Problem with Tosh 42H82

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Romier S, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Romier S

Romier S Producer

I'm experiencing a problem with my current rear projection set. It was ISF'd about a year and half ago if my memory serves (I need to get Gregg back out to recalibrate soon). The set works perfectly fine for the most part, however what I'm experiencing happens only when the set has been powered off for a substantial amount of time.

When I turn the power on the picture from about the halfway point of the screen up shifts constantly (as if out of focus and shimmering like mad). The picture will also "jump" momentarily and shift the picture completely and a white line will appear for a second as the shift happens. This entire problem completely clears up after leaving the TV on for about 8-10 minutes. I can then watch whatever I want for hours without it reappearing again. Again, It only happens after the set has been powered off for a few hours. The shimmering and shifting will stop and the picture shift/white line issue will cease entirely. I'm completely dumbfounded as to what the problem could be. It's almost as though the CRT's aren't focusing properly and need to "warm up". I plan to book another ISF calibration near the end of the year, but I don't want to wait long to get this problem fixed and I fear it may get worse.

Any ideas or suggestions?

2. Romier S

Romier S Producer

3. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I'm no expert, but it kind of sounds like there is poor connection somewhere and once the set warms up the expanded materials closes the connection.

4. John S

John S Producer

There are to many possibilities. A screen shot or two may help some for the knowledgable calibrationists on here.

I think it needs serviced period.

5. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Get it repaired. ISF guys in general are not TV repair people.

Regards

6. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Of course. The reason for this thread is so that I could get some information from folks that have more knowledge about this sort of thing than I do. If I could get an idea of what kind of repair issue this is I could be better informed when speaking to the repair center in general. As noted, I want to get this out of the way before I have my next calibration done.

Thanks for the suggestions and I'll see if I can take some pics of the issue for you guys to take a look at in the next day or so.

7. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

You can probably bet that the repair will be under $400 unless it is a CRT issue. No one here is able to tell you if it is $150 or $250 or $400 regardless of what electronic problem it is.

Bite the bullet ... get it fixed ... and at least the repair is covered by its own warranty. Much preferable to getting a part and putting it in yourself and having no warranty for that and possibly getting it wrong and do even more damage.

Regards