What's new

Dual Layer DVD burners? (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
What is the best Dual Layer DVD burner I should be looking at getting?

Ok. I've put off buying a DVD burner and the more I read, the more confused I am. Here are the burners currently available in my area for reasonable prices, ie, from $80 to $120 ($CAD).

Pioneer DVR-109
LG 4163B
BenQ 1620
NEC 3520A
Plextor 716 (Some say Plex has dropped the ball on DVD writers after having been known as one of the highest quality CD rw manufacturers.)

What should I be concerned about? I hear that jitter is an issue, particularly with the LG 4163B? What about Media compatability? I understand some units can do bitsetting which means? (I think you can use RW DVD's in DVD players?)

I've looked in PC forums for info but I figure the home theatre people would know something, seeing as how they are more likely to burn DVD's and watch on widescreen TV's and projectors etc

Is there a DVD burner that is capable of burning dual-layer discs that will play on standalone dvd players? Not sure what is needed for this? Is that the booktype or bitsetting?

I have a Panasonic DVD CV51 dvd player.

thanx in advance for any info,

:)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Bitsetting will make a DVD+R look like a DVD-ROM disc to the DVD player, which should increase your odds that that disc will be playable in more DVD player brands/models.

I have an older NEC 2510A, and it's worked well for me, though you will have to do some searches on "nec 3520a booktype setting" to get the patches that will allow you to set the booktype for DVD+Rs for that DVD burner drive. Of course, there is a small amount of risk if you patch the firmware of your DVD burner drives, but the reward is probably worth it.

There are other boards that get really involved in discussing firmware hacks, and that's probably where you should glean the info (rather than re-invent the wheel here).

Also, I think the latest version of Nero will offer booktype setting depending on the DVD burner drive it senses in your PC setup. You can simply just click or unclick a box to set the booktype.

The firmware patches will offer to set the booktype as a default setting unless you choose otherwise.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
BTW, unless you are willing to shell out $6-$12 per Dual-Layer DVD media, I doubt you'll be utilizing the DL-DVD burning on any DL-DVD burner drive you buy (I haven't because the media costs are still far too high).

There are rumblings about the drives defaulting to setting the booktype for DL-DVD+R to DVD-ROM for most DL-DVD burner models. Then you have to also contend with the rolling out of DL-DVD-R blank media as well.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I won't need to use dual-layer right this second, but it would be nice for long video tapes converted from my video camera. I'm sure Dual-Layer DVD media will drop in time eventually.

I just want to know what I have to look for in a dual-layer burner so that I can burn a dual-layer dvd that will play in the most stand alone dvd players. What do I need to achieve the highest compatability?

Basically I need to know what is required, (bitsetting of DVD-RW or DVD+RW to DVD ROM for instance?) and which dvd burners will do this.

thanx

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I as well as 5-6 other people bought the NEC 3500 drive and it SCREAMS. I highly recommend it. Newegg sells one with software for $3 more if you want EZ Media Creator. Even if I didn't, the software for $3 more is a no-brainer to me.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Some say the 3520 isn't as good as the 3500. I wonder why. I don't want speed so much as something that works.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

From what I've read, the ND-3520A shares most of the strengths and weaknesses of its older sibling, the ND-3500A; what the 3520A has in its favour are a) ability to burn DVD+RW media at 8x and DVD-RW media at 6x, and b) DVD-R double layer upgradability.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Brent,

Hey Uxbridge! I'm actually in Ajax. Are you doing the Uxbridge Icebreaker this year? Totally off topic. If you don't know, its a mountain bike tour/race. I'm so out of shape I don't know if I'd make it...anyways....the LG model that does DVD RAM is the LG 4163B.

Still learning about all of this. So far the models I've mentioned are the better ones to choose from.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Chris, TRUST ME! I'm in no shape for a bike race!

Roll me down a hill and watch me go!

Brent

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
So any definitive idea of which DVD burners allow bitsetting the book type to DVD ROM? Any that do that for dual layer DVD's?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Get the NEC and then go hang out over at CDfreaks.com because that's where the action is for the hacks for DVD burners.

Nathan_W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nathan
Chris,

From what I've read the drives you listed can do bitsetting to DVD-ROM as such:

Pioneer DVR-109--> looks like it only does DL DVD+R
LG 4163B--> DVD+R, DL DVD+R
BenQ 1620--> DVD+R/RW, DL DVD+R
NEC 3520A--> DVD+R with modified firmware, DL DVD+R
Plextor 716--> DVD+R, DL DVD+R

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
I just purchased three of the NEC 3520As from Newegg this week. So far, very happy. I do a lot of production burning for my church and a local high school, and need reliable burners.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I bought the LG 4163B for alot of reasons but also because of the DVD RAM feature. Not sure how it'll do. If I don't like it, I'll try an NEC 3520 or BenQ 1620 instead. Hardly worth worry when they're not selling for much. Won't lose alot by trying and selling what doesn't suit me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks