Dual Layer DVD burner + Toast error

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Ted Todorov, May 16, 2005.

1. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

I just tried burning my first dual layer DVD using Toast and a LaCie firewire dual layer DVD burner (the actual drive is a _NEC DVD_RW ND-3520A) and Toast Titanium 6.1 (OS X 10.4.1) using Memorex double layer DVD+R DL media.

I selected "Best" as the burn speed, and it Toast said it would take 31 minutes for a 6GB DVD. ^ minutes into the burn, it bombed with:
    Sense Key = MEDIUM ERROR
    Sense Code = 0x0C
    WRITE ERROR

Any words of wisdom before I produce any more very expensive coasters?

Thanks,
    Ted

2. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
  3. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    I know there was a brand (not sure whether it was Memorex, will have to check at home) that has used a slightly different manufacturing process to create the DL media, which the burner might not know yet. Make sure you check for firmware updates for the burner on LaCie's website.

-Christian

4. Ted Todorov

Hi Christian,
    I downloaded the firmware updater utility from LaCie, and it told me that the 1.04 firmware on my NEC ND3520A is the latest.

Ted

5. Ted Todorov

Not much -- except that Memorex media is probably garbage. Not many have DL burners -- I am paying the price for being an early adopter.

It's a shame that Apple isn't selling DL media -- back in the day when DVD-R media was expensive, Apple's was actually cheap, and their quality has always been impeccable. Considering that their G5 machines come with DL burners now, I was hoping they would jump into the media fray...

Ted

6. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    If you get a chance, try Verbatim DL discs. I have used those, with outstanding results. Not one bad one. I'm on a pc, using different software, but you should still be able to get a good burn.

Just a reminder........ Does the software auto detect DL disc, and start to burn to it? Or, do you have to check a box for target disc to be 8.5 gb? I check box in mine, because 4.7 gb. is the default setting.

7. Ted Todorov

I'm guessing that Toast Titanium (6.1) must auto detect. I don't see any indication where it asks you to choose.

Ted

8. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

At the bottom right hand corner above the big red burn button, there is an indicator there. You can set it for "CD", "DVD" or "DVD DL".