What's new

DVD review of Open Range? (1 Viewer)

I went looking for reviews for this too and couldn't find any at my regular stops. I guess screeners weren't made available. I hope that isn't an indication of the quality of the disc, since I am looking forward to seeing the movie.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

Review copies were just late in being sent out. Mine arrived today, so others should be posting reviews soon.

I checked out the disc today (only the movie.) And the video quality was very, very good. I watched it with the DTS track. There's a lot of rain scenes in the movie and it sounded like you were in the middle of the storm. It really comes alive towards the end. Good stuff all around. I'm going to buy it at some point next week. I was upset my boss made me bring back the rental copy earlier. I wanted to watch it again.

David Judah

Screenwriter
I watched it last night. There were a few groaner moments, but overall it was very good--much better than I expected.

When the video was good it was very good, although there were some inconsistencies with certain shots not being quite as sharp as others, but they were relatively few. I really liked the way they shot the outdoor scenes on the range. It was very bright and realistic looking(not during the storms, of course)and they really gave you that sense of space of the gently rolling hills and endless sky out on the prairie.

I enjoyed the soundtrack overall as well, although the dialogue seemed a little muted at times. They did a great job of putting you in the middle of the storm at the beginning of the film, surrounding you in thunder and rain like a real storm was going on outside around you. There were alot of good directional effects and LFE when called for. I listened to the DTS track.

I didn't check out the extras, but they are on a seperate disc. All in all a very nice DVD release.

DJ

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Blind bought this one today. Enjoyed the film very much-also thought the PQ was very good, and the DTS was very immersive. If you're on the fence don't hesitate to get this one.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Sounds like a great release except for one thing; BV again forgets the trailer. And I thought early reports said that it would contain the trailer.

I know I always make a big deal about this, but how can they produce all this great bonus material and then leave off something that's been a standard feature on DVDs since the inception of the format?

Still, minor complaint; I still plan on getting it, as I really liked the movie.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Just saw this last night.

The PQ is excellent, a very rich and detailed transfer And considering every other shot is a cowboy silhouetted against a bright sky there is very little edge enhancement.

The sound is where this one really impressed me. The gunshots are louder and more powerful than any movie I've ever seen.

I would recommend buying if only the movie was better.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I posted this elsewhere a while back but
it is worthy of a repeat....

I was dragged to this film while I was out on
business in Los Angeles last September.

I was tremendously surprised at how great a film
Open Range was. In fact, it turned out to
be amongst the top 3 films I saw last year.

This has got to be one of Robert Duvall's finest
screen performances. It's a shame he will probably
not be recognized by the Academy for this role.

About the DVD.....

The transfer is very nice, but unfortunately not
amongst the best I have seen. The picture is quite
soft which hinders the film's gorgeous cinematography
from really standing out. From vague memory, this
transfer represents how the film looked theatrically.

The DTS track is outstanding, sounding very spacious
and with lots of movement not only across the rear
channels, but across the fronts where voices readily
move across the soundstage. You get a real feel for
the position of characters even when you are hearing
their voices offscreen. Check out when Costner
and Duvall ambush the hooded riders camp to see
what I mean.

The two major rain/storm sequences are stunning to
listen to. You actually feel as if you are in the
middle of a rainstorm without the inconvenience of
getting wet.

This film features one of the best gunfights ever
brought to the screen. No kidding! As it has
been mentioned in a prior post, the sound dynamics
of these gunshot scenes are so immense that you
can actually almost feel the bullets piercing your
own body. I had the same experience when I watched
this film theatrically, and am happy that all of it
has been replicated so well in my home theater.

The only defect I noticed was a slight synch
problem that occurs in the very beginning of the
film as the men end their card game under a tent
sheltered from the pouring rain. The last few
seconds of the dialogue is slightly out of synch,
or so it appeared on my Panasonic RP91.

Despite the fact that the film runs 15 minutes
longer than it should have (my one and only complaint),
Open Range is truly one of the best films
you may see on DVD all year.

Do make a point to see this!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Ron...

I'm pleased that you're chiming in again with (at least) a commentary slant toward reviews.

Although others have taken up a bit of the responsibility, I've missed your commentaries. You have an intelligent "everyman" slant to what you place on line which is a rare commodity.

I totally agree with you on Open Range, and also recommend the DVD.

As far as the transfer is concerned, I'd be most interested, and will attempt to find out, if the DVD is derived (as was possibly Seabiscut) from the DI files or from a film to tape transfer.

RAH

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I also thought Open Range was one of the best movies I saw last year. I tried to convince as many people as I could that this was the best western since Unforgiven and that they should give it a chance. I think it also features the most realistic gunfire I've ever heard in a movie. When you fire a gun in real life, it is an incredibly loud and violent sound. In the movies, the sound of guns are loud, but not uncomfortably so. Costner claims he wanted the gunfire to have true-life impact, and that he wanted to capture the violence of real gunfire, and so, when the first gunshot of the film is heard, you could see people literally jumping in their seats from the shock.

I don't know how well this is going to carry over to the realm of home theater, but I can't wait to see the film again and hear those gunshots on my home system. I'm even inviting some friends over for dinner on Wednesday just for the occasion of watching Open Range. Highly recommended.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
I watched this film last night. I thought the DVD presentation was quite good, but the movie was great! I would recommend everyone at least rent it. :emoji_thumbsup:

-Keith

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks