What's new

Winning Eleven 6 Soccer - Best Sports Game (1 Viewer)

Scott_W

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone else here as excited about WE6 as I am? Its out Wednesday on the PS2, finally making America after all these years. Its considered one of the top sports games in the world.

Some Reviews:
IGN 9/10
Gamespy 92/100
Gamespot 9/10
Operation Sports 91/100
EGM 9/10
GMR 9/10

I have yet to see a review of the game lower then 90%. One review mentioned the game sold over 1 million copies in 40 days in Europe, handily beating Fifa.

The Master League mode allows one to build a team through purchasing of new players. Your team also increases in skill the better you play, almost RPG like.

There is also a fun mini-camp/training mode, similar to what Madden did last year.

Other things that have impressed from reviews are a great AI, and a staggering amount of animations present (rarely do you see the same thing twice per game).

Anyway, check it out if you haven't heard of it. It looks simply incredible. EB has it as 'World Soccer Winning Eleven 6 International'.

Here is a trailer: http://www.electricartists.com/winning11/trailer.avi

IGN Insiders can check out this video preview (which really sold me on the game): http://www.electricartists.com/winning11/trailer.avi

Talal

Stunt Coordinator
Hellus Yes...
I've been waiting for this game to hit these shores for years.
p.s. anyone know where to get this game for the best deal?

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
Scott: I'm all over this one. I've been waiting years for it to come to America ... I grew tired of FIFA pretty quickly and I've heard this is what all the serious footie fanatics play abroad, so I'm definitely excited about it.

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
I've been patiently waiting for this game for a while. However, after reading IGN's review today they mentioned one thing which really concerned me. They mentioned the graphics didn't look as clear as the other versions released around the world. This bothers me if it's true and the graphics have actually been downgraded for the U.S version.

I've also heard reports of different versions of the game overseas and patches being released? All the confusion and lack of clarity on these issues has me worried about how the U.S version turned out. :frowning:

Dan.Becker

Scott_W

Stunt Coordinator
Every other review has mentioned the game has very good graphics, on par or better then most other sports games. The IGN comment was odd though, its possible his tv was off :). Still, what has me most excited is the limitless amount of animations in the game.

I believe there are downloads for other countries, and updates to fix rosters and gameplay. Its pretty odd, I do agree. If I read Japanese, I'd probably import the original game, as I've read its slightly better.

Anyway, I'm still very excited.

paul h

Supporting Actor
If you like soccer then this is the one, FIFA doesnt even come close ... me and my friends have spent countless hours playing it in 4 player mode and still do, for a change being in the UK does mean we get soccer games way before you guys ;)

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
Well, i'm planning on picking it up after work today. I just hope the graphics don't suffer from too many problems. Mainly i'm concerned with resolution and framerate stuttering as IGN mentioned in their review. If those two things are really a problem I may return it. I just can't take framerate issues in sports games.

Dan.Becker

Scott_W

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, mine was delayed to. I'm pretty disappointed. The game better be in tomorrow, as I'm not the most patient person... :)

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
Ordered it tonight from ebworld.com but have no idea when it'll get here. I can't wait! I've been waiting for something, ANYTHING, other than FIFA to come out for PS2, and there's no better choice for soccer games than the Winning Eleven/Pro Evo series. Soon I'll be able to play s soccer SIM instead of an arcade game.

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
I've never played soccer - don't know the rules and never pay any attention to it during the world cup. That said, I love playing soccer games - arcade that is. I've never played FIFA, but something is telling me that I'll like this game. You true soccer fans, what do you think? For a soccer game newbie, do you think I'll get into it, or will I just get confused?

EdR

Second Unit
On that note Rob V., What is your favorite arcade style soccer game?

I played soccer as a kid, although I never really picked up on much strategy. So I'm not sure I could really get into a soccer 'simulation' such as Winning Eleven 6.

paul h

Supporting Actor
The difference with Winning Eleven is the subtleties in the gameplay, yes the graphics and great but its the gameplay where this one really shines. You can string together smooth passes then deliver a defence splitting through ball for your forwards to run onto. Take a free kicks with Roberto Carlos or Beckham and they have the same movements as the real players...its all in the detail with this game.

You can play it as an arcade game but there is great deal more depth ... maybe something like Sega Soccer Slam of indeed Fifa maybe a better place to start.

EdR

Second Unit
Paul, from the one review I read, it sounded as if even getting the basics of this game down would be tough, even if very rewarding.

Are you saying it has a 'mode' where gameplay is simpler, and so easy to play? Or are you saying that it's really not as complicated as the review makes it sound, but has depth for players who need it?

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
I don't think the game is as difficult as you guys are thinking. I think it will just be tough to master it. Playing shouldn't be that challening. It still uses basic controls like most other soccer games it's just that the game allow for much more strategy and technique than most soccer games.

I'm also steaming mad that they can't get their act together on the release date for this game. EB is now saying tomorrow. The same thing they told me yesterday!

Dan.Becker

EdR

Second Unit
Hmm...this sounds like the perfect example of a game I'd buy if EB still allowed you to exchange games. I could try it out for a couple weeks and decide if I want to keep it.

As it stands, I'll rent it if I can, but I suspect it won't make it to my local Blockbuster, based on what they currently stock.

Scott_W

Stunt Coordinator
I think its fine for a beginner. There is a comprehensive training mode, tutorial, and mini-games. WE6 will just provide more of a long term challenge then Fifa. The master league mode has more depth then anything Fifa has as well.

If anything, it may be a bit easier to start at WE 6. The game moves a slower pace then Fifa, so you can setup plays and pick your spots. WE6 is considered one of the top sports games in the world, so its hard to go wrong with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks