What's new

Updating Toshiba firmware made easy (1 Viewer)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I had this posted at another forum so I thought I'd share since questions come up often.

My closet where the HD DVD now resides does not have ethernet run into it. So how do update the firmware I thought?

First note: this assumes you have a windows based PC. I use XP. I don't know about Vista.

There are 3 ways:

1. Hook up ethernet and find a display to see the menu. Big problem here.
2. Call Toshiba and wait for a while. YUCK.
3. Download the file and burn it to a CD to install: Big problem so I thought.

The Steps:

1. Go hereto download the file appropriate to your Toshiba HD player.
2. Since I didn't have an ISO burner, I went here and downloaded ISOBurner-setup.exe.
3. Install Iso Burner setup.
4. Unzip the Toshiba file to a folder.
5. Open Iso Burner and stick a CD into your drive.
6. Stick CD in and when ISO burner is open, click on the button with 3 dots to the right to find the file in your folder.
7. Click Burn!
8. After disc completes, install in your player and click ok when it prompts you to upgrade.

Process might take 20-30 minutes.

* Note* For whatever reason I couldn't get it to update using a DVD so I used a CD and it worked like a champ.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Another option for those of you without wired Ethernet access to your HD boxes (not only for firmware upgrades but for content as well) is the Homeplug system. Just Google "Homeplug" and you'll find a wealth of information on this technology.

Essentially, you can use your house wiring to carry Ethernet from your router to any other plug in your home. There are a few restrictions (such as approved surge protectors and avoiding ground fault receptacles) but if you have regular outlets near your router and near the component that you want to connect to the Ethernet it can be done for under $100 - and probably even less. I recently purchased this to link my bedroom HD-A2 to my router downstairs. And I can even add an Ethernet switch if I want to add additional boxes to the wired network in the same room.

Just another thing to consider if it fits for you.

ross ish

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info. I was trying to figure out the whole iso burner, my burner software does not do nor could I figure out if the microsoft burner was capable. This freeware worked great, a one step process. The Toshiba is upgrading now, do not have to wait for Toshiba's snail mail.

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
Bought the Toshiba HD-A35 recently and just hooked it up and configured it last night. My last step was to connect it via ethernet cable to my router across the room. The update process took 30 min. but went off fine. I hope this is a sometime thing as waiting 1/2 hour is a drag. Go out for a cup of coffee or whatever.

I have an Oppo 981 Std. DVD player as well and used the .iso file to CD burning method and that was fine. I did read somewhere NOT to use DVD blanks but only CD blanks in this process.

This is my first HD player and after updating the firmware I checked out an HD DVD sampler I bought with the player - beautiful!!!

No lock-ups or unresponsive behaviors were apparent. Load, navigation and command response was good. Maybe, I've been lucky so far but this is one fine machine and a good choice.

Hope this format stays the distance. :)

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
Almost forgot to mention, thanks RAF! The "Homeplug" solution looks to be highly promising. I will look into it. If I wanted to connect more than one box/component to the network for updates, what "Ethernet Switch" are you referring to? I'm not that proficient in matters technical or at least in the area of home networks. Would this be some form of router?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I suppose that hoping for a wireless connection for firmware updates is pointless @ this stage. Oh, well.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I did my A3 the other night. It's supposed to take 20 - 30 min. Mine was done in 10 min or so. Iso file on a CD-R. 1.1/1.1 now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks