What's new

DVD Profiler 4.0.0 is out. (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hey Ron. Glad it looks like it will fit the bill for what you need as well. Just got home and booted my MacBook Pro. The paid MacOS version is called My Movies 2 Pro, which I’m sure you already figured out. You can always download the free version to play around with before committing $30 but to me, it was a no-brainer.

Thanks, Clinton. Looks like really great software. Once I get my MBP I will buy it sight unseen.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 8.26.34 AM.png

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hmmm... does the My Movies iOS app also work well, if at all, on tvOS?

IF it works, does it support digital media well and even allow launching (iTunes) movies/shows directly from it?

_Man_

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint

IF it works, does it support digital media well and even allow launching (iTunes) movies/shows directly from it?

_Man_
I haven’t looked to see but I doubt it on all accounts. I don’t think it’s meant to be a front end GUI for streaming.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Hey Ron. Glad it looks like it will fit the bill for what you need as well. Just got home and booted my MacBook Pro. The paid MacOS version is called My Movies 2 Pro, which I’m sure you already figured out. You can always download the free version to play around with before committing $30 but to me, it was a no-brainer.
Where are you guys seeing the macOS app for $30? Pro is showing as $19.99 for me, and is at version 2. Also, what's up with their "points" system to enable features? Seems overly complicated.

1634912634530.png

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Where are you guys seeing the macOS app for $30? Pro is showing as $19.99 for me, and is at version 2. Also, what's up with their "points" system to enable features? Seems overly complicated.

View attachment 116766
I could be wrong as I took a quick look at the OSX App Store listing and I thought it said $29.95 for v3. I could be wrong. On the road so can’t check

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I don’t see the macOS price on mine since I already bought it, so I figured I paid $30 for it last year. If I only paid $20 then winner, winner, chicken dinner! :D I never looked into or mess with the points thing so I have no idea what that’s all about. I just use it for cataloging my collection and it plays well with iOS so I’m happy.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I could be wrong as I took a quick look at the OSX App Store listing and I thought it said $29.95 for v3. I could be wrong. On the road so can’t check
That's where I found v2 for $19.99 Ron, in the macOS App Store. There's no listing there for v3, and no mention of it that I could find on the MyMovies website either. It appears that only the iOS version of the app is at v3.

BTW, the Pro version of the app IS $29.99 if you buy directly from the website, but it's $19.99 through the Apple App Store.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

_Man_

I haven’t looked to see but I doubt it on all accounts. I don’t think it’s meant to be a front end GUI for streaming.

But it at least has some reasonable way to represent digital media, not just disc formats, right?

Does it also at least allow you to maintain your own customizable sort title names (w/out necessarily altering the main/displayed title names)?

And does it handle boxsets well? I don't necessarily need every individual disc (in a set) catalogued like in DVD Profiler, but would at least want individual movie titles and TV seasons catalogued as part of whichever boxsets.

The mobile apps can scan UPC codes, right?

Thanks!

_Man_

PS: Maybe all these posts about My Movies (and perhaps also DVD Profiler disappearing from App Store) should be moved either to this older DVD Profiler thread that also starts talking a little about My Movies as replacement or breakout to a new My Movies thread (perhaps w/ the relevant posts from that other thread too) I guess...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Okay, moved the conversation here per MAN's suggestion. Thanks.

Yes, looks like MY MOVIES PRO 2 is OS X and PRO 2 is iOS

I will download and install it once I get my new MBP.

I currently use DVD PROFILER on Mac, but its limitation when entering boxed sets is that it only enters the single box SKU instead of also entering the individual titles within that boxed set. Never had that problem with DVD PROFILER.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

View attachment 116766

Now I remember where I saw the $30 pricetag

I have no idea what the app store is showing as I don't have an OS X device....yet.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
On my iPhone I’m seeing a $5 version of my movies 3 pro.
How many versions of this are there?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Should be two

There is the $5 iOS version and the $30 OS X version, though I haven't seen the actual price in the OS X app store. Just pulled that price off the website.

Oh, and there are versions for Windows and Android

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Now I remember where I saw the $30 pricetag

I have no idea what the app store is showing as I don't have an OS X device....yet.

I forgot that you sold your existing MacBook Pro to help finance the new machine. Excited for you! Anyway, the macOS version is definitely $19.99 if you purchase it through the App Store. I just bit the bullet and bought it. Figured it was time to try and move off of DVD Profiler since it doesn't appear to be in active development any longer.

Well, I've already run into several issues with exporting/importing my DVD Profiler database to My Movies Pro on my MacBook Pro:

#1 was the online import process itself. I followed the MMP instructions to export my database from DVD Profiler, which created an XML file of my database. I then used the web-based import function to upload the file. The progress bar, however, never indicated anything. It just sat at 0% until the upload was done, making me wonder if it hand simply hung.

#2 was the report generated by the MMP upload/import process on their website. It basically told me that NONE of my database entries had been imported because they "couldn't be found." Great.

#3 was when I used the Synchronize function in the macOS app itself. I thought I'd try it on the off-chance that the failure to import report was erroneous. It started to import what looks like my DVD Profiler collection but is showing a total of 2,899 entries, when DVD Profiler only shows a total of 1,967 entries in its database. Perhaps this is due to MMP counting individual TV show/series episodes as separate items.

At any rate, I'm none too impressed with this application so far. Difficulty in importing from DVD Profiler, bogus error report, and possibly bogus import process. I'm not happy.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

FYI, apparently, there's currently a 1/2 price discount ($5) on the My Movies 3 Pro mobile apps that lasts only through today (or maybe tomorrow?). Just noticed that on their FB page (from a quick google).

That recent FB post also mentioned v4 of the mobile app is expected in Dec, and v3 owners will be offered an upgrade discount. Furthermore, they'll be introducing subscription-based pricing, but will allow existing owners to be grandfathered if they keep upgrading (at whatever discounted price) promptly(?)...

Interestingly, there was mention of (potential?) Apple TV support on their FB page a few years ago, but maybe that project didn't go anywhere...

Anyway, guess I'll just go ahead and pay the $5 and see... especially since the base PC version is apparently free(?) -- and I probably don't need any of the extra, paid features on that...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I forgot that you sold your existing MacBook Pro to help finance the new machine. Excited for you! Anyway, the macOS version is definitely $19.99 if you purchase it through the App Store. I just bit the bullet and bought it. Figured it was time to try and move off of DVD Profiler since it doesn't appear to be in active development any longer.

Well, I've already run into several issues with exporting/importing my DVD Profiler database to My Movies Pro on my MacBook Pro:

#1 was the online import process itself. I followed the MMP instructions to export my database from DVD Profiler, which created an XML file of my database. I then used the web-based import function to upload the file. The progress bar, however, never indicated anything. It just sat at 0% until the upload was done, making me wonder if it hand simply hung.

#2 was the report generated by the MMP upload/import process on their website. It basically told me that NONE of my database entries had been imported because they "couldn't be found." Great.

#3 was when I used the Synchronize function in the macOS app itself. I thought I'd try it on the off-chance that the failure to import report was erroneous. It started to import what looks like my DVD Profiler collection but is showing a total of 2,899 entries, when DVD Profiler only shows a total of 1,967 entries in its database. Perhaps this is due to MMP counting individual TV show/series episodes as separate items.

At any rate, I'm none too impressed with this application so far. Difficulty in importing from DVD Profiler, bogus error report, and possibly bogus import process. I'm not happy.

Well, that's a bummer... but guess I'll still give my collection a try and see since the base Windoze app is free...

_Man_

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Doug,

I hate to say this, but I'm happy *someone* was the guinea pig for the rest of us.

I am sorry that you are running into issues with the export and it is now given me great "pause" about purchasing the MY MOVIES software if it can't do a proper DVD PROFILER import.

Please keep us updated on your progress with this software. There are others out there including COOLECTOR MOVIE DATABASE, which I know very little of other than it has been around a long time on the Mac.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Anyway, guess I'll just go ahead and pay the $5 and see... especially since the base PC version is apparently free(?) -- and I probably don't need any of the extra, paid features on that...

_Man_
The free version is limited to a database of 50 titles.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'll definitely keep you all posted as to my progress. Another issue I've seen twice now during the import process - it stops with a "Network Connection Lost" error. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks