Down Firing vs. Front Firing + Adire DPL 12 Cutout info

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jonathan M, Oct 25, 2002.

1. Jonathan M

Jonathan M Second Unit

Is there any difference to the sound produced? I'm a little concerned that the carpet may absorb a little of the sound - anyone got any comments on the pros/cons? If I go for down firing, are around 90mm legs enough for the DPL12?

Also, has anyone got any info on the diameter of the Adire Audio DPL12 woofer cutout and mounting height? I need the cutout diameter, outside diameter, and depth of flange.

Thanks.

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

For your first question do a search for more detailed information. Short answer is no.
    However, I can't remember anyone saying the DPL12 can actually be used down firing. I ran the numbers in accord with this tech paper and came up with 6.5%.
    http://www.adireaudio.com/tech_paper...rientation.htm
    The rule of thumb is said to be less than 5% to be good for downfiring use. I guess your best bet is to email Dan and ask if it can be used downfiring. Unless somebody here already has and can provide us with that info.
    Second question I don't have that info.

3. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

4. Travis G

Travis G Stunt Coordinator

The carpet will absorb virtually no sound at those low frequencies (unless you have carpet > 6 ft thick.)

Travis

5. Jonathan M

Jonathan M Second Unit

Thanks for the replies, guys!
    I'll mail Dan at Adire to get his advice as well - but as you say, Dustin, the DPL12 works out at 6.5% sag.
    I'm using the DPL12 in a small 35 litre sealed box, equalized with Linkwitz Transform. It's being run from my DIY sub amp. (see here if you haven't already)
    I've built the box, and have "veneered" it with solid Rimu (Native NZ timber) and am currently trying to finalize the driver positioning etc. I can mount it on the front, but my significant other would prefer the underside so she can admire the timber and not grill cloth (We have cats [​IMG]
    Thanks for all you guys' help

6. Jonathan M

Jonathan M Second Unit

I chose the DPL12 for 2 reasons. First of all, it has similar specs to the Shiva, except for the lower Fs (And thus lower sensitivity) which means less equalization to get it flat down low in a small box. The sensitivity isn't too much of an issue, as amplification is cheap and easily upgradeable. The second reason was that it was on special (pre-order) at US$95 which made it affordable to get sent to New Zealand. Shiva was going to be around US$30 more - from either the US or from Australia.

Also, for those that want the info, I got a reply from Dan: