What's new

Dual Video Cards question (1 Viewer)

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
I am building a new computer.

It will be a P4 3.0ghz, 1GB RAM...

I will be using it to game quite frequently AND I will use it as my Media Center (although I dont have or want MCE).

The video card I have right now on my older computer is an average GeForce Card, the 256MB 5700VE I think. I use it now for its S-video out to my television.

My question is this: when I build my new computer I will be buying a top of the line card. Should I move my old video card to my new computer as well to use the s-video out, and use the newer card to goto my LCD monitor per DVI? Can I have 2 video cards like that? Two different ones?

Or does it not work that way? Would it be better just to buy one top of the line card with a DVI and S-video out and use the CLONE mode?

Im not really sure how the compatabilty works if using 2 cards, and Im not sure if it would be more or less efficient to run one average and one good card, or just one really good one.

When I say top-of-the-line card, I mean spending about $300. Any suggestions on a card?

Sorry about all the questions..I really just dont know much about video cards.

Any advice?
Thanks

Mike_J_Potter

Second Unit

I would look at the Geforce 6800GT 256 mb version in AGP or PCI express both run around $300 or a little less and have both DVI and S-video out and should be more then fast enough to do what you need.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
If gaming is your primary concern I'd consider switching to an AMD 64. They smoke a P4 and are quieter/cooler to boot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks