What's new

Elvis Presley films on Bluray... (1 Viewer)

Vintage Horror

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Shawn McCracken
I noticed that TICKLE ME (1965) starring Elvis Presley has been released on bluray as COWBOY MELODIE by Koch Media in Germany (Region B) which is English friendly- though you have to have an all region player. I have a couple of questions:

1) Are there any other Elvis vehicles released on bluray elsewhere that haven't been released in the US besides this film?

2) Are there any plans of Elvis films being released on bluray in the US or elsewhere for 2017 that you've heard?

3) Has anyone picked up COWBOY MELODIE? If so, how is it? Koch Media has a great reputation, but was just wondering.

Thanks in advance.

Simon Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon Lewis
I have Cowboy Melodie. PQ looked pretty good, not much grain visible, so its probably been DNR'd a bit, but detail still looks very good to me.

I wish Paramount and Warner would release the rest of the Elvis movies on Blu-Ray. There's got to be enough Elvis fans in the world to make it viable.

Vintage Horror

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Shawn McCracken
I have Cowboy Melodie. PQ looked pretty good, not much grain visible, so its probably been DNR'd a bit, but detail still looks very good to me.

I wish Paramount and Warner would release the rest of the Elvis movies on Blu-Ray. There's got to be enough Elvis fans in the world to make it viable.

No doubt! You'd think, right? Thanks. So is that the only foreign release you know of (not also in the US)?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'd just love to have a Blu-ray disc of Girls, Girls, Girls which has DNR'd all the grain from the images. The appalling, totally disgraceful, DVD is an unwatchable grain storm, a travesty of what this film looked like when first released.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I'd just love to have a Blu-ray disc of Girls, Girls, Girls which has DNR'd all the grain from the images. The appalling, totally disgraceful, DVD is an unwatchable grain storm, a travesty of what this film looked like when first released.
I had a 35mm IB Tech print of G!G!G! and the color and contrast was out of this world. I dream of a Paramount Elvis boxset with all the films remastered and adding a restored VistaVision Loving You from its current owner as well.

LouA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Add me to the list of people wanting to buy all of Elvis's films , and concerts (like 68 Comeback, and Aloha From Hawaii) on Blu-ray .

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I had a 35mm IB Tech print of G!G!G! and the color and contrast was out of this world. I dream of a Paramount Elvis boxset with all the films remastered and adding a restored VistaVision Loving You from its current owner as well.

The DVD of Loving You is quite nice but of course a bluray would be great.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I'd just love to have a Blu-ray disc of Girls, Girls, Girls which has DNR'd all the grain from the images.

Surely you don't mean all the grain! Grain gives it a true film like appearance. Some cleaning up, of course but we don't want something looking like the blu rays of Funny Face or Patton (the first release).

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Surely you don't mean all the grain! Grain gives it a true film like appearance. Some cleaning up, of course but we don't want something looking like the blu rays of Funny Face or Patton (the first release).

A slight over-statement on my part, but only slight. I'm a heretic. I can tolerate a disc which has too little grain but I can't tolerate a disc which has too much. For example, the Spanish DVD of Universal's House Of Cards which I watched the other day has had all the grain removed, but that didn't worry me too much. The DVD of Buffalo Bill, where Leon Shamroy lenses two of my favorite actresses, Linda Darnell and Maureen O'Hara, is an objectionable disc and unwatchable because of grossly excessive grain.

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
A slight over-statement on my part, but only slight. I'm a heretic. I can tolerate a disc which has too little grain but I can't tolerate a disc which has too much.

I like a disc to recreate what I saw in a theater. And those waxy DNR'd faces aren't what I saw at the movies! :) I understand your displeasure at excessive grain but excessive is the key word here. Grain is good, grain is a movie's friend.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I've been collecting Elvis films over the past year on DVD and Blu where availabile. I was considering starting a Elvis on Blu thread myself but Vintage Horror beat me to it. Good job VH.
As of now, I count 5 Elvis titles available on Region A Blu (USA):
1. Flaming Star
2. Follow That Dream
3. Viva Las Vegas
4. Jailhouse Rock
5. Love Me Tender

Tickle Me (1965), aka Cowboy Melodie would make six on Blu, albeit from overseas.

I of course would love to see the entire Elvis library on Blu but I particularly want ASAP:

King Creole (1957)
Spinout (1963)
Clambake (1968)

King Creole is probably The best Elvis film while Clambake, arguably one of the more blah E-STAG (Elvis Sings To A Girl) offerings but a guilty fav of mine (I was 8 when I saw it in the theater and was amazed how Shelly Fabares resembled my then 18 y/o Aunt Sue).
Spinout I recently acquired on DVD but looks like a fun Elvis movie to have in HD.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I've been collecting Elvis films over the past year on DVD and Blu where availabile. I was considering starting a Elvis on Blu thread myself but Vintage Horror beat me to it. Good job VH.
As of now, I count 5 Elvis titles available on Region A Blu (USA):
1. Flaming Star
2. Follow That Dream
3. Viva Las Vegas
4. Jailhouse Rock
5. Love Me Tender

Tickle Me (1965), aka Cowboy Melodie would make six on Blu, albeit from overseas.

I of course would love to see the entire Elvis library on Blu but I particularly want ASAP:

King Creole (1957)
Spinout (1963)
Clambake (1968)

King Creole is probably The best Elvis film while Clambake, arguably one of the more blah E-STAG (Elvis Sings To A Girl) offerings but a guilty fav of mine (I was 8 when I saw it in the theater and was amazed how Shelly Fabares resembled my then 18 y/o Aunt Sue).
Spinout I recently acquired on DVD but looks like a fun Elvis movie to have in HD.
Clambake...I remember the day Elvis died, a station in L.A. used his Clambake clip singing "The Girl I Never Loved" to accompany their news report. A very sad memory for a big Elvis fan. Actually, I think Clambake is fine (dig Will Hutchins singing "Who Needs Money?" in that bass voice...okay, I know it's really Ray Walker of the Jordanaires!). The only Elvis movie that's borderline for me is Double Trouble, the rest are all good. I had a 35mm print of Spinout once, which was in beautiful shape and still had okay Metrocolor. Here's hoping for more Elvis on Blu-ray soon!!

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Clambake...I remember the day Elvis died, a station in L.A. used his Clambake clip singing "The Girl I Never Loved" to accompany their news report. A very sad memory for a big Elvis fan. Actually, I think Clambake is fine (dig Will Hutchins singing "Who Needs Money?" in that bass voice...okay, I know it's really Ray Walker of the Jordanaires!). The only Elvis movie that's borderline for me is Double Trouble, the rest are all good. I had a 35mm print of Spinout once, which was in beautiful shape and still had okay Metrocolor. Here's hoping for more Elvis on Blu-ray soon!!

"Con-fud-dence!"

LouA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
It Happened At The World's Fair is very colorful and would make a great Blu-ray disc. And there's some extra footage which could be used as bonus material.
This year marks the 40th Anniversary of Elvis's death ,and I know that Sony will be releasing some CD's , so maybe there will be a few Blu-ray releases as well.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
My three most wanted are from Paramount:

ROUSTABOUT
LOVING YOU
KING CREOLE
All good ones. I had a 35mm IB Tech/Scope Roustabout which looked great on our 20-foot screen. The musical numbers like "Little Egypt" and "Big Love, Big Heartache" were awesome on the big screen. I have a soft spot for Blue Hawaii as well, which I also had in 35mm

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
It Happened At The World's Fair is very colorful and would make a great Blu-ray disc. And there's some extra footage which could be used as bonus material.
This year marks the 40th Anniversary of Elvis's death ,and I know that Sony will be releasing some CD's , so maybe there will be a few Blu-ray releases as well.
The HD streaming version of IHATWF looks mighty fine - great Blu-ray potential. This was another of the Elvis films I had in 35mm and has always been a favorite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artscience100