What's new

Doctor Who - The Daleks in Colour Blu-ray...... (1 Viewer)

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Season 1 (1962/63), all seven episodes condensed into a 75 minute feature with colorization & special effects (visual & audio) arriving on a BBC Blu-ray on 02/13/24. I thought the editing etc was well done, Dr Who fanatics may think different.

Pretty nostalgic for me as it's the first time seeing this since it originally aired. My father was given a B&W TV that needed repair, he fixed it, so it was my first exposure to television. I havn't stopped since.

If you'd like to preview this before buying it's only available online at the Dailymotion dot com, no other streaming services presently, enjoy!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
FYI its no visual masterpiece (no Hartnell is being sub-NTSC in the first place) and the garish colors are based on actual photo reference of that story and Lime Grove. The Beeb was more concerned about what colors looked better in black and white, hence the bright shades of pink and powder blue.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
FYI its no visual masterpiece (no Hartnell is being sub-NTSC in the first place) and the garish colors are based on actual photo reference of that story and Lime Grove. The Beeb was more concerned about what colors looked better in black and white, hence the bright shades of pink and powder blue.
You appear to be an expert. Does the colorization increase or decrease the picture resolution?

I see this was directed by Waris Hussein, an under appreciated UK director, I'm an admirer of his later movies!

I expected more replies to this thread, it must be a Superbowl effect.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
You appear to be an expert. Does the colorization increase or decrease the picture resolution?
Its taken from a new 4k scan of the existing kinescopes if that's what you're asking. The problem is the Marconi-EMI tv system was brickwalled at 500×376. The recent 4k restoration of The Dalek Invasion of Earth on the Season 2 bluray shows any increase in resolution just reveals the line structure of the monitors they were filming (by comparison, scans of Season 5, 6, 8, and 9 serials currently existing only on film are relatively sharper due to the Beeb switching to the PAL standard midway through Patrick Troughton's second season) To add to that, the material drawn from Episode 4 was originally trasmitted from a 35mm kinescope and all that survives is a 16mm reduction positive so that's three generations removed already.

Also Waris only did the previous story An Unearthly Child and later Marco Polo. Daleks was co-directed by Chris Barry and Richard Martin.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks