What's new

Pre-Order Dreamgirls 2017 Director's Cut (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

dvdclon

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Surprised no one commented on this release now that it's on the shelves!

I'm disappointed it drops the old disc's extras, but both picture and audio get an upgrade.

The longer cut of the film adds about 10 minutes - it's interesting but not required viewing...

I wanted to mention that Target includes the special features disc from the first Blu-ray release. Be sure to pick one with the bonus disc sticker on the front because they also have it without the bonus disc. I'm told that both have the same product number.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I wanted to mention that Target includes the special features disc from the first Blu-ray release. Be sure to pick one with the bonus disc sticker on the front because they also have it without the bonus disc. I'm told that both have the same product number.

Really shoulda been part of the "common" release! :angry:

BTW, the Blu-ray.com review claims it's the same transfer as the old disc - not sure how that's possible when it's an alternate cut of the film.

That reviewer doesn't even discuss the longer cut - odd...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
That reinforces my decision that it's okay to wait on this title in a very crowded fourth quarter. Thanks.

You're welcome! At least it's an inexpensive title - only $17 MSRP! Not much of a discount on it right now at Amazon, though.

And I do think the picture and audio are an upgrade over the 2007 disc...

Moore Maxx

Stunt Coordinator

Is the special feature disc on Blu Ray or is it on DVD like the earlier release?

Thanks,

Maxx

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
And I do think the picture and audio are an upgrade over the 2007 disc...

Oh, I plan to get it -- just not immediately due to the fact that it is dropping at the same time as so many other titles that I want that I don't already have.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I got it today at Target, with the second disc of the Showstopper Edition included in a paper sleeve. I agree that there is no good reason that this shouldn't be with the general release. But, since I now have two copies of this, has anyone compared Disc 1 of the Showstopper Edition to the new disc in terms of bonus material? I'm wondering if it may now be okay to give away the old Showstopper Edition without losing anything, which I wasn't planning to when this release was originally announced without that bonus material.

The new cut is fun mostly for fans of the stage version because it restores two singing moments that were omitted from the theatrical release altogether in favor of shorter dialogue ("Effie, Sing My Song" and Jimmy's now-sung exit.) So, because I love the show and was glad to see these musical moments included, this is now my preferred cut of the film. However, it doesn't really move the needle much in terms of storytelling, since there's nothing new in here which the theatrical release didn't get across in a slightly shorter fashion.

It's also worth noting that the movie now has two uses of the F word in it, which means that under the MPAA's absurd rule where a film is rated R if that word is used twice, this cut would now earn an R, whereas the theatrical cut only had one F-word so was able to qualify as PG-13. The Blu-ray box says the director's cut is unrated, and I would suspect this is why they chose to release it unrated rather than getting the R.

I think this rule is plainly absurd, anyway, and there's nothing in the director's cut that couldn't be reasonably viewed by someone 13+, but there you go.

Condon also confirms in the digibook that he completed this cut back in 2006. Given this, I also think it's weird and disrespectful of the fans that Paramount sat on this cut of the film for ten years to make us double dip, rather than just putting this on the initial release. The new cut is fun but, considering it has been rumored and anticipated for 10 years, it's a little anticlimactic to get it now.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
It's also worth noting that the movie now has two uses of the F word in it, which means that under the MPAA's absurd rule where a film is rated R if that word is used twice, this cut would now earn an R, whereas the theatrical cut only had one F-word so was able to qualify as PG-13. The Blu-ray box says the director's cut is unrated, and I would suspect this is why they chose to release it unrated rather than getting the R.

That's not an actual hard-and-fast "rule". It's a general pattern but the MPAA doesn't have some policy whereby they automatically, always go "R" for movies with 2 or more "F-words".

Just in fall 2015, "Creed" had 3 "F-words" and both "Martian" and "Bridge of Spies" had 2 each, but all 3 are "PG-13"...

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
That's not an actual hard-and-fast "rule". It's a general pattern but the MPAA doesn't have some policy whereby they automatically, always go "R" for movies with 2 or more "F-words".

Just in fall 2015, "Creed" had 3 "F-words" and both "Martian" and "Bridge of Spies" had 2 each, but all 3 are "PG-13"...
The automatic R comes from combining Mother and the f word :cool:

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I had heard several times that it is a general rule, although there are exceptions. It just proves how inconsistent the MPAA is. But Curtis does put "mother" in front of the F word in one of the new scenes, so it would likely qualify as an R in either case.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I had heard several times that ti is a general rule, although there are exceptions. It just proves how inconsistent the MPAA is. But Curtis does put "mother" in front of the F word in one of the new scenes, so it would likely qualify as an R in either case.

Oh, it's definitely a general rule, though I wonder if the MPAA is getting more lenient because they know everyone else knows it's "the rule".

The fact that we've seen multiple examples of recent movies with 2-3 "F-words" that still got "PG-13" says to me they're loosening up on the "1 and done" notion...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
BTW, "unrated" on home video doesn't necessarily mean the studio wanted to avoid an "R" - it often occurs just because they don't want to pay the MPAA to re-rate the movie.

MPAA ratings are crucial for theatrical runs but much less relevant for home video. Even if "Dreamgirls" clearly would've still been "PG-13" in its extended cut, I'd bet the BD would've been unrated - Paramount had very little incentive to pay the MPAA to re-rate the movie...

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Sidebar topic -- I'm not sure if this would tie into Paramount's choice not to have the movie re-rated or not -- but I would have enjoyed it if this received a limited theatrical re-release with Fathom Events to show off the director's cut in a theatrical setting. Not that the director's cut adds that much, but I would love to have the opportunity to see this film in a theater again. I know re-releases are not common nowadays, but Fathom has had some success with limited showings of classic films recently, and I'm surprised no one thought to do this as a promotional tool for the new disc. Since the disc is out now, it probably won't happen, but I would have gone again if it did.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
ALL I want to know is...do any of these retailer exclusives feature Bill Condin's commentary track from an early Blu-ray release?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The retailer exclusive is Disc 2 from the 2007 release, right down to the label art.

However, I have the 2007 Blu-ray release and I don't know what you are talking about regarding a commentary. It's never been on any edition of the film I've ever had, and the new edition is my third copy of this film, following the DVD and Blu-ray editions of the 2007 release. I wasn't aware a commentary for this film existed and would like to know where you found one.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
The retailer exclusive is Disc 2 from the 2007 release, right down to the label art.

However, I have the 2007 Blu-ray release and I don't know what you are talking about regarding a commentary. It's never been on any edition of the film I've ever had, and the new edition is my third copy of this film, following the DVD and Blu-ray editions of the 2007 release. I wasn't aware a commentary for this film existed and would like to know where you found one.

I misread an earlier post which seemed to infer that the earliest Blu release did have a commentary. Guess not. I'm perfectly happy with the 2007 double-disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks