What's new

DVD Profiler 4.0.0 is out. (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'll definitely keep you all posted as to my progress. Another issue I've seen twice now during the import process - it stops with a "Network Connection Lost" error. :rolleyes:

If it's any consolation (it won't be), I have tried exporting both DVD PROFILER and DVDPEDIA databases to other software and it never goes well. I think one of the software I tried to import to was COOLECTOR MOVIE DATABASE.

So, I'll be very surprised if you can do a 100% perfect export/import.

I am keeping my eyes glued to this thread. Good luck, Doug. I really want this to work for you.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Weird. I wonder why they have different terms for the macOS and Windows versions? Makes no sense, just like their database import functionality. ;)

Sounds like they started out as a Windoze program that needed to gain marketshare support by offering the base version for free (much like DVD Profiler originally did IIRC). All the other platforms seem added later... and the current pricing model for those probably didn't translate well to their Windoze offerings (w/ the extra, paid features) anyway. Probably why the Windoze version is up to v5 w/ additional support for Windoze Media Server, etc. while MacOS is only v2 and iOS is v3.

They're apparently planning to revamp their pricing structure though to add subscription-based model...

_Man_

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Just tried my DVD Profiler iphone version and none of my title picture scans in the collection are resolving.
Is this happening to anyone else?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Well, it looks like MMP has finished importing my Profiler database XML file, even though it initially gave me an error that stated none WOULD be. At the end of the process, the Synchronization dialog kept popping up in a loop and wouldn't let me exit, so I had to Force Quit the application. Again, I am NOT impressed. Seems buggy and a bit slipshod on macOS, which is unfortunate. I'll restart and see how it did on getting all of my titles. Not optimistic.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Well, it looks like MMP has finished importing my Profiler database XML file, even though it initially gave me an error that stated none WOULD be. At the end of the process, the Synchronization dialog kept popping up in a loop and wouldn't let me exit, so I had to Force Quit the application. Again, I am NOT impressed. Seems buggy and a bit slipshod on macOS, which is unfortunate. I'll restart and see how it did on getting all of my titles. Not optimistic.

Thanks for the update. Keep 'em coming as I ponder on the decision of what to do.

I mean, I'll keep holding on to DVD Profiler and running a Windows VM if I have to.

Now, you guys are saying that MYMOVIES PRO is moving to a subscription but if you buy it soon you will be grandfathered in without having to pay the subscription fees?

I don't do subscription software.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'm done, except for some additional housekeeping. MMP missed importing several dozen titles from my Profiler database, many of them Blu-rays from outside of Region A for some reason. So, I ended up going back and forth through MMP's list and my DVD Profiler list to make sure that they matched, manually adding missing titles to MMP.

The process wasn't TOO painful, but I still feel that MMP on macOS needs some serious attention. I certainly don't have the same confidence in it that I do in the Invelos product, but that may be due in part to how familiar I am with DVD Profiler. I've been using it for years and years. I'm going to use both apps in tandem for several months and see if my opinion changes.

EDIT: After spending over an hour working to categorize my collection, I gave up in frustration. The MPP app is VERY s-l-o-w. It seems like every little change you make gets instantly synchronized to their servers, and response time is dismal. I purchased the iOS app for $5 today as well since it was on sale, and now I feel like I've wasted $25. Maybe I'll request a refund from Apple tomorrow.

Last edited:

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Thanks for the update. Keep 'em coming as I ponder on the decision of what to do.

I mean, I'll keep holding on to DVD Profiler and running a Windows VM if I have to.

Now, you guys are saying that MYMOVIES PRO is moving to a subscription but if you buy it soon you will be grandfathered in without having to pay the subscription fees?

I don't do subscription software.
FYI Ron, I ended up requesting a refund from iTunes for this software (both macOS and iOS versions) and got it. I found that I couldn't live with its idiosyncrasies. It's back to DVD Profiler and Parallels for me until I find something better. I use my Windows 10 VM for other things as well, so it's not that big of a deal for me.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
MMP missed importing several dozen titles from my Profiler database, many of them Blu-rays from outside of Region A for some reason.
When I do a upc scan to add a disc, if it’s not region A, it gives a message saying not found and should it try other regions. I yes and the disc is found. Perhaps the import only looks in region A?

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
When I do a upc scan to add a disc, if it’s not region A, it gives a message saying not found and should it try other regions. I yes and the disc is found. Perhaps the import only looks in region A?
MMP imported SOME of my non-Region A discs, but not all of them. It also skipped random titles here and there for no apparent reason. The macOS version is just too flakey for me to use, much less rely on.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
FYI Ron, I ended up requesting a refund from iTunes for this software (both macOS and iOS versions) and got it. I found that I couldn't live with its idiosyncrasies. It's back to DVD Profiler and Parallels for me until I find something better. I use my Windows 10 VM for other things as well, so it's not that big of a deal for me.

Doug,

I am glad you got a refund on both. Apple is very good about that.

And thank you for taking one for the team. Had I had my MBP, I probably would have tried it out and then would have ended up doing the same thing you did.

I am not very optimistic there is any software out there that effectively imports the data correctly from DVD PROFILER (or the like). I will do a little Google search today to see if anyone is talking about having success with any other software as I really would like to ditch having to use Windows just for that single program (though Crossover might be an idea).

Thank you again, Doug!

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Absolutely Ron! Even though I'm disappointed that it didn't work out, it was a fun exercise, and I'm certainly open to other possible solutions. Please keep us all posted if you find anything promising.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Keeping my promise, I did a little searching and found myself on the Invelos (DVD PROFILER) Forum. Seems like the same conversation is going on over there as we have here.

You may find this post of interest....

Last weekend I tried out 2 other database programs: Movie Collector (from Collectorz.com) and My Movies. Only tried the desktop programs, not the mobile apps.

Both programs draw heavily from IMDB data. While that saves a lot of time, a lot of it is incomplete, or at least not as complete as DVDP's data.

Here are my thoughts.

Movie Collector:
+ Easy to add new titles.
+ Import from DVD Profiler is available. Haven't tried it yet, because the trial version only allows 50 titles.
+ Tabs for different collection section (ie. Owned / Ordered / Wishlist / Etc.).
+ Easy to change screen layout
+ Easy to pick fields and sort your collection list(s).
+ Easy to submit profile updates, including crew and cast.
+ No common name discussions.
+ Easy to update value lists of fields like audio, subtitles, studios, genres, etc.
+ Excellent support.
+ Regular program updates.
+ Online collection.
- Cast/crew data draws heavily from IMDB. There's an option to unlink your profile from the general movie data in their Core, so you can add your own crew and cast. However, crew options are limited.
- Data quality is not great.
- Details display template is not easy to update. Requires a lot of coding knowledge.
- No nested box sets.
- No disc ID support.
- No locality support, as far as I can tell.
- Cast/crew are not clickable.
- General movie data (the CLZ Core) is set for all versions: Title, original title, synopsis, crew and cast. That means that overview text, running time and local crew/cast for animated features can't be submitted for general use.

Movie Collector is very easy to use, and the layout is very easy to customize. Their support is outstanding, with regular program updates. I don't like the lack of disc ids or limited profile info in their online database (Core).

My Movies:
+ Lots of profiles are in their database.
+ Pretty easy to import large DVDP collections.
+ You get a mail with all the UPCs that couldn't be imported
+ Disc ID supported (including an update for the Windows 10 Disc ID issue!).
+ Easy to update disc details.
+ Nested box sets.
+ Locality support.
+ Color bar that indicates how much of the profile is completed, with helpful hints which fields are incomplete.
+ Support for Cyrillic and Asian characters.
+ No endless discussions about common names.
+ You can earn points by submitting updates. The points allow you to purchase other sections of the program, such as converting discs to files on your hard drive/server.
+ Online collection. Can be switched on or off too.
- SLOOOOOOOOWWWWW. Good lord, it's slow.... The initial import/sync took about 6 hours on my fairly new & fast PC. Click on anything, and it just freezes.
- Requires installation of about 10 additional SQL programs.
- While importing DVDP collections is easy, they only use the UPC to set up your collection. All the rest is skipped. None of my saved film details, crew, cast or personal info are imported
thumbdown.gif

- No local database. Everything's done online, and every change requires a sync.
- No tabs. A workaround is to use filters. The filter section is quite elaborate, though.
- The collection list on the left side of the screen can't be customized. Just title and collection number, that's it. No way to view edition, release date, locality, release year, or any other field, never mind sort your list by any of these fields.
- Cast/crew data from IMDB. Crew is limited to a few sections.
- Cast/crew are not clickable.
- Rigid parsing for box set titles, including numbers for movies.
neutral.gif

- Renumber collection can only be done for all items. And it's extremely slow.
- No 'cancel, skip, repeat for all items' dialog in mass changes. After trying out the program, I wanted to delete my entire collection. Every profile deletion had to be sync'd (sloooow), and I had to click yes for every single box set. Took me hours to get it done.

I'm not going to switch to either of these programs, but if I could take anything from My Movies for DVDP, it would be the color bar that indicates how complete a profile is, Windows 10 disc ID issue, and the support of Cyrillic and Asian characters.

On another note, I would have LOVED to see DVDP integrated with Filmogs. Filmogs was set up by the creators of Discogs, which is by far the best music catalog and marketplace in the world. If they would have used the same layout and data structure on Filmogs, fed with data from DVDP, then it would have been great. Add a marketplace, and it would have been awesome. Alas, they pulled the plug last year. Lack of interest, I suppose...
Last edited: January 19, 2021 7:57 AM by marcelb7

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just to add some more things (as I continue to research and read posts on that forum)...

It seems that the members of the Invelos forum continue to point out that DVD PROFILER is the best of its kind and unmatched by other software they have used. The frustration is that the developers have seemingly abandoned the software and there is no luck in contacting them.

I looked at COOLECTOR MOVIE COLLECTOR and that costs $29.95 per year. Now, I hate subscriptions and that price would have immediately turned me toward something else. However, even the members of the INVELOS (DVD PROFILER) forum are saying they would be fine paying a subscription knowing there is a movie database and cloud storage to be maintained if it meant owning software that was regularly being updated and refined.

I can vouch for DVDPEDIA on the Mac. It's pretty damn good, but it doesn't break down boxed sets, entering each title contained therein.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Thanks for the additional info, Ron. It does indeed seem like DVD Profiler is the best product out there. It really is too bad that it's been abandoned! I checked out DVDpedia on the developer's website, and the interface looks like it was designed 15 years ago. The last thing I want to do is move from DVDP to something else that's ancient and no longer being actively developed. I'll take a look at Collector too, but like you, I don't want to pay a $30 per year fee.

EDIT: Just looked at Collector Movie Collector. Windows only, so it doesn't fill my native macOS app requirement.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks