What's new

Pre-Order Dreamgirls 2017 Director's Cut (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
It's also worth noting that the movie now has two uses of the F word in it, which means that under the MPAA's absurd rule where a film is rated R if that word is used twice, this cut would now earn an R, whereas the theatrical cut only had one F-word so was able to qualify as PG-13. The Blu-ray box says the director's cut is unrated, and I would suspect this is why they chose to release it unrated rather than getting the R.

I think this rule is plainly absurd, anyway, and there's nothing in the director's cut that couldn't be reasonably viewed by someone 13+, but there you go.

That's not an actual hard-and-fast "rule". It's a general pattern but the MPAA doesn't have some policy whereby they automatically, always go "R" for movies with 2 or more "F-words".

Just in fall 2015, "Creed" had 3 "F-words" and both "Martian" and "Bridge of Spies" had 2 each, but all 3 are "PG-13"...

The automatic R comes from combining Mother and the f word :cool:
You're all right... and you're all wrong. The rule is even more convoluted than you believe. Generally speaking, a PG-13 film is allowed 2 uses of the F-word, provided they are used in a non-sexual context, and one use when used sexually. Motherf$@ker is an automatic R. There have been exceptions over the years, usually as a result of appeals to the MPAA. All the President's Men is one; A Civil Action is another, as are Million Dollar Baby, Non-Stop, Yes Man, and The Fast and the Furious.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I misread an earlier post which seemed to infer that the earliest Blu release did have a commentary.

That's a damn shame. If there was a version with commentary, I'd probably get it. I would really like a commentary on this -- Condon speaks well and was very informative on his Vudu-exlusive Beauty and the Beat commentary. However, yeah, I feel like if it didn't happen for this release, it won't happen.

On another note, I forgo from the press release that iTunes has additional new bonus features, so I stupidly redeemed the digital copy with my new disc at Vudu, like I always do, and thus screwed myself out of the iTunes extras. (Paramount doesn't cooperate with the Movies Anywhere thing, so it won't automatically transfer into iTunes.) Has anybody else redeemed their digital copy in iTunes, and if so, would you care to share what that new content is?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks