Doctor Who

Dave Scarpa

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
David Scarpa
Like the discovery haters the core Whittiker haters I just don’t understand, her performance is as good as the previous 2 , don’t think anyone will ever top Tennent. I like the return of a team aspect to the Tardis. It’s certainly better than yet another moon eyed girl pining for the doc. The stories have been hit and miss but no more than during the capaldi error, and theyve been a bit less convoluted. Most of the haters are so tied up in their hatred of anything they claim is social justice related they can’t just be entertained

AndyMcKinney

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Of course, a lot of the haters haven't liked anything since 1989 (or earlier), not just Jodie. They're just griping much more loudly about the gender change.

It really amazes me that people who claim they don't watch anymore (or haven't watched for X amount of years) bother to haunt the forums just to complain about a show they claim not to like anymore (apart from old episodes). Why not expend one's energy on something they do like, instead of banging on about how "bad" it is these days. JN-T's parody of such fans in "Whiz Kid" from "Greatest Show in the Galaxy" was actually a bit restrained from what I've observed.

David Weicker

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
David
Newest Classic Series Blu-Ray Collection just announced.

Season 10 with Jon Pertwee. UK release date tentatively set fo July 8

Jon Pertwee’s complete fourth season as The Doctor in Doctor Who is coming to Blu-ray in this brand new collection!
In 1973, Doctor Who celebrated its tenth anniversary with a very special story reuniting the first two Doctors – William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton – with Jon Pertwee’s then-current Doctor. The Three Doctors kicks off an explosive, colorful series of adventures across all of time and space as the Doctor and Jo Grant (Katy Manning) encounter the rogue Time Lord Omega, the terrifying Drashigs, the noble Draconians, fearsome Ogrons, deadly Daleks and slithering giant maggots.
This season also includes the final appearance of Roger Delgado as the Doctor’s arch nemesis The Master, plus adventures alongside Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart (Nicholas Courtney) and UNIT.
With all 26 episodes newly remastered from the best available sources, this Blu-ray box set also contains extensive and exclusive special features which include:
• A brand new feature-length documentary examining the Third Doctor’s Era, with archival contributions from Jon Pertwee, Barry Letts and Terrance Dicks plus all-new interviews with Katy Manning, Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss, presented by Matthew Sweet.
• Updated special effects and surround sound mix for Planet of the Daleks.
• Five new instalments of Behind the Sofa, featuring Katy Manning, Richard Franklin (Captain Yates) and John Levene (Sergeant Benton), along with 21st century Doctor Who panel Phil Collinson (Producer/Executive Producer), Pete McTighe (Writer) and Joy Wilkinson (Writer).
• Looking for Lennie, a documentary investigating the life of director Lennie Mayne.
• Keeping up with the Jones’, which sees Katy Manning with Stewart Bevan (Cliff Jones) pay a return visit to the Welsh locations from The Green Death.
• Plus: a repeat omnibus of The Green Death unseen since Christmas 1973, rare Panopticon convention footage, Blu-ray trailer, HD photo galleries plus scripts, production files and rare documentation provided as PDFs.
• The six-disc box set also includes hours of extensive special features previously released on DVD including two episodes of The Sarah Jane Adventures that saw Katy Manning’s Jo Jones meet the Eleventh Doctor (Matt Smith).

David Weicker

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
David
Newest Classic Series Blu-Ray Collection just announced.

Season 23 with Colin Baker. UK release date tentatively set fo September 23.

The Sixth Doctor’s second (and last) full season, generally referred to as Trial Of A Timelord.
14 episodes.

The Mysterious Planet
Mindwarp
Terror Of The Vervoids
The Ultimate Foe

Last edited:

David Weicker

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
David
OK, I'm a bit behind with the news.
Back in September, they announced the next Collections set

Season 26 with Sylvester McCoy. UK release date tentatively set fo December 23.

The Seventh Doctor’s third (and last) full season.
14 episodes.

Battlefield
Ghost Light
The Curse Of Fenric
Survival

David Weicker

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
David
New news from the UK today.

The UK Season 12 Collection (with special packaging) will have a Limited re-release (it sold out very quickly and has demanded exorbitant prices on eBay - hundreds and hundreds of pounds). The US version (labeled Tom Baker 1st Season) with standard packaging continues to be available.

Two new animations of Classic stories are due in 2020.

The Faceless Ones was announced over the summer (Patrick Troughton - 2nd Doctor)

Fury From The Deep was announced today (Patrick Troughton - 2nd Doctor)

Adam Lenhardt

Director
Reaction score
Series 12 writers and directors announced

New Directors:
  • Nida Manzoor
  • Emma Sullivan
  • Jamie Magnus Stone
  • Lee Haven Jones
New Writers:
  • Nina Metivier
  • Maxine Alderton
  • Charlene James
Returning Writers:
  • Vinay Patel (11x06 "Demons of The Punjab")
  • Ed Hime (11x09 "It Takes You Away")
  • Pete McTighe (11x07 "Kerblam!")
Per the BBC: "Doctor Who makes an explosive return to screens in early 2020 for another action-packed series of thrilling adventures."

The Obsolete Man

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
Series 12 writers and directors announced

New Directors:
  • Nida Manzoor
  • Emma Sullivan
  • Jamie Magnus Stone
  • Lee Haven Jones
New Writers:
  • Nina Metivier
  • Maxine Alderton
  • Charlene James
Returning Writers:
  • Vinay Patel (11x06 "Demons of The Punjab")
  • Ed Hime (11x09 "It Takes You Away")
  • Pete McTighe (11x07 "Kerblam!")
Per the BBC: "Doctor Who makes an explosive return to screens in early 2020 for another action-packed series of thrilling adventures."
6 writers, at least.

Good.

Chibnall did too much last year. Needs to focus on things other than writing every episode. Plus, the returning writers did some of the better episodes of the season.

Adam Lenhardt

Director
Reaction score
Chibnall did too much last year. Needs to focus on things other than writing every episode. Plus, the returning writers did some of the better episodes of the season.
"Demons of The Punjab" was my favorite episode of the Thirteenth Doctor's first run.

Chibnall might be the first showrunner where I preferred the historical episodes to the space episodes and the monster episodes.

Reactions: Josh Steinberg

The Obsolete Man

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
"Demons of The Punjab" was my favorite episode of the Thirteenth Doctor's first run.

Chibnall might be the first showrunner where I preferred the historical episodes to the space episodes and the monster episodes.
I liked Pting.

People would've squeed all over him if he'd faced Tennant.

I also wouldn't mind some old villains coming back. A season without the old standbys is what a lot of people had been asking for, well, we've had it, so dredge up Kandyman or something.

And yes, I've seen the Judoon spoilers. I guess they're classic enough now.

Lord Dalek

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Jodie Whitaker finding herself in the most unenviable position: having to follow up a debut season that was, to put it mildly, horrible. Let us hope she gets a McCoy instead of a Colin Baker.

Josh Steinberg

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I thought she was well cast (and I liked the supporting characters too), but I found the writing to be such a massive step down from the Moffet era (which I enjoyed more than the Davies era), that I’m not planning on watching the next series, at least not as any kind of priority. If I see it, I see it, if I don’t, that’s okay too.

Scott-S

Cinematographer
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Scott
Yea, I thought she did a decent job of playing the Doctor. I just thought the stories were either too political, just bad, or not memorable. In fact I am having a hard time remembering much of them. All I have is just the memory (feeling) of being lectured to but I can't really remember the subject. I guess that means the stories were not very memerable. Or I am getting too old. :)

The Obsolete Man

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
In keeping with the Chibnall regime's discomfort with Christmas specials, Series 12 will debut on New Year's Day:
I do miss the Call The Midwife/Doctor Who Christmas double bill.

However, it looks like we'll be getting CTM/Who on Sundays starting later in January anyway, so it all balances out.

Adam Lenhardt

Director
Reaction score
The premiere of the twelfth series definitely had more pep than most of the episodes of Thirteen Doctor's inaugural run, but I miss the flair and style of the Moffat era.

Stephen Fry had a fun little cameo as "C", who is presumably the boss of "M" at MI6. I've got my fingers crossed for a Bond cameo in Part 2.

Some nice callbacks too: the Doctor wearing the Twelfth Doctor's coat to the tech mogul's party; the references to the destruction of GCHQ & UNIT & Torchwood;

The threat this time around was sufficiently intimidating and sufficiently strange to keep my interest. It's always a bit exciting when the Doctor genuinely doesn't understand the threat or what's going on, because it happens so infrequently.

The baddies were genuinely intriguing enough that I was almost disappointed by the episode ending reveal:
That Sacha Dhawan -- Davos in Marvel's "Iron Fist" -- is the latest iteration of the Master. It just seemed like interdimensional saboteurs had more potential than whatever scheme he's cooked up.

That being said, I liked Dhawan's take on the Master better than both the John Simm iteration and and the Michelle Gomez iteration. Simm's Master was too obviously unstable, and Gomez's Master -- while an absolute hoot -- was too camp. Dhawan's Master actually feels menacing. He feels like he'd slip a knife into your chest and smile while doing it.

Adam Lenhardt

Director
Reaction score
I liked Part 2 better than Part 1. Probably the cleverest and fastest paced the show's been since Chris Chibnall took over as showrunner.

The casting of both Ada Lovelace and Noor Inayat Khan was a pretty uncanny visual match to the real people.

I've been frustrated since the 50th Anniversary Special that Gallifrey was brought back but the show didn't do hardly anything with it. The reveals at the end of this episode were a hell of a hook, and gave the Thirteenth Doctor some darker undercurrents than she'd had previously. She is actively misleading her companions.

I'm thinking there might be a dark secret behind the regeneration process, a cost that was buried by the earliest Time Lords. It's a tricky thing, though. Because obviously there are going to be future iterations of the Doctor once Jodie Whittaker calls it a day, and if they make the regeneration process inherently immoral, then we're not going to feel good about the Doctor taking on new faces. At the same time, the secret has to be horrible enough to make even the Master morally outraged.

Reactions: TJPC

Forum Sponsors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rebccalim