What's new

Does anybody have a new Hummer H2? (1 Viewer)

David Preston

Supporting Actor
I was wondering what the best gas mileage you have gotten so far city/highway. I really like them I'm just not willing to get average of 10mpg. Are they really that bad? Had any reliability issues yet? David

KyleS

Screenwriter
I dont have one but a lot of our Coach owners pull them behind their RV's for use after they get to where they are headed (I also have a very good friend that owns one for his business).

They have all said they average in the city about 9-12 MPG and then on the highway its around 15 or so. Basics are that if you can afford to buy an H2 then you can afford the gas too. I dont know if you are aware of the tax breaks on the H2 for business owners but my friend will end up paying less then 20K for his after everything is taken into account and then after he sells it he will be way up.

KyleS

Mike Lenthol

Second Unit
0 city / 1 highway :laugh:

But really 9-12 is more of a regular full size SUV territory (Yukon/Silverado) city driving with all the other lead footed drivers.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

Gotta love our government, always willing to ask us to sacrifice during wartime. :laugh:

/Mike

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
Wasn't the new H2 the first vehicle rated by the EPA in GPM (Gallons Per Mile)?

Or was that the Escalade ESV......:D

David Preston

Supporting Actor
I know in some of the newer cars in the GM line up you have to use premium gas like the Camaro and Corvette. Do you have to do the same with the H2 if so I wouldn't even consider it. I've been having to do that for 5 years straight I would like something I can put the lower grade gas into. I think I might consider a Tahoe are they any better on gas mileage. I know I could probably look at the window sticker and see the EPA rating but I would like some people that own them tell me how good they actually get. Thanks

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
If gas mileage is a big concern, might I suggest a CAR? If it must be a truck, then look into a diesel-powered one. I friend tells me he gets 17.5mpg at 70mph in his crew cab dually, pulling 11,000 pounds on the trailer. He says he also gets 17.5mpg at 70mph unloaded. Interestingly, he says his city mileage is also 17mpg. Hey, it's consistent.:)

The H2's 6.0l Vortec has a comrpession ratio of 9.4:1, with aluminum heads. Generally speaking, you SHOULD be able to run regular in this vehicle. However, due to the vehicle's weight, and the significant load that's always on the engine (moving 5000+ lbs of "lifted brick" through the wind), this may require a higher grade to prevent knock and/or power loss. Without driving one (and I have NO desire to do that), I can't say for sure.
I dont know if you are aware of the tax breaks on the H2 for business owners but my friend will end up paying less then 20K for his after everything is taken into account and then after he sells it he will be way up.
One of the bigger tax scams, considering the way it's actually used.

Todd

P.S. Please note that I have refrained from giving you my actual opinion of these vehicles. Believe me- it wasn't easy.:)

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
I dont know if you are aware of the tax breaks on the H2 for business owners but my friend will end up paying less then 20K for his after everything is taken into account
What?? Are you serious? Post here. Less than 20k? I'll buy one today.

How large does the business have to be? I've owned a small in-home business for several years.

You know what bothers me? I spent $35k on a loaded Montero Sport Ltd back in 2000. Could have bought an H2 for not much more. Don't get me wrong, I love my Montero, but an H2?? :drool:

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
But there weren't any H2s back then anyway, and no tax-breaks for it (at least not as big as this one).
I know, I know, but I still can't help but think, "If only I would have waited to blow my wad on an SUV" ..

Allright, any accountants here? I do have a small business, but it doesn't generate any money. I use it to buy automation equipment at wholesale prices, and it keeps me legal when I help a friend's business with their computers.

Could I take the deduction off of my personal taxes that come out of my paycheck? And if so, how much? Assume I pay $10k in federal income taxes this year, what could I get back under this deal? The whole $10k?

Seems like you'd have to make several hundred thousand dollars per year before you could take the entire deduction. I don't know many people who pay $40k in federal taxes every year. I suppose most of the people qualifying for this own a business that generates this sort of tax liability. They can then take the ~$38k worth of deductions from their business and put it towards their H2.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, you'll have to have a rather substantial income for your small business, and at least 50% of the use has to be for business purposes. I don't know more about the details than that.

KyleS

Screenwriter
I do have a small business, but it doesn't generate any money.
That is your problem. You cant write off against a business if you dont have profits to take a write off against. Sure you can take a loss but not that big of one unless you want to probably throw some red flags all over your returns. ;)

KyleS

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
You cant write off against a business if you dont have profits to take a write off against.
So, I figured I could deduct from my personal income - you know, "It's for the business, but the business doesn't make money, so I'm paying for it out of my pocket." But I don't pay $40k in income tax every year, so I don't think this would be effective even if I could get away with it...

Damn.

KyleS

Screenwriter
Depends on the type of business that you have Ryan (SP, LLC, LLP, INC, etc). but if there is a loss and your money was used then you could deduct against that up to a certain point. I would contact an accountant who could shed some more specific light though I am sure they would need to know a lot more detail then what can be provided here. Hey you never know look into it.

KyleS

E

Eric Kahn

Suburban actually gets better mileage with the same engine as the H2, it is lighter and more aerodynamic

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks