What's new

E.T. DVD Information (1 Viewer)

Oscar

Second Unit
Geez, i wish i lived in Dallas or in Paris. Though i live in Texas, i hope there is a DTS track, i saw it in theaters with DTS and E.T. has never sounded better.

I will surely buy the DVD. And there is some rumour that it might come out on November.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
According to Digital Bits:

"E.T. is looking like a possible August title from Universal,..."

Considering E.T. will be entirely out of the theaters very soon (only playing in two theaters at limited times in the Detroit area), August seems plausible.

Daniel P

Stunt Coordinator
Second, given my thought above, I was wondering how many people are going to be pissed when the 3rd disc, which contains the "original" version of ET, is nothing more than an old laserdisc transfer with Dolby Surround (i.e. no anamorphic and no 5.1 sound). That sounds just like something Universal would do, especially after all the complaints about Jaws' lack of original soundtrack and all that. Do we really think Universal is going to present a brand spanking new anamorphic transfer of the original ET, with a new 5.1 soundtrack (both Dolby and DTS)? I'm not familiar with the re-release of ET, but I'd be willing to bet disc one contains the brand spanking new anamorphic transfer and a 5.1 digital soundtrack for the 20th anniversary version of ET.
I disagree.

If you look at Legend (Universal Ultimate Edition), the theatrical cut is on disc 2 in anamorphic video, but with DD 2.0 sound, along with the extra features. Why would they need a whole spare disc for the original cut of ET with DD 2.0 sound and non-anamorphic video?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
The original version better sport a transfer and audio mix equal in quality to the "NEW SE" version or they're going to be getting some *very* incensed fan-mail from members of this forum ;)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Why would they need a whole spare disc for the original cut of ET with DD 2.0 sound and non-anamorphic video?
Because it would be easier to produce a Collector's Edition and an Ultimate Edition this way. The SE version of E.T. and extras could be presumably the exact same discs on the Collector's and Ultimate Edition. For the Ulimate Edition, all they have to do is add the third disc with the original cut. This would make manufacturing much more easier and efficient than trying to squeeze it in somewhere on the two discs for the Ultimate Edition, if they went this way.

Furthermore, the need to spare a whole disc has nothing to do with how much effort they decide to put into the original. However, I would have to believe the original version will be anamorphic - even if it doesn't look at good as the SE, but maybe it will. Time will tell.

Daniel P

Stunt Coordinator
Because it would be easier to produce a Collector's Edition and an Ultimate Edition this way. The SE version of E.T. and extras could be presumably the exact same discs on the Collector's and Ultimate Edition. For the Ulimate Edition, all they have to do is add the third disc with the original cut. This would make manufacturing much more easier and efficient than trying to squeeze it in somewhere on the two discs for the Ultimate Edition, if they went this way.
Good point ;)
Let's hope that your incorrect though ;)
The theatrical cut deserves a good presentation...

Jeremiah W

Stunt Coordinator
I think everyone is being too scared of Universal;)I think ET will look great,(both versions)
Maybe Speilberg has recorded a commentary and it'll be hidden on the disc as a hard-to-find easter egg.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks