What's new

DVD Profiler 4.0.0 is out. (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I still use the software to manage my collection, too, and still contribute to the database. I would like to see some features around either incorporating digital versions of titles, or at least more flexibility in what can be edited in user defined media types. For example, I have created two media types -- Digital Copy (for HD streaming copies) and 4K Digital Copy (self explanatory). I cannot edit the video format to include things like HDR10 or Dolby Vision to the 4K Digital Copy titles, and the user defined media types do not show up properly in the mobile version. With digital streaming becoming more prominent and disc sales decreasing, it would be a way for the software to stay relevant.

Otherwise, I am quite satisfied with the software. I keep track of when, where and the cost of purchased titles. I also record when I or my wife watch a title, and have filters defined to find titles that have not been watched.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am an Apple guy.

I have to run windows on my Mac (via Parallels) just to use DVD PROFILER

No worries. It's worth it.

The only counterpart there is on the Mac side is DVDPEDIA It's very good though it falls short of DVD PROFILER which does a better job of classifying boxed sets by the multiple titles that are inside it.

I am really proud that all these years I have kept my collection in both those pieces of software. There's 5k worth of titles. That's quite a sum.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I still use the software to manage my collection, too, and still contribute to the database. I would like to see some features around either incorporating digital versions of titles, or at least more flexibility in what can be edited in user defined media types. For example, I have created two media types -- Digital Copy (for HD streaming copies) and 4K Digital Copy (self explanatory). I cannot edit the video format to include things like HDR10 or Dolby Vision to the 4K Digital Copy titles, and the user defined media types do not show up properly in the mobile version. With digital streaming becoming more prominent and disc sales decreasing, it would be a way for the software to stay relevant.

Otherwise, I am quite satisfied with the software. I keep track of when, where and the cost of purchased titles. I also record when I or my wife watch a title, and have filters defined to find titles that have not been watched.

Scott,

Good point on the digital. I tried entering digital titles. Created a new category for it, but in the end, it all meshed together.

DVD PROFILER really needs to come of age and add better support for digital. I am sure they must be getting hammered about it on their support forums, no?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The only counterpart there is on the Mac side is DVD PROFILER. It's very good though it falls short of DVD PROFILER which does a better job of classifying boxed sets by the multiple titles that are inside it.

Are you saying there is an application available for the Mac OS with the exact same name as Invelos's DVD Profiler?

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Like others, I'm a bit discouraged by the time that's passed since the last program update, but a look at the release history on Wikipedia has kept me from completely giving up hope. DVD Profiler has never been updated in a very timely fashion.

VersionDateDays
11-Feb-00​
6-Jul-00​
146​
10-Sep-02​
796​
12-Mar-07​
1644​
4-Sep-07​
176​
15-Nov-08​
438​
26-Mar-10​
496​
10-Dec-10​
259​
26-May-12​
533​
27-Jan-15​
976​
16-Sep-17​
963​
Today​
1231​
---------------

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I had Pedia maybe a decade ago and thought it was great but they changed the program and forced a rebuy so I gave up on it.

At this point I doubt we will ever see an update to Profiler.
Don’t think the developers even commented in the forum in years.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
At this point I doubt we will ever see an update to Profiler.
Don’t think the developers even commented in the forum in years.
Look on the bright side. Maybe he's too busy writing code. :unsure:

---------------

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
You ever tried My Movies Pro. I like it and use it.
I've used My Movies for over a decade now and generally love it. I don't [yet anyway] do some of the more advanced things I've seen discussed here [tagging, Digital versions etc.] but I know they are supported. My Movies also has native apps for PC, MAC, Android and IOS. I use the IOS app to research titles I am considering for purchase when I'm out and about.

You can use your phone to pull up a title by its bar code, which then returns [usually] complete metadata. If I like what I see I can add the title to my permanent collection before I even leave the store. Since my online collection is always available real-time, I also no longer worry about buying titles I already own, something that used to be a problem for me.

For those unfamiliar, I would definitely give it a spin, which you can do absolutely free for up to 50 titles.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Thanks for the heads up on My Movies. I've been using Profiler for years, decades? If it's no longer supported My Movies sounds like it's worth checking out. I don't plan no re-entering my library, but I will eventually so it may be time for a switch.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I have spent A LOT of time with DVD Profiler and it's a program I use almost daily to organize, sort and catalog my collection. Hell, I wonder if I would own so many Blu-rays/4K discs if it wasn't for DVD Profiler. Cataloging is a major part of collecting.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I just have a Word document with all my titles on it. Not to be dumb but what are the benefits of using the various cataloging programs?

Looks pretty lol. I have mine set up with flags and what not so my Criterions all show together, and I use other fields for the actual locations of my discs since so many are in storage boxes.

I use DVDProfiler, at the end of the day, your collection looks pretty and you can sort out by actors, crew, mark who has what disc if you lend them out, that kind of thing. I had a spreadsheet before adding them to DVD Profiler.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I just have a Word document with all my titles on it. Not to be dumb but what are the benefits of using the various cataloging programs?
Maybe you just have time for a short film. How do you list just your movies under 75 minutes long? How do you keep track of what you watch, and how often? How do you keep track of what you've never watched? Maybe you just want a quick list of all your films with a particular actor.

You might not have issues with this if your collection is small enough, or if you just don't care about such things, but when you have 2,000 or 3,000 movies it's much easier to use something a bit more powerful than Word.

---------------

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Maybe you just have time for a short film. How do you list just your movies under 75 minutes long? How do you keep track of what you watch, and how often? How do you keep track of what you've never watched? Maybe you just want a quick list of all your films with a particular actor.

You might not have issues with this if your collection is small enough, or if you just don't care about such things, but when you have 2,000 or 3,000 movies it's much easier to use something a bit more powerful than Word.

---------------
I see. I definitely don't want to know how many times I've watched some movies :) but I can see how those things would be appealing. Especially being able to look up actors or presumably directors in your collection. I've got a pretty good memory for that kind of thing but at 2,500-ish discs, I do forget some things.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I see. I definitely don't want to know how many times I've watched some movies :) but I can see how those things would be appealing. Especially being able to look up actors or presumably directors in your collection. I've got a pretty good memory for that kind of thing but at 2,500-ish discs, I do forget some things.
I prefer to track my movie watches on Letterboxd (not perfect, but it work for most movies), and kick myself for not keeping a film diary all my life. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I am an Apple guy.

I have to run windows on my Mac (via Parallels) just to use DVD PROFILER

No worries. It's worth it.

The only counterpart there is on the Mac side is DVD PROFILER. It's very good though it falls short of DVD PROFILER which does a better job of classifying boxed sets by the multiple titles that are inside it.

I am really proud that all these years I have kept my collection in both those pieces of software. There's 5k worth of titles. That's quite a sum.

Scott,

Good point on the digital. I tried entering digital titles. Created a new category for it, but in the end, it all meshed together.

DVD PROFILER really needs to come of age and add better support for digital. I am sure they must be getting hammered about it on their support forums, no?

I use MovieBuddy, a $4.99 iPhone and iPad app. Barcode scanner with iPhone camera. Can set format as streaming or blu-ray or whatever. And You can create custom tags: I tag movies as 3D or 4K or Atmos or MoviesAnywhere or iTunes, etc. The database can be saved on DropBox, so it easily syncs across multiple devices, and multiple users.

My library is 300, not 3000, titles. So I don’t know how it scales. $5...don’t have to use Parallels on a Mac. The app doesn’t look like it was written for iOS 3 a decade ago. :)

But...I have no idea if / how to movie a library from a legacy app like DVD Profiler to another system. So you might be locked in.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've used My Movies for over a decade now and generally love it. I don't [yet anyway] do some of the more advanced things I've seen discussed here [tagging, Digital versions etc.] but I know they are supported. My Movies also has native apps for PC, MAC, Android and IOS. I use the IOS app to research titles I am considering for purchase when I'm out and about.

You can use your phone to pull up a title by its bar code, which then returns [usually] complete metadata. If I like what I see I can add the title to my permanent collection before I even leave the store. Since my online collection is always available real-time, I also no longer worry about buying titles I already own, something that used to be a problem for me.

For those unfamiliar, I would definitely give it a spin, which you can do absolutely free for up to 50 titles.

That looks really good. I’d give that a strong look over Movie Buddy if I were starting new, today.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I prefer to track my movie watches on Letterboxd (not perfect, but it work for most movies), and kick myself for not keeping a film diary all my life. :)
When I first heard about Letterbox, I thought it would be neat if I could know what I watched on, say, March 23, 1997 or October 25, 1985 or whatever day you want to think of but like I said, I'd rather not know for sure that I've watched Star Wars 347 times. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks