E.T. and Indiana Jones Commentaries

Discussion in 'DVD' started by jake moosey, Feb 15, 2004.

1. jake moosey

jake moosey Stunt Coordinator

Why didnt speilberg do commectaries for any of these films? It's truley disapointing!

2. WillG

WillG Producer

Spielberg does not do commentaries. He does not do deleted scenes anyome either. He feels it takes away from the "Magic" of the films and robs people of the experience. But, he has no problem with full length documentaries. It is frustrating, one of the biggest director in history and we can't get a commentary out of him.

3. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

At least he gives us the original theatrical version of E.T. Wish we could say the same thing for Close Encounters, however...

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    The making-of documentaries on many of the DVD's of his films more than make up for the lack of commentaries.

5. WillG

WillG Producer

Ture they are good. Would still love commentaty though

6. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

Please tell me you're joking.

7. Vincent Matis

Vincent Matis Second Unit

Spielberg might turn out to be a lousy commentator. I find Tim Burton to be one of the most interesting director alive (=making interesting, personnal movies), yet his commentaries are really dull...

Vincent

8. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I think that many of us would be disappointed in Spielberg's comments on his films on a scene specific commentary. I think he is good when reflecting on his films in interview mode, but I can't see him adding much more in an audio commentary. Commentaries are merely a luxury, to me, not a necessity. I think that commentaries and documentaries do often reveal too much. There are books out there that tell you all about Spielberg and his films if you feel you must know about this or that.

To me, films - the great films are magical and mysterious and disecting the minutiae of them can shatter that mystery which makes them great. I don't think that it is something that has to be done. Sometimes, I think that people demand too much from the artists who have already provided so much for us to go on.

Art is fundamentally for entertainment, inspiration and enlightenment, not for technical analysis, although that too can be worthwhile, but is not the purpose of art at all.

9. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

The annoying thing about Spielberg not doing commentaries is that he talks about sitting next to David Lean when the restored Lawrence of Arabia was released, and how Mr Lean spent the entire movie talking to him about the making of the movie, basically giving him a live commentary, and what a great experience this was. Great, Wonderful, Good for you. Please give us the same.

Of course, if Mr Spielberg wants, he can fly to New Zealand and watch Raiders, or ET, or CE2K, or Schindler's List, or any of his films with me, and talk to me during the film about the making of the film, and then I promise not to complain any more.

10. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Yes, but Spielberg didn't ask Lean to comment on the film - Lean just did it. And Spielberg also says that he was torn between listening to the film and listening to Lean. I think that the experience of having David Lean next to you in a screening room and hearing an audio commentary on a DVD are two distinct experiences.

Who are you to make demands on an artist anyway, Matthew? [​IMG]

11. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

You're not kidding. I tried to get through the one on Sleepy Hollow and just couldn't.

Just because a movie has a commentary doesnt mean its going to be interested. I agree though, it would be nice if Spielberg would just give us one, but nope.

12. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
  13. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    Where would he hear Ridley Scott talk about Blade Runner?

In a similar thread here it was speculated that it wasn't just Spielberg that doesn't like the commentaries.

Neil

14. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    Don't know. Maybe he just assumes every movie has a special edition with commentary. [​IMG]

On another note, does anyone know how long the laserdisc documentary for E.T. was? It's been bugging me for a while.

15. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Oh to see Nostromo.....

Yeah, count me as jealous too. I would've loved to have heard a David Lean commentary. Him and Kurosawa are my two favorite directors.

16. WillG

WillG Producer

Well the flaw in that statement is that with a commentary on DVD the viewer CHOOSES whether or not to watch commentary.

17. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

It has nothing to do with the viewer's choice and everything to do with whether the person who's being asked to do the commentary is interested in doing it. Some people just aren't. That's life.

M.

18. WillG

WillG Producer

Michael, I did not forget that part, but the way that quote is worded is that he says "That's why I don't do commentaries" Period after he talks about being made to listen to David Lean when he needed to actually watch the movie. And then, he goes on to the second part. I just sounds like in the above quote and other quotes I've seen from Spielberg he views commentary as something that will spoil the exerience, but never seems to realize that watching commentary is a voluntary option. The people who want to know more will watch and those who don't wont.

But you are right, it is his choice whether or not to do it and not ours. I know that. But it is a shame that he wont because I and many others would really be interested to hear what he has to say.

19. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

But you hear what he has to say DURING the documentaries.

See, this is how I look at it. If I get a GREAT look behind the scenes via documentary/shorts/b-roll/any combination there-of--if it's produced nicely, and lasts for at least an hour or so, then I don't need a commentary. Chances are it'll be superflous--I've managed to get the info I was wanting from the documentary.

If the documentaries are lacking or fluffy, a commentary might help fill in all the blanks--but just like fluffy epk documentaries, a commentary might end up being half info/half fawning love fest/half read-along-storytime book, sans chiming noise telling you to turn the page.

Point being, I can't be too upset at lack of commentary if the subjects are delved into on other areas of the disc anyway. I don't feel as if I'm missing anything. I don't think there's anything I'm missing because there's no Close Encounters commentary--because that Documentary did it's job. Hell, even with Jaws, and it's hacked all to hell documentary on the disc--there's nothing I feel a commentary could have tackled any better. especially since most documentaries at least SHOW you the scene they're talking about at the moment. It's not out of context, and you don't end up with instances of the directors going off on a tangent while the movie unspools. If anything, most documentaries are actually more scene-specific than even LIVE commentaries are.

So if there's a set of nicely produced documentaries, Commentary is optional. If there's some okay documentaries, but nothing too probing, I'll look to the commentary. If they're BOTH good? Bonus for me. If they're both lacking? I hit the internet and start checking trivia sites. No big thing, either way. As long as the movie on the disc is presented nicely.

20. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

What he's really saying, Will, is that he doesn't like talking during movies. And if he didn't want to hear David Lean talk during a movie, he probably doesn't want to hear himself talk either.

Well, it's not as if he's pulled a Woody Allen and refused to say anything at all. Spielberg has never been shy about discussing his films. He just prefers a different format.

I will never understand the fixation that some people have with screen-specific commentary, as if that were inherently a superior format for a filmmaker to share his or her thoughts. In fact, the truly superior format is whatever makes that particular filmmaker feel most comfortable and most open. Spielberg has made it clear on numerous occasions that, for him, that's an interview.

M.