What's new

DVD recorders: +R or -R? (1 Viewer)

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
So what is the "state of the industry" in terms of DVD recorders these days? Does it look like -R or +R is the way to go?

I picked up a Cendyne 4x DVD-R drive today, but when I went looking for blank discs, the shelves were full of +R, and there was only 1 space for -R discs. Is this a sign of things to come?

Obviously I'd love one of the Sony multi-format drives, but saving for a car purchase means I need to make a few concessions, so I'm stuck with a single format drive.

I haven't even unwrapped the drive, so I can still return it. The question is should I?

-Dave

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I get all of my DVD-Rs from cdroutlet.com. Damn good prices and I've NEVER had a complaint about their products or services.

From what I've read, DVD-R is still more compatible with set-top DVD players by a small percentage; the media is still cheaper; and the format more mature than its +R counterparts.

Keep in mind, the stores sell what they think is the right thing. Consider that they still sell Windows and Microsoft Office and you'll see why I say this severely tongue-in-cheek.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Where were you shopping? The CompUSA near me has a good mixture of both. Keep the Cendyne. It's the same as the Pioneer DVR-105, which is the same as the Apple Superdrive, which is probably the baseline that most people will use for support.

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Dave:

I'd say keep the -R drive.

While both formats seem to be about equal as far as compatibility goes, -R has been out a year or two longer than +R and thus has a fairly hefty advantage in terms of installed units. If I were to pick an eventual winner among the two formats, -R/W would be the one I'd pick.

That being said, though, I don't think there are really a great many differences performancewise between the two formats. I don't think either will be going anywhere for a while.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The one thing I find interesting is that they won't allow the DVD logo on the DVD+R/DVD+RW discs or cases. I guess they don't consider it to be a true DVD product yet.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
DVD+R/W was formed by an organization other than the body that holds the rights to the DVD logo. The organization (DVD Forum, I think) developed and approved the DVD-R/W format. Since other companies (including some in the DVD Forum, actually) decided to spawn their own type, the DVD Forum nixed their official "OK", hence why they're not allowed to use the DVD logo.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Only DVD-R has been "approved" by the DVD Forum, and, yes, it existed before DVD+R; therefore, it is a more mature format.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks