What's new
World Wide Stereo

Dolby Pro Logic Surround vs. Dolby Digital and video switch questions (1 Viewer)

Richard C

Grip
I've got a 1994/1995 Denon AVR2500. The surround sound is Dolby Pro Logic 5.1. Was a decent A/V reciever when I bought it, and I haven't even considered upgrading since I love the music sound and it did a fine job with surround sound on the movies I watched. Works well as a video switch with it's composite(?) cables and S-video.

Now I've bought a new TV (Sony Grand WEGA™ LCD RPTV KF-42WE610), a new DVD player (Denon DVD1600). Both will be delivered next week I'm seeing all this new digital output and Dolby Digital stuff. Also, it's clear the 2500 won't work as a video switch with the new component video.

Since I haven't been paying any attention the past 8 years, I'm clueless about this. But it's got me wondering if I should buy a new receiver.

So, I have a few questions.

I think that the Pro-Logic surround sound I have now is really simulated surround that the 2500 generates from the stereo inputs. Is that correct?

How is Dolby Digital different? And should I notice a substantial change from Pro-logic.

Are new AV receivers today capable of doing a good job serving as a video switch. Or, regardless of what I use, will I still be better off going directly from source into the monitor.

Thanks for any help you can give to these (possibly dumb) questions!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Welcome to the forum, Richard. I suggest you start with our Beginner's Primer and FAQ, which will answer many of these questions. Use the link in my signature.

The short answer it that your current receiver is hopelessly out of date for today's digital formats. The difference between the discrete 5.1 formats and the version of ProLogic that you have is night and day, with any film of recent vintage.

The surround sound is Dolby Pro Logic 5.1.
No such animal. "5.1" refers to a format in which there are five discrete channels of sound, plus a sixth discrete channel for low frequency effects (LFE). ProLogic works with a 2.0 signal and extracts a separate center and mono surround signal; this separation occurs through post-processing and is never entirely accurate. There is a more recent version of ProLogic, usually referred to as DPL2, which does a much better job at achieving these separations with 2-channel sources.

M.

Richard C

Grip
D'oh!! Thanks for the link. (Somehow I missed that "read this first" post at the top of the page. I'll blame it on age.)

Does seem like everything I need to know is there - except how to come up with another $1k or so for a new receiver.

Apologies for the out of place post.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Don't feel bad. Much to the dismay of the admin, very few people read the "fine print" as it were. Anyway, going from a 9 year old receiver to a new one is like getting a new Apple to replace your Commadore 64. You don't know what you are missing. Dolby Pro- Logic II is also much better than the original. And then there's bass management, cleaner amp section, envyous friends and neighbors, etc. But if you are like the rest of us, only spend $750-800 on the receiver. Save a bunch of money for all the music and movie disc's you will be running to the store to get! Gene

dan-0

Stunt Coordinator
Richard,

I was in the same boat as you until recently. I finally upgraded from my old Denon Dolby Pro Logic Surround Sound reciever (something like a AV700) to a new Denon AVR2803 Dolby Digital receiver.

Using the my exisiting speakers (read: crappy), the cd playback was slightly better, the DVD 5.1 playback was mindblowing!!!

After that I decided I needed to upgrade my speakers (NHT), now I need/want to upgrade to universal player (like your 1600), then....anyway be careful, it's slipplery slope, but deffienlty consider upgrading your receiver, coupled with your new equipment, you will be astonished at your *new* HT sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks