What's new

EGM's Top 100 (1 Viewer)

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
Geez, didn't mean to ruffle so many feathers about Tetris.

Believe me, I've passed countless hours playing this highly addictive game.

Maybe I classified it wrong, but don't tell me that it should be considered in the same genre as Super Mario 64.

Twisting some falling blocks vs. exploring huge 3d worlds?

Come up with a separate, public domain, generic type game list and I'll place it on top (along with Solitaire and Pinball).

If you had a console that could play all these games and you could buy 5 games, would you spend $50 on Tetris?

Doug

Wolf Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
80-Skies of Arcadia, Dreamcast, 2000 - I own it but I'm not wild about it. Random Battles are WEAK, it shows laziness on the producers part in my opinion.
I dunno - I'd say it should be much higher on this list - fab game and the best RPG I've seen in a long time.

In fact, seeing TWO 2D DC fighting games (Street Fighter iterations) making the top 100 is sad - games weren't that good and none of the 2d genre has really innovated since the 16 bit days.

Andre F

Screenwriter
Morgan,

Thanks for posting the whole list. I don't think I would have ever got around to it.

-Andre F

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
If you had a console that could play all these games and you could buy 5 games, would you spend $50 on Tetris?

The fact that I'm still playing it today on my GBA should count for something? The fact that it's /still/ selling today on multiple platforms? The fact that it's one of the best loved & best selling games ever?

But of course, it's just a timewasting little diversion. It's not a REAL game. Just like Chess.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Umm...where in the hell is my favorite game of all time?

TECMO SUPER BOWL

I don't know how many times I rented that game. Hell, with the money my mom spent on renting this game for me, she could have bought it several times!!

I want an NES just for that game!

Oh yeah, what about Super Black Bass for the SNES? That game freakin' rocked!!

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Come up with a separate, public domain, generic type game list and I'll place it on top (along with Solitaire and Pinball).

I'm not sure I understand the logic here. A game is a game. The only criteria here is that it must have been on a console. And the only reason that tetris is in the public domain is because it's so easy to copy. If I were making this list, Tetris would probably number 1 everytime. It is perfection.

I don't think I agree with Super Metroid, it's great, but not the best ever. I think the fact that we're all thinking about it since there's a new game coming might have contributed to it being so high.

Ok, I'm done.

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
Are you serious? These are still great games and the death of side scrolling platformers is a great loss. I think the Oddworld games proved that there is still some life in them (even though it's gone to 3D now too). I've been playing Mario 2 and 3 quite a bit recently and find them much more enjoyable than many of todays games, such as Max Payne which I'm practically forcing myself to play through.
(Feel like being Bold Today)
Im QUITE serious :) I think the death of side scrollers is due to the ABILITY of the console to do 3D. You don't believe that Rogue Squadron et al. is just a MODERN incarnation of Gradius? A GREAT game for it's time, but now it's VERY limiting because it's not realistic (Well as realistic as can be expected). I think I played like 4 seconds of Abe's Oddysey, Im not sure. I hated Crash Bandicoot (Missing from the list or did I not see it?) Max Payne is what it is, a technological demo. It will be another generation or 2 before a console can pull it off (And NO X-Box fan boys, 640x840 with 5.1 sound ISNT the same as 1600x1200 with EAX) I LOVED the Mario Brothers FOR THEIR TIME. I can't go back 2 16 color or 256 color flat 2D games with stereo. I've become SPOILED by 32 player multiplayer action, and 5 speaker surround, and 16-bit color goodness with 65000 colors to choose from. Videogames has LOST it's innocence and that's a shame.

JasonK

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I can't argue with much on the list either. Super Metroid is a fantastic game. (Where's the GBA port...) A few of my own 'faves' that didn't make the cut are:

Maniac Mansion - NES

NBA 2K1 - DC

Worms - multi-platforms

Shining in the Darkness - Genesis

Ninja Gaiden - NES

Castlevania - NES

But all in all a decent list.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
) I LOVED the Mario Brothers FOR THEIR TIME. I can't go back 2 16 color or 256 color flat 2D games with stereo. I've become SPOILED by 32 player multiplayer action, and 5 speaker surround, and 16-bit color goodness with 65000 colors to choose from. Videogames has LOST it's innocence and that's a shame.
Sorry to hear you feel that way. Games like Rayman and Mario are selling lot hotcakes for the GBA, so I think a lot of people may not agree.
:)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I've become SPOILED by 32 player multiplayer action, and 5 speaker surround, and 16-bit color goodness with 65000 colors to choose from. Videogames has LOST it's innocence and that's a shame.
They've lost their 'innocence' to YOU. Don't take it out on everyone else as your ranting is prone to do.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
I thought there was suppose to be a sequel in the works
You thought correct sir! The sequel to Maniac Mansion, which was originally a computer title from LucasArts, came out about six plus years ago, under the name Day of the Tentacle.
It stars Bernard from the first game, and his two roomates, Hoagie (a heavy metal roadie) and Laverne (a spaz med student). They fight the purple tentacle from the first game, who drinks radioactive waste, grows arms, and conquers the world. :D
It's available in various computer compilations from LucasArts, and as a bonus, there isn't a computer today that couldn't run it. The voices are great too, Les Nesman's actor (name eludes me) does the voice of Bernard :).
One of the best jokes in the game is that it contains the ENTIRE first game, on a computer in one of the mansion rooms, as technology had advanced so far after the first one that they could easily put it in :).

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Oh, one small niggle- if anything I'd have placed Quake III Arena on the Dreamcast higher, rather than dropped it - its a very rare console shooter that actually does support keyboard/mouse play, so its not beaten down by the PC (other than obvious resolution and framerate limitations of the TV).

I'd have to say its not a bad list; I've certainly seen worse. I'd take the top five in the opposite order though, as I'm a complete sucker for Mario64.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I must be even more out of touch with videogames than I thought because I'm not sure I even knew there was a Super Metroid, much less that it could be rated so highly :)
Lists like this are always interesting to read anyway, although if I was making a list, I know I'd have to get Smash TV from the SNES on there somewhere :)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
A GREAT game for it's time, but now it's VERY limiting because it's not realistic (Well as realistic as can be expected).
Screw being realistic. Part of what makes classic and classic-style games so great is that they are games, as opposed to simulations. "Tetris", "Ms. Pac-Man", "Joust", and the like have more in common with checkers or tag or Hungry Hungry Hippos than they do with some current games, which basically simulate a [fantasy] world and let the player explore.

Realism isn't a concern; they're deliberately abstract (or at least they embrace the abstraction imposed upon them by hardware limitations). To complain that these types of games aren't realistic is to miss the point entirely.

"Tetris", for example, is a near-perfect game. It can be learned in seconds and can be adjusted to challenge the player without altering its essential nature. Sure, it's not "real", but what flaws does it have as a game?

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Here's my list (PC or otherwise), in no particular order

Elite (C64 and others)

--Elite RULED. Vector-based graphics. Space combat and trading.

Super Mario 64

--Cool game since it was the "1st" of it's kind.

Halo

--It's rare that I ever want to actually finish a game, which I just did yesterday.

Unreal Tournament

--Varying gameplay (CTF, Assult, DM, etc...) and large community designing maps, some of which are actually good, ensures long-term replayability. Rock-solid engine & network code.

Tetris

--Is there another game out there that has been written for more platforms than this one? First played it on a high-school Macintosh.

Wasteland (C64)

--First really good turn-based Sci-Fi RPG on the C64. Fallout 2 is the sequel to this game, many years later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks