What's new

DVD-Audio New Releases (Link) (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jagan, thanks for providing the link. I think these titles were announced for release on DVD-Audio awhile back. However, the technical information is welcome. The one good thing I noticed on that link is that Neil Young Harvest is said to have a 24/192 stereo track. However, a lot of the information there is disturbing, such as:
* The stereo track on the Alanis Morissette disc is said to be just 24/88.2.
* On the Linkin Park disc, the 5.1 track is said to be just 24/48, while the stereo track is just 24/44.1.
* The 5.1 and stereo tracks on the Disturbed disc are said to be just 24/48.
While the Morissette, Linkin Park, and Disturbed titles do not particularly interest me, it is hard for me to be excited at all about DVD-Audio right now when discs are coming out that do not utilize the full potential of the format (i.e., 24/96 or 24/192). Now, perhaps these three titles were recorded in just 44.1- or 48-kHz PCM. If so, perhaps they are not the best choices for release on DVD-Audio, especially when quality-sounding software is sorely lacking on this format. Sorry, just my opinion.
Jagan, I certainly am not shooting the messenger here. ;)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Keith- Ahhh, but remember, even when the "big switch" came from lp to CD, and CD does have a lower noise floor (and higher s/n, dynamic range capability, etc.), what eventually happened to most mixes that were transferred to CD? That's right, they were waaaaay "limited", to make them sound louder than the lp mix ending up with *worse* dynamic range than the album version. So alas, even though DVD-A and SACD have the "promise" of better sound quality than CD, it's up to the artists and record companies to make sure that happens.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, the "limited" mixes came later on. DVD-A is still a brand new format.

The only two titles listed that I'm interested in are Tutu (which I already have) and Disturbed, which looks rather dissappointing.

24/48? WTF? This is a brand new recording, can't they do better? And the "bonus" video clips look like they're exactly what's on the DVD that comes with the fancy packaged version of the CD (which I have). So, the only thing this disc offers is a multi-channel track.

NP: Bach, Magnifat, DVD-A

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I don't get what they are doing on both the Disturbed and Linkin Park discs with the low sampling rates. If they are going to go through the trouble of doing a multi-chanel mix they should go all the way (unless these discs have added multimedia crap which makes space an issue). I will wait for final judgement until the discs are released however, as this website could be in error.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks