What's new

Doctor Who (1 Viewer)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
The Jo Martin Doctor is especially intriguing

There are a few theories floating around out there. One is that she is a regeneration of the Tennant Doctor who went to the parallel universe with Rose (but wasn't he fully human?). Another theory is that she is a "split" off of Troughton from the end of The War Games (that she's one of the 'swirling heads').

I don't think a superfan like Chibnall would make a big continuity mistake, such as a pre-Hartnell one with a TARDIS stuck as a Police Box.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
There are a few theories floating around out there. One is that she is a regeneration of the Tennant Doctor who went to the parallel universe with Rose (but wasn't he fully human?). Another theory is that she is a "split" off of Troughton from the end of The War Games (that she's one of the 'swirling heads').

I don't think a superfan like Chibnall would make a big continuity mistake, such as a pre-Hartnell one with a TARDIS stuck as a Police Box.

Hadn't heard the alternate Tennant theory yet, but I do believe he was fully human at the point.

I've heard the between Troughton and Pertwee theory in a few places.

I just hope that whoever she is, there is something logical behind it. I'm looking forward to the final 4 episodes of the season.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
It seems that she *has* to be slotted-in between Troughton and Pertwee. That would explain both why she doesn’t recognize sonic screwdrivers and why her Tardis already has the broken chameleon circuit. Besides, we never did see Troughton regenerate into the Pertwee Doctor. And he was already being punished by the Time Lords before being banned to Earth. It could just be that he first regenerated into this “Mystery Doctor” who did something to add to his/her punishment prior to the Earth ban. Perhaps as part of the punishment her memories were taken.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I really loved how Moffat found space in the timeline to create a mystery in-between Doctor, and how that served to pay tribute to the show on its 50th anniversary while filling in the gap between the original iteration of the show and the revival.

But I don’t think that’s a trick that should be tried by just anyone at anytime. If each new showrunner is gonna come in with their own new mystery doctor that happened in the past that we’ve just never heard of, it’s really going to cheapen the entire program.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I agree. The explanation, in this case, has to be worthy of the weight of the reveal. If it ends up being an unsatisfying hand wave, it will make the whole thing feel cheap.

The problem with having the Ruth Doctor be in the main continuity is that there aren't really any gaps:
  1. The First Doctor regenerates into the Second Doctor on screen.
  2. We don't see the end result of the Second Doctor's regeneration, but the terms of his exile are very specific: 20th Century Earth, no TARDIS, assisting humanity. When the Third Doctor arrives, the TARDIS instantly stops working for him, and the terms of his sentence are carried out from there. The Ruth Doctor seems to have been assisting the Time Lords, not humanity, and fled to 21st Century Earth with full control of her TARDIS. So any insertion at that point feels like a cheat.
  3. The Third Doctor regenerates into the Fourth Doctor on screen.
  4. The Fourth Doctor regenerates into the Fifth Doctor on screen.
  5. The Fifth Doctor regenerates into the Sixth Doctor on screen.
  6. The Sixth Doctor regenerates into the Seventh Doctor on screen (albeit shoddily, since Colin Baker refused to participate)
  7. The Seventh Doctor regenerates into the Eighth Doctor on screen (still my favorite regeneration!)
  8. The Eighth Doctor regenerates into the War Doctor on screen
  9. The War Doctor regenerates into the Ninth Doctor on screen (just enough of Eccleston visage to make it clear)
  10. The Ninth Doctor regenerates into the Tenth Doctor on screen
  11. The Tenth Doctor regenerates into the Eleventh Doctor on screen
  12. The Eleventh Doctor regenerates into the Twelfth Doctor on screen
  13. The Twelfth Doctor regenerates into the Thirteenth Doctor on screen

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
They even made a plot point out of the 11th doctor being out of regenerations in Matt Smith’s finale and spell out how many a time lord gets and what counts as using one, before the time lords intervene to give the Doctor another set - so if you add that to the equation, it really doesn’t add up to insert any more previously unknown Doctors into the past.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
In "The Doctor's Daughter", a machine cloned the Doctor. The last time that we saw the clone, she had just regenerated after everyone (including the Doctor) had given her up for dead. Perhaps this is the clone, she regenerated again in a way that left her memory damaged (so she thinks she's the original), and she somehow got a TARDIS. If she thought she was the original, "fixing" the appearance of the TARDIS might follow.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This was a fun episode, mainly because Lord Byron and the Shelleys are fun and interesting historical figures.

Whittaker's take on the Doctor is so much lighter than the last several, probably the lightest since the Eighth Doctor, that it's always attention-grabbing when the Doctor's dark side comes out. In that moment, when she decides to save Percy Shelley and condemn the future, we get a glimpse of "the oncoming storm, the bringer of darkness, the destroyer of worlds" that the Thirteenth Doctor normally keeps so well hidden.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Well, this finale managed to answer a lot of questions that I never thought the show would ever answer, while leaving the Doctor more mysterious than ever.

Hartnell through Whittaker are an unbroken chain of regenerations, but there are countless regenerations before Hartnell's iteration. And the Doctor isn't bound by the twelve regeneration limit because she isn't, strictly speaking, a Time Lord.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Well, this finale managed to answer a lot of questions that I never thought the show would ever answer, while leaving the Doctor more mysterious than ever.

Hartnell through Whittaker are an unbroken chain of regenerations, but there are countless regenerations before Hartnell's iteration. And the Doctor isn't bound by the twelve regeneration limit because she isn't, strictly speaking, a Time Lord.

Overall, I enjoyed the episode. And they did reference quite a lot of the open issues presented this season (not sure if they all were answered).

Two things that I would have liked to see, but didn't.

1) Some mention of the Missy reformation. (although maybe O is between Simm and Missy, which could explain it).
2) Why the Ruth Doctor had a Police Box. I understand that she was an un-remembered, pre-Hartnell version, and would likely have a TARDIS. But it was Hartnell who stole the faulty machine (or She allowed herself to be taken), and it was while he was on earth in the 60s that it froze into the Police Box shell.

I really enjoyed the scene between Graham and Yaz. Quiet conversations tend to stick out and be memorable.

Now waiting for either Christmas or New Year.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
2) Why the Ruth Doctor had a Police Box. I understand that she was an un-remembered, pre-Hartnell version, and would likely have a TARDIS. But it was Hartnell who stole the faulty machine (or She allowed herself to be taken), and it was while he was on earth in the 60s that it froze into the Police Box shell.
As we saw two TARDIS with perfectly working chameleon circuits in this episode, not explaining this really stuck out in my mind.

Overall, I did enjoy the episode and am looking forward to seeing how the new cliffhanger gets resolved in the holiday special.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Coming July 7th on Blu-ray! From Kino Lorber Studio Classics for US release

DR. WHO AND THE DALEKS (1965)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Writer, Film Critic, Film Historian Kim Newman and Screenwriter, Writer, Film Historian Robert Shearman
• Audio Commentary with Actresses Jennie Linden and Roberta Tovey and Author Jonathan Sothcott
• Dalekmania: 57-Minute Documentary
• Interview with Author Gareth Owen
• Restoring Dr. Who and the Daleks
• Optional English Subtitles
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Theatrical Trailer

Although not yet announced, it wouldn't surprise me if they don't also release Daleks - Invasion Earth 2150 A.D.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Coming July 7th on Blu-ray! From Kino Lorber Studio Classics for US release

DR. WHO AND THE DALEKS (1965)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Writer, Film Critic, Film Historian Kim Newman and Screenwriter, Writer, Film Historian Robert Shearman
• Audio Commentary with Actresses Jennie Linden and Roberta Tovey and Author Jonathan Sothcott
• Dalekmania: 57-Minute Documentary
• Interview with Author Gareth Owen
• Restoring Dr. Who and the Daleks
• Optional English Subtitles
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Theatrical Trailer

Although not yet announced, it wouldn't surprise me if they don't also release Daleks - Invasion Earth 2150 A.D.
So this release is connected to the Dr. Who TV show on the BBC?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Its a non canon remake of one of the very first Dalek story from 1963. Said serial is likely never coming to blu-ray due to the fact that the surviving copies are of subpar quality being 16mm dupes and in the case of the fourth episode a reduction from 35mm. And like all Hartnell stories it was made in the EMI-Marconi system which is technically inferior even to NTSC.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Yes and No.

Peter Cushing's Doctor isn't part of the official lineage, but the movie is about an old guy named The Doctor who drives around in a blue police box that's bigger on the inside and fights Daleks.

Actually his name really IS Dr. Who in the movie though.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

As the others have replied, this was a feature film adaptation of the second Doctor Who story - originally broadcast in 1963-1964. It was moderately successful and did lead to a second feature film "Daleks - Invasion Earth 2150 A.D." (from the second season).

The major difference between these adaptations and the originals is the character of the Doctor. In the originals, he is an alien traveling in a time machine. In the movies he is an eccentric scientist who invented a time machine. Other than that, the stories are very similar.

As for the originals showing up on Blu, they are planned as part of The Collection which is presenting cleaned up upscales of the original video (or filmed backups). The sixties era will be coming later in the collection (probably four or more years from now) due to several stories being missing and no definite decision on how to represent them (animations or slideshows using the original audio).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks