DVD Player setting question

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Michael Young, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Michael Young

Michael Young Stunt Coordinator

I have a Denon 910 DVD player. running with definitive surrounds into a sony 5.1/dts receiver. Also a 52" Mits widescreen RPTV Hd.

I was wondering if I should have LPCM OFF, I have read that PCM should be off, but in the manual it states "if you select OFF, copywrite protection will be activated and sound will be downsampled to 48Khz".

I don't mind copywrite protection but is downsampling ok, or are the DVD in 48Khz anyway?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    PCM should not be "off" it should be set to "bitstream" in order to get DD/DTS to play. LPCM I thought was for DVD-A and any other 96/24 DTS discs, but it doesn't list DVD-A capability for this player. You can leave LPCM on because 96/24 will only be in use if you have a 96/24 disc playing.

3. Michael Young

Michael Young Stunt Coordinator

So I assume the LPCM setting does nothing?
    The DVD player doesn't have DVD-A capability, and this is what confused me. bitstream is on, though I believe they don't have that setting, instead has Dolby digital and DTS on/off. LPCM defaults to OFF, so I guess I will leave it that way unless I hear it does anything. I have been getting 5.1 dolby and DTS playback for years now with this setup, I just now noticed that DRC was on, UGG but I turned it off finally.

there's only 4 audio settings:
    DRC
    dolby
    DTS
    LPCM