Does anybody have a new Hummer H2?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by David Preston, May 4, 2003.

1. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

I was wondering what the best gas mileage you have gotten so far city/highway. I really like them I'm just not willing to get average of 10mpg. Are they really that bad? Had any reliability issues yet? David

2. John Giddens

John Giddens Stunt Coordinator

Check Edmunds if you don't get a reply here.

3. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

I dont have one but a lot of our Coach owners pull them behind their RV's for use after they get to where they are headed (I also have a very good friend that owns one for his business).

They have all said they average in the city about 9-12 MPG and then on the highway its around 15 or so. Basics are that if you can afford to buy an H2 then you can afford the gas too. I dont know if you are aware of the tax breaks on the H2 for business owners but my friend will end up paying less then 20K for his after everything is taken into account and then after he sells it he will be way up.

KyleS

4. Mike Lenthol

Mike Lenthol Second Unit

0 city / 1 highway [​IMG]

But really 9-12 is more of a regular full size SUV territory (Yukon/Silverado) city driving with all the other lead footed drivers.

5. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Gotta love our government, always willing to ask us to sacrifice during wartime. [​IMG]

/Mike

6. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Wasn't the new H2 the first vehicle rated by the EPA in GPM (Gallons Per Mile)?

Or was that the Escalade ESV......[​IMG]

7. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

8. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

I know in some of the newer cars in the GM line up you have to use premium gas like the Camaro and Corvette. Do you have to do the same with the H2 if so I wouldn't even consider it. I've been having to do that for 5 years straight I would like something I can put the lower grade gas into. I think I might consider a Tahoe are they any better on gas mileage. I know I could probably look at the window sticker and see the EPA rating but I would like some people that own them tell me how good they actually get. Thanks

9. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

If gas mileage is a big concern, might I suggest a CAR? If it must be a truck, then look into a diesel-powered one. I friend tells me he gets 17.5mpg at 70mph in his crew cab dually, pulling 11,000 pounds on the trailer. He says he also gets 17.5mpg at 70mph unloaded. Interestingly, he says his city mileage is also 17mpg. Hey, it's consistent.[​IMG]

The H2's 6.0l Vortec has a comrpession ratio of 9.4:1, with aluminum heads. Generally speaking, you SHOULD be able to run regular in this vehicle. However, due to the vehicle's weight, and the significant load that's always on the engine (moving 5000+ lbs of "lifted brick" through the wind), this may require a higher grade to prevent knock and/or power loss. Without driving one (and I have NO desire to do that), I can't say for sure.

10. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

11. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

12. MickeS

MickeS Producer

But there weren't any H2s back then anyway, and no tax-breaks for it (at least not as big as this one). [​IMG] So don't regret your Montero Sport. [​IMG]

Here is more information about the tax-break on the Hummer and other large vehicles: http://www.taxpayer.net/TCS/whitepapers/SUVtaxbreak.htm

13. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

14. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Yeah, you'll have to have a rather substantial income for your small business, and at least 50% of the use has to be for business purposes. I don't know more about the details than that.

15. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

16. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

17. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Depends on the type of business that you have Ryan (SP, LLC, LLP, INC, etc). but if there is a loss and your money was used then you could deduct against that up to a certain point. I would contact an accountant who could shed some more specific light though I am sure they would need to know a lot more detail then what can be provided here. Hey you never know look into it.

KyleS

18. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul

19. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

Suburban actually gets better mileage with the same engine as the H2, it is lighter and more aerodynamic

20. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul