What's new

Elvis Presley films on Bluray... (1 Viewer)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
My three most wanted are from Paramount:

ROUSTABOUT
LOVING YOU
KING CREOLE

The HD streaming version of IHATWF looks mighty fine - great Blu-ray potential. This was another of the Elvis films I had in 35mm and has always been a favorite.
All good titles . Let's hope all 30 + Elvis films make it to Blu-ray !

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
When you say “had” what happened to the prints?
Did you ever have a 35mm print of Girls Girls Girls?
I did have an IB Tech print of GGG. It had a lot of wear and tear but the color was out of this world - nothing like you'd ever see on video.
We used to show the films at a sound and lighting stage building which was two stories high inside. We placed the 35mm projector upstairs in an office, and made a projection port in the wall to isolate the projector noise from downstairs where the audience sat. It had a 1000 watt xenon lamphouse and projected onto a 20-foot screen which we could mask for any ratio. We showed 35mm down there for about ten years and, boy, was it fun. Around 2001, my friend who leased the building retired and didn't renew his lease. After that, we didn't have a place to show the films, so I sold them (and the projector) and got a home theater projector setup going at my house.

ABritch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Britch
I did have an IB Tech print of GGG. It had a lot of wear and tear but the color was out of this world - nothing like you'd ever see on video.
We used to show the films at a sound and lighting stage building which was two stories high inside. We placed the 35mm projector upstairs in an office, and made a projection port in the wall to isolate the projector noise from downstairs where the audience sat. It had a 1000 watt xenon lamphouse and projected onto a 20-foot screen which we could mask for any ratio. We showed 35mm down there for about ten years and, boy, was it fun. Around 2001, my friend who leased the building retired and didn't renew his lease. After that, we didn't have a place to show the films, so I sold them (and the projector) and got a home theater projector setup going at my house.

that does sound like a lot of fun!
my reason for asking about GGG was; as the story goes - after the prints had been struck Hal Wallis had two songs cut out of the first reel of each print to speed up the pace, the film was reduced from 106 to 97 minutes. You can see where one song was cut as the edit is jarring. it was when Elvis was walking the leading lady home after rescuing her at the nightclub, next to a lampost he sang "Where Do You Come From".

Following that, he sang "I Don't Want To" at dusk standing on the edge of his boat (10 seconds of this is in the trailer). There was always hope that a print survived intact, do you remember if your 35mm print had these songs? Thank you.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
that does sound like a lot of fun!
my reason for asking about GGG was; as the story goes - after the prints had been struck Hal Wallis had two songs cut out of the first reel of each print to speed up the pace, the film was reduced from 106 to 97 minutes. You can see where one song was cut as the edit is jarring. it was when Elvis was walking the leading lady home after rescuing her at the nightclub, next to a lampost he sang "Where Do You Come From".

Following that, he sang "I Don't Want To" at dusk standing on the edge of his boat (10 seconds of this is in the trailer). There was always hope that a print survived intact, do you remember if your 35mm print had these songs? Thank you.
No, my print did not have those songs. I have never seen them in any showing. They are on the soundtrack album, of course.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Wild In the Country coming from Twilight Time , Change Of Habit coming via a European BD.
Loving You in limbo due to heavy costs to use the songs . I still hope it will happen .

Chuckcharl

Grip
Real Name
Anthony
Looking more and more doubtful that his absolute best movie, in VistaVision, gorgeous Technicolour and definitely his best songs will ever appear on Blu-ray in my lifetime (ain't got long left) UNLESS someone, somewhere is suddenly going to announce an imminent release of LOVING YOU...........PLEASE

ABritch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Britch
I agree LOVING YOU is as good as it gets!

I contacted Screen Archives asking for cancellation confirmation or news on the Blu-ray release of Loving You, their reply;

——————————-
Good morning,
The title was canceled due to issues with obtaining rights to the music among a few other things.

Regarding “a few other things”

That was the wording sent to us by Redwind Productions so we are not privy to the further issues they experienced trying to release this title.

Sincerely,
Katie

Screen Archives Entertainment
PO BOX 550
Linden, VA 22642
540-635-2575
————————————

This is such a huge disappointment. Bigger to me than anything regarding Elvis this year. I was looking forward to this so much.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
I contacted Screen Archives asking for cancellation confirmation or news on the Blu-ray release of Loving You, their reply;

——————————-
Good morning,
The title was canceled due to issues with obtaining rights to the music among a few other things.

Regarding “a few other things”

That was the wording sent to us by Redwind Productions so we are not privy to the further issues they experienced trying to release this title.

Sincerely,
Katie

Screen Archives Entertainment
PO BOX 550
Linden, VA 22642
540-635-2575
————————————

This is such a huge disappointment. Bigger to me than anything regarding Elvis this year. I was looking forward to this so much.
That's a great bummer , I thought for sure it was coming out , it even had a release date

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
How are all the German blu-ray releases compared to they really expensive and quite dull covers from twilight time ? I may just do a big Amazon Germany order and grab all the Elvis blu-rays as long as the quality is equal . I did read that the UK label final cut of "follow your dream " seems to offer better picture quality over the Twilight time disc .

Chuckcharl

Grip
Real Name
Anthony
That's a great bummer , I thought for sure it was coming out , it even had a release date
Terrible news, the one movie that has Elvis singing some of his best rockin' songs, True VistaVision & Technicolor showing him in a great part and we ain't gonna get it.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Trying to find some nice high resolution blu-ray/dvd artwork to print up a bluray cover for the 68 NBC special . I bought the 5cd 2 blurays set and ended up selling the box with the cds . I really only wanted the blu-rays and the thing was just massive like my Godzilla set . I don't know why they make such huge things as if we have room to display this stuff. I have them in a 14mm 2 disc clear case amray . Anyone have a source for bluray dvd covers ?

Any news on upcoming Elvis blu-rays . It's been sometime , Nothing about "Loving you" or any others ? I have all the German Imports .

Vintage Horror

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Shawn McCracken
Trying to find some nice high resolution blu-ray/dvd artwork to print up a bluray cover for the 68 NBC special . I bought the 5cd 2 blurays set and ended up selling the box with the cds . I really only wanted the blu-rays and the thing was just massive like my Godzilla set . I don't know why they make such huge things as if we have room to display this stuff. I have them in a 14mm 2 disc clear case amray . Anyone have a source for bluray dvd covers ?

Any news on upcoming Elvis blu-rays . It's been sometime , Nothing about "Loving you" or any others ? I have all the German Imports .
Steve, you say you have "ALL the German imports"... can you list ALL? Thanks!

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Tickle Me & Change of Habit are the only ones not available here .
You can as well get Flaming star , Wild in the Country , Follow that dream , Kid Galahad , Frankie and Johnny and Clambake .
On some the German ones have better artwork and the covers reverse to hide that ugly green rating logo . Too bad the writing isn't in English though . I would expect more from Germany and Exclusive media /Koch before we get anything in the states .

Vintage Horror

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Shawn McCracken
Obviously for those in this thread who do not already know Paramount has released KING CREOLE on Blu-ray. Just wanted to update that since I didn't see it mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks