What's new

DTS NEO:6 vs PL 2 (and other Receiver-generated DSP's) (1 Viewer)

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
Can anyone give me a URL that may explain the differences / pros-cons of DTS NE0:6 and Dolby PL 2?

I have a bunch of different DSP's to choose from on my receiver, and I'm trying to choose the one to leave as default.

JohnnyN

Stunt Coordinator
I can't offer a url, but i can offer my own insight. I prefer DTS NEO:6 for my 2 channel music sources because the sound stage is more present across the front 3 with the right balance of sound coming from all three front speakers, only occassionally do I hear a real cues from the surrounds, the rest of the time, the surrounds and surround just provide some nice ambient fill in the background. With DPL2 I notice a less coming from front left and right and a lot more coming from the surround left and right and not much coming from the surround back. The more sound coming from the room, but it's rather unnatural. For Most 2 channel sources with video, i rather prefer dpl2 because it uses more of the center channel and the sound cues are better matched to what's going on on the television screen.

Really depends on the source too. I still switch back and forth between dpl2 and dts neo:6 depending on the CD or movie, so I don't know if one generic default is gonna be the best choice.

Larry B

Screenwriter
JohnnyN:

I prefer DTS NEO:6 for my 2 channel music sources because the sound stage is more present across the front 3 with the right balance of sound coming from all three front speakers...
Two questions:

1. Have you tried listening to stereo using just to speakers, without any embelishment? In general, this vastly improves the soundstage.

2. What kind of equipment are you using?

Regards,

Larry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks