What's new
World Wide Stereo

DVI to VGA and other ?'s (1 Viewer)

AndrewKra

Agent
I have a 50' DLP Samsung and it had a VGA input on the back for your PC as well as HDMI and component Inputs. I am getting a Satellite receiver with a DVI output. I am wondering if the picture would still be HD if I used a DVI to VGA cord. Or would It be better just to use Component cords? I heard component isnt actually HD. I want to keep the HDMI input free for later use.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Experiment to determine if it makes any difference. When I had a HD satellite receiver, I found no difference in picture quality between using the component connections and connecting via DVI. Of course your TV may be very different.

If you find that the DVI connection gives the best picture, you can always get a HDMI switcher. That way you can connect as many HDMI peripherals to your TV as you wish.

Nick:G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Gallegos
I've seen very few cases where DVI/HDMI makes any distinguishable difference over component video on satellite/cable receivers. With that in mind, I would just hook the satellite receiver up using the component video outputs and leave the HDMI input on the Samsung open for a device that actually needs it like an upconverting DVD player or HD-DVD/Blu-Ray.

Unless of course the satellite/cable box companies decide start limiting the component outputs to 480p like our friends the MPAA are already trying to do with the new HD players...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks