What's new

Pre-Order Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931) (Warner Archive Collection) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
After listening to the HTF interview with Mr. Feltenstein re: JEKYLL/HYDE, it was mentioned that they will be presenting it in a Movietone aspect ratio. This is a blunder, and hopefully someone there will see this post before the discs go out.

Paramount/Publix theaters were not showing any films Movietone. Paramount was not marking their viewfinders for this aspect ratio, either. We know this, because a survey was made of all of the major theater chains and their practices in 1929, and those were stacked up against what the studios owned by their parent chains were composing for. Almost none of them matched.

Mandatory reading on this topic is Lester Cowan's article in the Journal of the SMPE published in Jan. 1930 (but realized in the fall of 1929). It defines exactly what "Movietone Aperture" is (.820" x .680", or 1.21-1), what the studios were shooting for, what theater chains were showing and how, and what was standardized to resolve it. It may not be "common knowledge," but it is, in fact, history.

The correct aspect ratio for the film is 1.33-1 (.800"x.600").

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
After listening to the HTF interview with Mr. Feltenstein re: JEKYLL/HYDE, it was mentioned that they will be presenting it in a Movietone aspect ratio. This is a blunder, and hopefully someone there will see this post before the discs go out.

Paramount/Publix theaters were not showing any films Movietone. Paramount was not marking their viewfinders for this aspect ratio, either. We know this, because a survey was made of all of the major theater chains and their practices in 1929, and those were stacked up against what the studios owned by their parent chains were composing for. Almost none of them matched.

Mandatory reading on this topic is Lester Cowan's article in the Journal of the SMPE published in Jan. 1930 (but realized in the fall of 1929). It defines exactly what "Movietone Aperture" is (.820" x .680", or 1.21-1), what the studios were shooting for, what theater chains were showing and how, and what was standardized to resolve it. It may not be "common knowledge," but it is, in fact, history.

The correct aspect ratio for the film is 1.33-1 (.800"x.600").
Jack, I've read the article you linked, and while I understand and respect your position, I disagree that Movietone ratio is wrong for this movie. What I got from the article, is that before the Academy ratio was established in 1932, there was no set standard for sound-on-film productions, as evidenced by the survey showing all the different methods the theaters were using. Of the 306 theaters in the survey only 35 were cropping the image back to 1.33:1. Now while some cinematographers were taking this into account and were protecting the image so that no important information was getting cropped out, that's not the same thing as "recommending" that the theaters crop the image to that ratio. They were also still protecting full height to ensure that nothing got captured at the top and bottom of the frame such as crew or equipment which would have spoiled the presentation for the vast majority of theaters showing full height at that time. I think Warner Archive's decision to use Movietone ratio is the correct decision.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
Jack, I've read the article you linked, and while I understand and respect your position, I disagree that Movietone ratio is wrong for this movie. What I got from the article, is that before the Academy ratio was established in 1932, there was no set standard for sound-on-film productions, as evidenced by the survey showing all the different methods the theaters were using. Of the 306 theaters in the survey only 35 were cropping the image back to 1.33:1. Now while some cinematographers were taking this into account and were protecting the image so that no important information was getting cropped out, that's not the same thing as "recommending" that the theaters crop the image to that ratio. They were also still protecting full height to ensure that nothing got captured at the top and bottom of the frame such as crew or equipment which would have spoiled the presentation for the vast majority of theaters showing full height at that time. I think Warner Archive's decision to use Movietone ratio is the correct decision.

You're missing the resolution, however:

Copies of this resolution have been sent to executives of all motion picture studios and leading theater chains. The following Hollywood studios have already reported that markings would be made on the ground glass of all cameras in accordance with the specifications contained in the resolution: Paramount-Famous-Lasky, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, United Artists, Pathe, Universal, R-K-O, Tiffany-Stahl, Mack Sennett, Darmour, and Educational. Present markings on Fox Studio cameras approximate the recommended practice.

This is, of course, completely immaterial, as we can see in the paper that Paramount was not only not shooting before at a size comparable to Movietone, but in fact, the opposite.

Also, this is pretty demonstrable because Paramount was terrible at protecting the frame line area. A screening I attended of POINTED HEELS (1929) was wrongfully shown in Movietone, and it was comical how many boom mics were being picked up in the shot.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Just a FWIW -- my Amazon order shipped so despite the seemingly random Expected Delivery dates things are starting to go out.
Honestly I never pay a lot of attention to Exp Delivery dates on preorders anyway since they are invariably wrong often by a couple weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks