What's new

Where to find DVD Drive Firmware Updates? (1 Viewer)

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
I have a Toshiba laptop and the burner has stopped recognizing stuff. It's fine with ANY CD format, blank or recorded/store bought.

But for DVD..only witll see blank DVDR, but not blank dual layer, nor any DVD with material on it...either burned or store bought. This smells like a firmware or conflict issue, but for the life of me I can't figure it out.

Any ideas or sites? I checked Tosh's website but it was useless.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Look at The Firmware Page :: Index.

They have both regular and region free hacked firmware for most drives.

The down side is it may not be firmware. I have one DVD burner that just decided it didn't like CDs one day. Updating firmware had no effect. Something mechanical went wrong.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
John, thanks for the link. Checked that site but couldn't find anything for my drive. So, I am thinking I would back up my HD and do a restore on the laptop to see if it is a software thing or needs to go in for service! Either way, I need to back up my stuff.

New Problem:

Vista (ugh) Backup doesn't back up everything. Any freeware that can accomplish that?

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Thanks for the link Parker. Went there and but my model wasn't listed anywhere that I could see. Just my luck.

However..since my last post....I cleaned the lens and have been forcing the drive to do stuff. It now will play burned DVD and recognize blank DVD/DL's.
Even could see a burned DVD-DL. Now next my store bought and keep pressing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks