard of a few of the winners:
Eric McCormack for Best male lead in comedy (this was a surprise - I thought either Lithow or Grammer had a lock on this category).
Sex and the City for Best comedy series (also a surprise to me, but IMHO I still think it's because they can sprinkle in R-rate stuff in the writing/show.)
The West Wing for Best drama series.
James Gandolfini and Edie Falco for Best male/female leads in a drama series.
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
The only thing that surprised me was when 'The Sopranos' writers won the writing award, they thanked Aaron Sorkin for "not winning." It might have been meant as a joke but she delivered it snidely and it just came off badly. Then she went on to say something to the effect that if 'West Wing' can just keep losing so her show could take top prize. Again, tasteless.
I never liked 'Sopranos' anyway. Glad it lost to the much superior 'West Wing' for Dramatic Series.
[Edited last by Chad R on November 05, 2001 at 11:55 AM]

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
I only saw some of the show. The parts I saw made me tune out. Why were there so many people not there to accept their Emmy? Fear? And non of the presenters looked very happy to be there either. Too much fake fluff, went channel surfing.
Didn't John Lithgow win last year for Best Male lead in a comedy? Not that that would make a difference, just wondering.
I don't get HBO. Sex and the City is a comedy series? Well, I've never seen it, but just going off the show premise, I would have never guessed.
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

Dave L

Stunt Coordinator
Pretty dull show except for Degenneres in the Bjork swan outfit, great sight gag. Also loved Steve Martin running up on stage to grab an Emmy because so many of them were going unclaimed. Funny guy.
Fortunately, la Streisand, who wouldn't come onstage to pick up her Emmy, saved her warbling for the end so I could shut the TV off immediately and not miss anything.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I was surprised to see Cirque du Soleil pick up two emmys in categories with some very stiff competition. Which reminds me to pull out Dralion and watch it again today! :)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
quote: Why were there so many people not there to accept their Emmy? Fear? [/quote] I suspect it had more to do with other commitments. For example, Sarah Jessica Parker and Cynthia Nixon weren't part of the group that accepted for Sex and the City, because they were both on stage in New York at about the time the award was announced. Because the Emmy show was rescheduled multiple times, it was probably impossible to plan ahead (e.g., schedule a night when the theater will be dark or the understudy performs).
Bear in mind, too, that the original plan was to have part of the show held in New York with a live feed. I suspect many participants based on the East Coast dropped their plans to attend when the show became West-Coast-only.
quote: Sex and the City is a comedy series? [/quote] Uh, yeah, for about four years now. Parker's already won two Golden Globes and a SAG award for best actress in a TV comedy. (People make fun of the Golden Globes, but the SAG award is a big deal, because the voters are all actors.)
M.
[Edited last by Michael Reuben on November 05, 2001 at 01:36 PM]

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
One other item: When HBO first aired its filmed adapation of the Pulitzer-Prize-winning play Wit, I predicted that it would win Emmies, and last night it won two: for director Mike Nichols and as best made-for-TV movie. This is an exceptional piece of work that is quite unlike anything else out there. It was recently released on DVD, and I hope these awards help expand its viewership.
M.

Danny R

Supporting Actor
Interesting comment: Ellen said at the start of the show that watching the Emmy's was the right choice, because they would break in with World Series scores, and jokingly said that the other station wouldn't break in for Emmy awards.
Turns out she was wrong on both counts. World Series viewers did have Emmy wins broadcast, and not once during the Emmy show did we see a World Series score broadcast.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
that the original plan was to have part of the show held in New York with a live feed.
Wasn't that the second plan? :)
I believe Lithgow has won several times (playing an alien gives you the excuse to overact) and Grammer has won too.
Streisand won an Emmy?
I tuned in just as she started singing -- what was going on with the backdrop? Names of the fallen?
//Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks