Don't wait - ISF Calibration

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Juan_R, Jan 5, 2003.

1. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

I had my 65HX81 calibrated by Gregg Loewen last night and the set is now twice as good as before. Gregg was very nice in explaining everything he was doing and never left you out to wonder about anything. My DVD's and HD look fantastic, my wife even noticed the difference in color. My geometry and convergance is perfect and my overscan is set at 4%. This was money well spent and I feel like I have a new TV now. So don't wait and get your set calibrated, prefebably by Gregg.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I can't agree with you more. I edited the title to reflect the true subject material of this thread. Enjoy your "new TV" [​IMG]

3. Page

Page Stunt Coordinator

Another recommendation for ISF Calibration and Gregg's work.

Gregg did my set (a Toshiba 61 inch RPTV) on Saturday (1/4/03) fixing some bad geometry problems, removing the protective screen, setting the grayscale, etc.

For years, I was so used to seeing reflections on my set from that damn protective screen that even after Gregg calibrated my TV I kept thinking I was seeing relections! But as I settled in with my newly calibrated set and watched a couple of movies, I began to appreciate Gregg's work more and more. No reflections, just more detail. Black levels set correctly so that shadow detail looked great. And no more vertical lines which were anything but straight up and down.

At first,I thought he finished my set too quickly, but I realized that his expertise at calibrating these sets has gotten so good that he can quickly pinpoint problems and fix them. He covered everything and didn't rush any of the work.

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings
    Add to that, Toshiba sets are considered to be really easy to do for Gregg. By the numbers calibration.
    Full calibrations can normally be completed in 2.5 hours to 3 hours if the calibrator is left alone to his own devices. But that takes the fun out of it. [​IMG]
    Regards

5. John.bo

John.bo Auditioning

Glad to hear your calibration made such a difference. I'm curious to know what kind of setup you attempted on your own. Had you used Avia? I'm thinking of going this route, and am wondering just how much better my picture can look. I'd hate to spend that much money and not see a remarkable difference.

Thanks
    John

6. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

John,

I did some tweaks on my own and used Video Essentials, but nothing came close to what Gregg did. I, like you was worried about spending that kind of money and not see the difference, but I can honestly tell you now that, it is well worth it.

7. John.bo

John.bo Auditioning

Glad to hear it!

John

8. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I have noticed that most of the ISF calibrations seem to be done on RPTVs. Has anyone seen this kind of benefit on direct view sets?