What's new

E.T. and Indiana Jones Commentaries (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member

You guys are correct. Spielberg does talk about his films in documentary so it's not like his thoughts go untapped. And the docs are usually great. But the difference for me is this: A doc. when it's thougtfully done and not just fluff is great. But, docs seem to be fairly organized and scripted, wheras with a comentary the participants have a 90+ minute canvas to speak about what they want (I am aware that participants are often given notes for sessions but for the sake of arguement......). I feel with a commentary, you stand a better chance of getting more subtle details about the film that wouldn't necessairly be bothered with in a doc. I definately noticed some of this in the Alien Quadrilogy set. For example, the docs in that set hardly ever talked about the film processes used in shooting, but those detials were mentioned in commentaries. I know that there were story elements as well that were mentioned in commentaries that were not as apparent in the docs (maybe it was intentionally edited that way, but I don't know).

Also, a really great uninterrupted doc. is a lot more rare in DVD than a good commentary. I do like both formats alot and we are lucky that the Spielberg docs are really good. But I can see why people would be excited should he ever decide to do commentary on his films.

Seth--L

Screenwriter

A great film will hold up to dissection, and in many instances, become even more amazing as result.

CraigL

Screenwriter

This was what I was talking about with my "you must be joking" comment. Besides the unseen b-roll footage, the Indiana Jones documentaries are full of repeated stories and mostly boring as hell. Another reason why I dread the eventual Star Wars release. I don't have a problem with the SE's. It's the format they're following. The Indiana Jones trilogy was FAR from groundbreaking.

Now...look at the documentaries (on laserdisc) for Jaws or ET...and you'll see the way it should be done for Spielberg films.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I wish the Spielberg would just try out the commentary process on one of his films. If he did it and said "This isn't for me" then fine, he does not do it anymore.

James Cameron was one of the anti commentary people (with the exception of "The Terminator" deleted scenes) But, he evetually relented to doing commentary and he doesn't seem to object to it anymore and now, look at the great ones we have gotten from him recently.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Here, here. Whenever I hear directors talking about not wanting to "spoil the magic" I have to roll my eyes.

Of course it's Mr. Spielberg's right not to do commentaries. But he shouldn't try to convince fans that he's doing us some kind of favor by withholding his insights. By his logic, would it be okay to listen to a commentary if I turned the picture off? Then it's just a made-for-radio documentary, after all.

--Jefferson Morris

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

Except that the SW DVDs WILL have commentaries, while the Indy DVDs don't (at the insistence of Speilberg).

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Agreed. Since when does a commentary have to reveal the "Magic" of the movie? Sure, some directors use the commentary track to tell you the tricks they did to do each scene, but there are other Directors that use the commentary track to add to the scene or even explain something that never gets answered throughout the course of the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks