Dolby Pro Logic Surround vs. Dolby Digital and video switch questions

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Richard C, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Richard C

Richard C Extra

I've got a 1994/1995 Denon AVR2500. The surround sound is Dolby Pro Logic 5.1. Was a decent A/V reciever when I bought it, and I haven't even considered upgrading since I love the music sound and it did a fine job with surround sound on the movies I watched. Works well as a video switch with it's composite(?) cables and S-video.

Now I've bought a new TV (Sony Grand WEGA™ LCD RPTV KF-42WE610), a new DVD player (Denon DVD1600). Both will be delivered next week I'm seeing all this new digital output and Dolby Digital stuff. Also, it's clear the 2500 won't work as a video switch with the new component video.

Since I haven't been paying any attention the past 8 years, I'm clueless about this. But it's got me wondering if I should buy a new receiver.

So, I have a few questions.

I think that the Pro-Logic surround sound I have now is really simulated surround that the 2500 generates from the stereo inputs. Is that correct?

How is Dolby Digital different? And should I notice a substantial change from Pro-logic.

Are new AV receivers today capable of doing a good job serving as a video switch. Or, regardless of what I use, will I still be better off going directly from source into the monitor.

Thanks for any help you can give to these (possibly dumb) questions!

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Welcome to the forum, Richard. I suggest you start with our Beginner's Primer and FAQ, which will answer many of these questions. Use the link in my signature.

The short answer it that your current receiver is hopelessly out of date for today's digital formats. The difference between the discrete 5.1 formats and the version of ProLogic that you have is night and day, with any film of recent vintage.

3. Richard C

Richard C Extra

D'oh!! Thanks for the link. (Somehow I missed that "read this first" post at the top of the page. I'll blame it on age.)

Does seem like everything I need to know is there - except how to come up with another $1k or so for a new receiver.

Apologies for the out of place post.

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

No need to apologize. This is exactly where your questions belong. [​IMG]

M.

5. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Don't feel bad. Much to the dismay of the admin, very few people read the "fine print" as it were. Anyway, going from a 9 year old receiver to a new one is like getting a new Apple to replace your Commadore 64. You don't know what you are missing. Dolby Pro- Logic II is also much better than the original. And then there's bass management, cleaner amp section, envyous friends and neighbors, etc. But if you are like the rest of us, only spend $750-800 on the receiver. Save a bunch of money for all the music and movie disc's you will be running to the store to get! Gene

6. dan-0

dan-0 Stunt Coordinator

Richard,

I was in the same boat as you until recently. I finally upgraded from my old Denon Dolby Pro Logic Surround Sound reciever (something like a AV700) to a new Denon AVR2803 Dolby Digital receiver.

Using the my exisiting speakers (read: crappy), the cd playback was slightly better, the DVD 5.1 playback was mindblowing!!!

After that I decided I needed to upgrade my speakers (NHT), now I need/want to upgrade to universal player (like your 1600), then....anyway be careful, it's slipplery slope, but deffienlty consider upgrading your receiver, coupled with your new equipment, you will be astonished at your *new* HT sound.