What's new

Dreamgirls (1 Viewer)

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
I keep hearing abou this everywhere - and I'm getting excited about it. Anybody read any of those early screening reviews? Seems like it's going to be a really fun musical, like Chicago maybe (without the murdering, I imagine.) I love musicals, anyway, so I'm looking forward to it. Anybody else?

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I'm looking forward to it. I prefer movie musicals to Broadway musicals, so this will be something I can enjoy. It'll also be interesting to see Eddie Murphy return to doing drama, albeit musical drama. Everybody thinks that "48 HRS" was a comedy...It was actually more of a straight-forward action drama, with the comedy mainly coming from Eddie's cursing. When I had viewed it a few months back, I was surprised to find that it was categorized as a comedy.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Well, maybe it could've been considered a dark comedy.

RafaelB

Second Unit
I, too, am very excited about this movie, as it's one of the best musicals of the 80s. From what I've seen this is going to be as good as (the movie) Chicago, if not better as it's a more straighforward, cinematic story.

For the latest word on the advance screening reviews and other "Dreamgirls" ephemera, go to http://dreamgirlsfans.blogspot.com.

Rafael. (Who was listening to his Dreamgirls cast album this morning).

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
I love the Dreamgirls soundtrack, too. I think that the music will transfer very well to the big screen. It all flows very nicely, and as you said cinematically.

I'm looking forward to seeing Jennifer Hudson, as well, I thought she was great when she was on American Idol. I think a lot of people forget that Eddie Murphy is a really good actor (hey, being funny takes a lot of work too, he has an excellent sense of timing in all his movies), and I'm curious to hear him sing.

thanks for the blog link!

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I'm also looking foward to Dreamgirls. Heard a good review of it today on NPR, also Rotten Tomatoes has it at 76% fresh rating. I'm really happy for Jennifer Hudson and all the praise she is getting. I really liked her when she was on AI, and always thought that she should have gone further than she did; certainly further than John "Red" Stevens, Diana DeGarmo and Jasmine Trias. My wife and I can't wait to see this movie.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
seeing it tonight, quite excited. Also up this weekend for me is Pursuit of Happyness, Babel and maybe flags of our fathers and the fountain.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Wanted to go to the Ziegfeld for a special showing at 25.00 a ticket, but no baby sitter available, we'll wait till after Christmas when the kids visit auntie.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Superb. If you're in one of the big cities (LA, NYC, SF) roadshowing this film for 25$ a pop its worth it for an outstanding event. Otherwise hold off til christmas to take the kids. The whole film is just wonderful. I loved every minute of it.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
The $25 cost isn't bad at all, You get a beautiful souvenir program that would sell for $20 at a Broadway theater. At the Cinerama Dome they also gave you a limited edition print of the poster art. If I paid $10 to see the film I still would have purchased the souvenir program so the $25 isn't bad. Plus the audience was also very well behaved and very respectful of the material.

The film is quite good but not great. It doesn't have the magic or impact of "Chicago" but it's fun and the performances are very good - the singing is great. Jennifer Hudson sings amazingly though she isn't given much acting to do outside the songs so I don't know if she'll win an Oscar, but we'll see.

The film is not really a musical, the songs are performance pieces and sung on a stage, in a club or in the recording studio. Only "I'm Telling You I'm Not Going" was sung as a book song - and it is the high point of the film.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S

Since I found Chicago to be enjoyable but all surface veneer lacking both magic and impact I'd have to disagree. :p

you're tempting me to go lay down money at the arclight, but I'm not going alone, and my movie going friend has no interest in seeing it. :frowning:

Brent_H

Second Unit
I'd go with you cause I'm in town...but I dunno if I want to see it THAT bad...I just want to experience the Cineramadome thing at the Arclight. :)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I saw a free showing of it at Chapman University film school. I thought it was only ok. Jennifer Hudson's character was the only one I felt much for. She belts out the songs quite well. The rest of the characters didn't seem well drawn enough to care much about. I can't remember the music very well, which is not a good reaction for a musical. I had to smile at the standard "any resemblance to real people is coincidental" disclaimer, because there were characters and incidents so reminiscent of what happened at Motown in the 60s. They sure managed to get a close looking copy of the early 70s Jackson 5. :)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it's quite obvious in the film. And Eddie Murphy's character looks VERY much like James Brown.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Adam S:

See it at the Cinerama Dome. It's worth it. The screen is curved, the sound is great the program alone would cost $20 bucks - plus you could always sell it on ebay - middle America won't have access to the program any other way - so you could actually make money off the screening. Comes with a limited edition print also. The dome does a great presentation - no trailer or commercials and the film does feel like an event - reserved seats etc. Reminded my of school trips to Radio City Music Hall back in the 70's

The film is quite Good. I really loved the show of "Chicago" and I loved the film even more - also never saw the show "Dreamgirls" so it wasn't as high up on my list

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

I disagree. I liked Chicago but didn't feel a closeness to the characters. Dreamgirls I did. I thought this was a much better movie with lots more heart.
I had the opportunity to see Jennifer Hudson as the Entertainment on a recent cruise and she was just as good in person as in the movie. She stole the show!
I can't remember the last time when people were applauding during the movie.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Film is good - not quite great, but good. Jennifer Hudson, however, is great in it. Her character is the driving force of the film, and you feel it every time she is on screen.

This leads me to wonder what is the plan of pushing Beyonce as the Best Leading Actress and Hudson in the supporting role? I found Beyonce's performance to be at times wooden, and her character never developed to where I felt it was anything more then Beyonce reading lines.

In fact, in the whole film, I was surprised to find that I felt as though Murphy and Hudson were the power forces within the film, while Jamie Foxx and Beyonce were the weakest portions.

That's just my opinion, but those who went with me shared the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks