What's new

DVD Profiler 4.0.0 is out. (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I just have a Word document with all my titles on it. Not to be dumb but what are the benefits of using the various cataloging programs?

Here are a few

• Collection shown with cover art and fan art as opposed to just titles
  • Collection real-time and available across multiple devices
  • Automatic synchronization across all platforms.
  • Ability to browse titles by bar cade to determine if [for example] the title has an Atmos track.
  • Ability to add a title to your collection by bar cade while shopping [using the IOS or Android phone apps]
  • Easily avoid duplicate purchases by searching you real-time online collection beforehand

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Thanks for the heads up on My Movies. I've been using Profiler for years, decades? If it's no longer supported My Movies sounds like it's worth checking out. I don't plan no re-entering my library, but I will eventually so it may be time for a switch.
It can probably import your catalog, either from the online application itself or through a CSV file. Most major cataloging apps are supported.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It can probably import your catalog, either from the online application itself or through a CSV file. Most major cataloging apps are supported.
My Movies looks interesting. Their pricing model, as discussed on their website, is convoluted, though, making it difficult to figure out what the cost will be. If DVD Profiler ends up fading away, though, this may be a good alternative.

FYI, DVD Profiler allows for exporting your database to an XML file format. You can export just an individual title, if desired, so it would be easy to test out how well the XML file would import into My Movies using the free 50 title version before committing to a purchase.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My Movies looks interesting. Their pricing model, as discussed on their website, is convoluted, though, making it difficult to figure out what the cost will be. If DVD Profiler ends up fading away, though, this may be a good alternative.

FYI, DVD Profiler allows for exporting your database to an XML file format. You can export just an individual title, if desired, so it would be easy to test out how well the XML file would import into My Movies using the free 50 title version before committing to a purchase.
It’s been a while since I bought My Movies, but I thought it was just a straight-up purchase for each platform.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Another Mac user here that uses DVDpedia (I actually use their entire suite of pedias, CDpedia, DVDpedia, Gamepedia, and Bookpedia) along with the Pocketpedia app for iPhone and ATV.

Other than the box set issue Ron has written about before, I really like the functionality of the program.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Here are a few

• Collection shown with cover art and fan art as opposed to just titles
  • Collection real-time and available across multiple devices
  • Automatic synchronization across all platforms.
  • Ability to browse titles by bar cade to determine if [for example] the title has an Atmos track.
  • Ability to add a title to your collection by bar cade while shopping [using the IOS or Android phone apps]
  • Easily avoid duplicate purchases by searching you real-time online collection beforehand
I’ve also been able to filter by 3D, 4K, and atmos when using My Movies. I didn’t have to add tags to the movies to do that. I love this feature.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I use MovieBuddy, a $4.99 iPhone and iPad app. Barcode scanner with iPhone camera. Can set format as streaming or blu-ray or whatever. And You can create custom tags: I tag movies as 3D or 4K or Atmos or MoviesAnywhere or iTunes, etc. The database can be saved on DropBox, so it easily syncs across multiple devices, and multiple users.

My library is 300, not 3000, titles. So I don’t know how it scales. $5...don’t have to use Parallels on a Mac. The app doesn’t look like it was written for iOS 3 a decade ago. :)

But...I have no idea if / how to movie a library from a legacy app like DVD Profiler to another system. So you might be locked in.

This would be an interesting alternative to DVD Profiler for me, but not having a macOS version kills it. I don't relish the idea of being locked exclusively into an iOS device.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This would be an interesting alternative to DVD Profiler for me, but not having a macOS version kills it. I don't relish the idea of being locked exclusively into an iOS device.
I can see that being a limitation for some. (I don't care about having a desktop app for this, but I get it. Other utilities, I need desktop access, be it native app or website.)

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The apps are fixed price, no in-app purchases. Mac App Store is $19.99. ios App Store is $9.99.

The "points" appears to be for people who want to pay incrementally to unlock features into the free version rather than paying up front for a full version.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The pricing model is probably a bit dated at this point but its original intent was to get people to contribute content which was a great way of rounding out the metadata for more obscure titles. For those of us [the vast majority] who do not contribute content, points can be purchased and, once a certain threshold is reached, all features are unlocked. This is really only relevant if you want to use the software for ripping, transcoding or storing fanart, as all cataloging features are free in the desktop clients for both MAC and PC. Points currently cost $1.00 per 25. IOS and Android clients have a one-time fixed price. I don't know current pricing but it should be readily accessible in the respective platform storefront.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
When I first heard about Letterbox, I thought it would be neat if I could know what I watched on, say, March 23, 1997 or October 25, 1985 or whatever day you want to think of but like I said, I'd rather not know for sure that I've watched Star Wars 347 times. :)
But it's like each time you saw SW:ANH - it was like seeing a different movie ... ;)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Is it just me or did DVD Profiler get removed from the App Store whether just for iOS 15+ or altogether?

I can't seem to access my copy on my iPhone 13 Pro (running iOS 15.0.2) anymore -- something about not being "shared" w/ me anymore -- and can't find it in the App Store anymore. Just tried on my old iPhone 7 (running iOS 14.8), and that copy still works, but can't find it in the App Store there either.

I'm actually not sure if it ever worked on my new phone running iOS 15+... though thought I had tried it early on w/out problem.

Something like this happened at least once before last year or earlier, and I fixed it by reinstalling the app, but this time the app disappeared from the App Store, so can't reinstall.

I just checked Invelos' own forum and don't see any mentions of the issue.

_Man_

PS: I also found my Weather Channel app was annoyingly, forcibly updated to the latest version when I did the restore from iCloud backup for my new phone, which didn't happen in previous restores. :huh: Really dislike the changes made to that app in the last few years beyond v8.1x -- waaay too cluttered and cumbersome w/ not much, if any, real improvements to actual content, etc.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Man,

I have DVD Profiler running on my new iPhone under iOS 15.

However, you are correct that it is no longer in the App Store.

I hope this is not the end of the software. I know the Windows desktop version hasn't been updated in like...forever. There are better databases out there. However, when one has been uploading their collection to it for over a decade it's hard to just abandon it. I wonder how well it exports to other similar database programs.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I still have it on my iphone last years version and iPad.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I gave up waiting for a MacOS version of DVD Profiler and switched to My Movies.

As long as I can successfully export the data from software to another I have nothing against trying My Movies.
Does it have an OS X app?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I think it’s called My Movies 3 on iOS. I’ll look after I get home and see what it’s called on MacOS, whether it’s just My Movies or if it has a 2 or 3 behind it. I’m wanting to say that I had to buy both versions, the Mac and iOS, separately but I’m alright with that. I’ve been using it for a couple of years and it syncs perfectly between the Mac version and iOS. I was frustrated that DVD Profiler was never going to be ported to Mac and since I no longer run Windows at home, I don’t want to mess with trying to get it to work with Wine or anything like that. I still wanted a way to catalogue my movies and this checked all the boxes.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I think it’s called My Movies 3 on iOS. I’ll look after I get home and see what it’s called on MacOS, whether it’s just My Movies or if it has a 2 or 3 behind it. I’m wanting to say that I had to buy both versions, the Mac and iOS, separately but I’m alright with that. I’ve been using it for a couple of years and it syncs perfectly between the Mac version and iOS. I was frustrated that DVD Profiler was never going to be ported to Mac and since I no longer run Windows at home, I don’t want to mess with trying to get it to work with Wine or anything like that. I still wanted a way to catalogue my movies and this checked all the boxes.

Clinton,

Could you do me a favor and look more into this?

I am without a desktop device for the next two weeks but once my MBP arrives, I am going to want to look into possibly switching from DVD Profiler to My Movies 3 (if that is the name).

I had to buy Parallels Desktop and run Windows on Mac specifically to run DVD Profiler (though I could have used Wine or Crossover). If I can get away from doing that, it would save me a lot of money.

I also need to know that all the data will export from DVD Profiler to this software without any quirks.

EDIT: Looked at the app in the App Store. First, it's highly rated. People really love this app. Second, it does specifically state that it will import from DVD Profiler. It's not expensive. $10 for the iOS app and OS X is $30. That's still less than a one-year subscription to Parallels and it would eliminate the need to run it.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Hey Ron. Glad it looks like it will fit the bill for what you need as well. Just got home and booted my MacBook Pro. The paid MacOS version is called My Movies 2 Pro, which I’m sure you already figured out. You can always download the free version to play around with before committing $30 but to me, it was a no-brainer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenorlyrico
Recent bookmarks