What's new

DVD Sets depreciating in value (1 Viewer)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Back in 2005, I purchased all of the individual Seasons for Star Trek TOS, TNG, DS 9 Voyager and Enterprise .. A few months later I happened on the Animated Series in a Wal Mart and purchased it. for about $40 .. The others cost up to $100 each. I just did some comparing on Amazon and at Best buy.com and saw TOS Season 1 as low as 17.99 .. Seems like a lost my shirt so to speak

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Not at all shocked. It's been like that for years.

When we dumped off our DVD's to the local used DVD/CD store, pretty much every movie went for anywhere between $1 and maybe $5. And there were at the time still fairly popular movies/discs.

So don't expect to become rich by reselling DVD's or BD discs. The market is drying up.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Back in 2005, I purchased all of the individual Seasons for Star Trek TOS, TNG, DS 9 Voyager and Enterprise .. A few months later I happened on the Animated Series in a Wal Mart and purchased it. for about $40 .. The others cost up to $100 each. I just did some comparing on Amazon and at Best buy.com and saw TOS Season 1 as low as 17.99 .. Seems like a lost my shirt so to speak
Ho so? Did you consider them investments?

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
I think there are some folks who actually do think many of the discs in their collections are "collectors" items and will some day fetch a pretty penny.

Sadly as OP found out, nobody is interested anymore in paying a premium for something on disc anymore. Maybe 15 years ago the opposite was true, but not today.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I think there are some folks who actually do think many of the discs in their collections are "collectors" items and will some day fetch a pretty penny.

Sadly as OP found out, nobody is interested anymore in paying a premium for something on disc anymore. Maybe 15 years ago the opposite was true, but not today.

See the prices for OOP Criterion title or perhaps Twilight Time's "The Egyptian". Not sure about DVD sets though, I can see the market for those titles perhaps not being worth much, particularly if they've been upgraded to bluray.

Last edited:

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Prices can be $1000 a disc, problem is who's actually buying them? My brother in law always thought his Star Wars toys were worth "$500"...or "almost $1000", in reality that was just a number. Nobody was paying that and all his stuff was dumped off for literally pennies on the dollar years later.

Not saying there are a tiny fraction of a percent of folks out there who would open their wallet for a rare disc, but that's a RARE case in this day an age. Just the diehard old troop of DVD enthusiasts from 1997 could make that market survive a bit longer.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Stuff is only worth what someone else is willing to pay. I preach that to my grandson on a regular basis. He'll come up with an idea to sell some toy or video game/accessory because he knows it's "rare." He'll then try to sell the item to discover those people getting "top dollar" either happened upon the right person at the right time or are just stretching the truth. It's like when people come into the local comic shop to sell comics: "My xxx passed away and I know these are worth some money." The owner never buys but will look at the contents for them to tell them if there's something worth selling. Most of the time it's a box full of stuff worth at best $.25/copy. Even then they get upset when they're told to only expect to get *at most* 50% of the "value."

I paid over $200/season for Star Trek on VHS. It was never an "investment" but just something I wanted to watch and was willing to pay the entry fee.

Last edited:

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ho so? Did you consider them investments?

At the time, I did because they were the 2004 releases in those Cool Star Fleet badge Cases for TOS .. when I bought TOS I figured I was done because I never watched The others when they ran but I bought them and actually enjoyed them .. I'm not planning to Sell them. I just thought the Value would go up since the Originals are OOP or If Paramount decided it was no longer going to market them

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I recently purchased the complete series blu-ray of TNG. I have all of the original DVD sets, some still shrinkwrapped. I'm not sure I can even give them away, aside from just dumping them in the donations box at Goodwill.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
We're in that transition phase like VHS was. Top dollar tapes that were hard to find phased into worthless hunks of plastic and ended up in landfills. DVD and to an extent Blu discs are slowly moving that direction. The day will come that even these "used DVD" comic book stores will stop taking in any more movies on disc and will have to dump their store inventory off to a dump or maybe donate them.

The days of discs being of any used monetary value are about done.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I don't believe in depreciation, it's all about finding the right buyer who's shopping for what you're selling and is willing to pay your price. I have several classic TV show DVD sets that have gone out of print, I'm not looking to sell any of them at this time but if I would list them online I have no doubt that I would sell them.

It's the same thing with VHS. There are still people who use VHS and are shopping for movies on VHS. If I chose to, I could list my VHS collection online, these tapes are long out of print and I have no doubt that I would sell those too.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
. I just thought the Value would go up since the Originals are OOP or If Paramount decided it was no longer going to market them

Yep and as @BobO'Link stated, that could very well be the case if you come across the right individual at the right time.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I don't believe in depreciation, it's all about finding the right buyer who's shopping for what you're selling and is willing to pay your price.

I wouldn't go that far. Try selling your car if you don't believe in depreciation. :) I do see your point though. I think that's the basic concept that started eBay. The problem was locating an interested buyer and they solved it. Too bad they steal so much of your potential profit in fees but that's another discussion.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Ever since the first day I walked into a used video store and saw how cheaply second hand sets went for, I new collecting for resale would be pointless. Maybe, if I wanted to sell my set of It Takes A Thief, I might get a decent price from someone who wanted it, but naaaaah.

Nobody takes care of their discs anyway. It's a sucker's game.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I wouldn't go that far. Try selling your car if you don't believe in depreciation. :) I do see your point though. I think that's the basic concept that started eBay. The problem was locating an interested buyer and they solved it. Too bad they steal so much of your potential profit in fees but that's another discussion.

Cars depreciate over time but it's a little different with nostalgic collectibles like DVD's, VHS, vinyl records and comic books. There will always be people shopping for these types of collectibles. It's just about finding the person who's interested in what you're selling.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Maybe, if I wanted to sell my set of It Takes A Thief, I might get a decent price from someone who wanted it, but naaaaah.

LOL, speaking of It Takes A Thief, currently on ebay someone is selling a brand new complete series set, still sealed in the shrinkwrap. The sellers price is $329.00 but is also taking offers. Anyone here interested in taking a shot at this? The set I bought recently is used but it's in very good condition.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
You'd have to have a very..very deep rooted love for an old 2 season TV series to want to pay that kind of crazy cash. Wow!

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
You'd have to have a very..very deep rooted love for an old 2 season TV series to want to pay that kind of crazy cash. Wow!

The reason for the high price is because the DVD set is now out of print.

There is currently another still sealed set of It Takes A Thief on ebay, with this one the sellers price is $299.99 but is not taking offers.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
The DVD for the 1978 SciFi comedy series Quark is currently going for $85.99 on Amazon. Don't remember what it sold for upon release in 2008 but I ended up buying my copy for $44.95 back in 2016. This DVD is commanding even higher (and outrageous) prices on eBay as Its obviously out of print.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks