What's new

DVD Library Software question (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have been using DVD Profiler for many years. A one time price gets you lifetime software updates, and the database is still actively being updated by the user community. I contribute a few items each month myself. There are also mobile apps available for an additional one time fee for Android and IOS which you can sync with your desktop database. I have the Android version.

I use the program to not only keep track of my collection, but also to keep track of when I and / or my wife watch titles. This way we can quickly check the last time we viewed an item when trying to decide what to watch.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I have been using DVD Profiler for many years. A one time price gets you lifetime software updates, and the database is still actively being updated by the user community. I contribute a few items each month myself. There are also mobile apps available for an additional one time fee for Android and IOS which you can sync with your desktop database. I have the Android version.

I use the program to not only keep track of my collection, but also to keep track of when I and / or my wife watch titles. This way we can quickly check the last time we viewed an item when trying to decide what to watch.

I am sure for some, converting titles to a compressed format and watching them on small screens are fine but I still prefer the big screen format or even projection size HD. Until that is perfected I will stick with my DVDs.

Thanks for the various suggestions but it looks like I will go back to using DVD Profiler. The only downside I had with them was that cover art was not always in high def format either, which I prefer so they print off nice, clear and uniform quality. And can put everything online too.

Does it still support scanning UPCs instead of typing in titles?

eXtreme Movie Manager is more for the European market and was a train wreck making it work so quickly abandoned it.

Eric

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I am sure for some, converting titles to a compressed format and watching them on small screens are fine but I still prefer the big screen format or even projection size HD. Until that is perfected I will stick with my DVDs.

Thanks for the various suggestions but it looks like I will go back to using DVD Profiler. The only downside I had with them was that cover art was not always in high def format either, which I prefer so they print off nice, clear and uniform quality. And can put everything online too.

Does it still support scanning UPCs instead of typing in titles?

eXtreme Movie Manager is more for the European market and was a train wreck making it work so quickly abandoned it.

Eric

The paid version allows you to download high resolution cover art. I cannot speak towards the quality of all the available covers, as I scan and process my own cover art using Photoshop Elements... and contribute it if it's an improvement over the online version.

I believe you can still scan UPC codes. I will usually enter new titles simply by typing in the UPC code, but I am only entering one or two titles at a time as I purchase them.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I'm in the process of ripping all of my DVDs to a media server and playing them back in Plex. There is a file naming convention and once you've named the files and imported them into Plex, it builds a Netflix style menu system with images, theme songs, synopsis, cast and crew, etc.

Plex is awesome, but I haven't found a way to print/extract the data. I'd be happy if I could even get it into a spreadsheet. I'm guessing I could parse Plex's XML, but I'm too lazy. Maybe in a few years when I'm retired. I did love having that information available when I used DVD Profiler, but I got tired of typing in barcode information.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
The paid version allows you to download high resolution cover art. I cannot speak towards the quality of all the available covers, as I scan and process my own cover art using Photoshop Elements... and contribute it if it's an improvement over the online version.

I believe you can still scan UPC codes. I will usually enter new titles simply by typing in the UPC code, but I am only entering one or two titles at a time as I purchase them.

Yeah, I ran across where even popular titles were iffy as far as the cover art quality even when you have availability to the high def ones. I also use to contribute updates especially when the art on my version was not available or the UPC codes did not match. I want my database accurate for two reasons - to show exactly what I have and the same reason for insurance if something ever happens.

On that respect, has anyone ever had to make a claim on their collection and if so, how did that play out using a similar database?

Thanks!
Eric

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Does it still support adding titles by UPC code? That is my main concern... ease of entering titles, especially if I possibly have to start over.

Eric:

Yes. That's what I do. I scan my titles in using my iphone 6. There is also a mobile app that syncs between my laptop and my phone so my titles are constantly updated and with me (great when I'm out shopping and can't remember if I picked up a certain title).

I had actually purchased a hand-held scanner just before I upgraded to my first iPhone. Oh well. You can also enter UPCs manually and enter by title.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Eric:

Yes. That's what I do. I scan my titles in using my iphone 6. There is also a mobile app that syncs between my laptop and my phone so my titles are constantly updated and with me (great when I'm out shopping and can't remember if I picked up a certain title).

I had actually purchased a hand-held scanner just before I upgraded to my first iPhone. Oh well. You can also enter UPCs manually and enter by title.

Thanks. I have a handheld scanner which I can attach to my notebook which works perfectly and was hoping the feature function still worked.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Plex is awesome, but I haven't found a way to print/extract the data. I'd be happy if I could even get it into a spreadsheet. I'm guessing I could parse Plex's XML, but I'm too lazy. Maybe in a few years when I'm retired. I did love having that information available when I used DVD Profiler, but I got tired of typing in barcode information.

That is why I asked if the UPC codes can be scanned. Easier that way. I have started to scan the collection in using a online program to store the collection information and it was going very quickly but as far as all you can do to download it is a simple text line format of title and date as well as a few other bits if you select a formatted outline but not exactly a spreadsheet format... I am seeking more.

My current version of DVD Profiler is many years old and long outdated and no longer supported so I am sure the current version is a lot better.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
On that respect, has anyone ever had to make a claim on their collection and if so, how did that play out using a similar database?

I used a combination of sources (Profiler, DVD Aficionado) a few years ago when all my BD's got stolen. All I did was print the collection list to Excel and submitted that with insurance.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I used a combination of sources (Profiler, DVD Aficionado) a few years ago when all my BD's got stolen. All I did was print the collection list to Excel and submitted that with insurance.

I was adding my collection to DVD Aficionado which is quick but does not have many of the Mill Creek multi title pack titles in their database (or other multi title sets) and some documentary titles.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Aficionado drove me insane after a while. A good number of titles weren't there and I didn't have a mobile version. (I was also maintaining three different lists...) Profiler is the best option for me.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Aficionado drove me insane after a while. A good number of titles weren't there and I didn't have a mobile version. (I was also maintaining three different lists...) Profiler is the best option for me.

And unless I was overlooking a setting, the only export download to print out is a simple one line text.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
My current version of DVD Profiler is many years old and long outdated and no longer supported so I am sure the current version is a lot better.
The current version is far superior to the old versions of the Intervocative days.

---------------

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'll add my voice to the choir on DVD Profiler. It's never done me wrong, and even the odder titles I collect from niche companies are represented eventually provided you use the barcodes.

AtlasWinks

Auditioning
Real Name
Tammy Annette
Do you still use DVD Profiler? I just purchased My Movies Pro from the iPhone App Store. It seems to be doing a good job, but it has a few weaknesses.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm a DVD Profiler lifer. The phone app looks pretty on android, the PC version does everything I need.

I use DISCOGS for my music. I need to find something for my books and comics haha

AtlasWinks

Auditioning
Real Name
Tammy Annette
I'm a DVD Profiler lifer. The phone app looks pretty on android, the PC version does everything I need.

I use DISCOGS for my music. I need to find something for my books and comics haha

Lol!

If you use Apple products there is a great app called CLZ Comics. It is free if you have less than 100. It is a one time fee of 15 for unlimited storage. I use their sister apps, CLZ Books & CLZ Barry.

My daughter's boyfriend has offered to organize our extensive collection. We have over 3,000 Dvd's & BluRay sets as well as around 1600 digital movies & 800 tv series on Amazon & Apple. He says I should make backup copies of our digital media, but I am not sure what is the best option there.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I am still using DVD Profiler -- both the Windows and Android mobile versions. It meets my needs. I "only" have 1,465 titles in my database, not including my wish list, which is about another 50 titles.

For my music collection, I am just using a simple Excel spreadsheet that I created over 30 years ago in the days of Lotus 1-2-3.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks