What's new

dts-es? (1 Viewer)

i own the sony de1075 reciever. what i am wondering is if dts-es dvds require a reciever that decodes dts-es specifically or can my 6.1 dts reciever decode the dvds. This question also applies to dd-ex. thank you

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
There are two distinct forms of DTS-ES, matrix and discrete. Both can be played back as basic 5.1 by all existing DTS decoders.

This question also applies to dd-ex.
DD Surround EX soundtracks can be decoded as basic 5.1 by any DD decoder.

M.

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Bobby,you should have no problems playing back the DTS ES disks or Surround EX titles with your reciver just make sure you have the 6.1 decoding on the reciver set on,& of course have a rear center spk hooked up.

Thats great, thanks for the response.so is the only difference between dts ane dts-es the 6th channel? Thanks again

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Yes, the only differance is it adds a 6th channel at least if it is discreet,if it is matrixed it will use the right & left rear information to make the rear channel.

With Dolby Digital Surround EX it to is a matrixed channel useing information from the right & left speakers also.What I mean by this if your not sure is the discreet channel is a completely sepret channel (it has its own information ) the other formatts do not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks