1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Do you trust Amazon Alexa?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Martin Dew, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Martin Dew

Martin Dew HTF News Editor

Martin Dew
    atcolomb likes this.
  2. John Dirk

John Dirk Cinematographer
    Supporter

JOHN
    It’s more than reasonable for consumers to expect that companies like Amazon do not invade the sanctity of private conversations in their own homes, and we should demand that companies respect that.”

This may have been sound reasoning perhaps 20 years ago but today the opposite is clearly true. Anyone who buys these types of devices [from any provider] and believes they are not being used to mine data in the background is naive at best. Now whether you're OK with these practices or not is a separate issue. Some may find the features and convenience offered by the devices compelling enough to offset the privacy concerns; Others may not. Either way, the notion that companies who make their fortunes compiling and selling [supposedly aggregate] personal data would forego the practice with their most intrusive class of products to date is patently ridiculous in my view. These products represent the modern incarnation of the Trojan Horse.

3. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
    Big Brother is watching...and listening! :unsure:

Peter Keller and Martin Dew like this.
  4. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
  5. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Yeah, I don't believe I would ever have one of these in my home. I don't even like to turn on the location feature on my cell phone or tablet, and it makes me nervous when app updates say they need access to the microphone and camera, for whatever reasons.

6. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    The answer is absolutely no! Not only do I not trust Amazon Alexa but I do not trust Google Assistant or Apple Siri! It is bad enough we had a spy device in our mist before these digital voice enabled devices. So many are people are addicted to the device we call smart phones! So with those they can track us almost anywhere we go! They can technically listen in and access the camera and look at the websites we go on. Now on top of that they can record us and listen in on us and sell the data on keywords we search and what we buy! They know what music people listen to and what movies you watch! It is amazing and sickening how much data is stored on every single person using technology today. I can unlike many out there walk away from my smart phone at any time and honestly can live without it! I might have a few compatible devices but I do not own any of the actual devices like Alexa, Google Assistant or Apple Siri! And to be honest I have no interest in owning any of them! I believe we are close to the point where we will miss the days when the government had to actually get warrants legally to place microphones in hour homes and businesses. Heck now companies can do the same thing and no crime is involved!

victimless 003.

Peter Keller and John Dirk like this.
  7. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I trust Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant and Apple Siri about as much as I trust a scorpion or snake! ROFL

8. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    No

9. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Eh. I’m not doing anything I need to worry about. Let them hear it all.

10. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    I even turn off the internet download feature of my BluRay player. So, the answer is no. I can't live in the modern world and not be tracked at all, but I definitely minimize it as much as I can.

11. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

That's the way we feel, too. The Amazon Echo devices are a convenience we enjoy, and I'm not too worried about what Amazon hears in our household.

12. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    I would never have one of these in my home. We have some close friends that have some in their home, and I feel like there's no privacy in their house. It's bad enough when I use the word "boat" in an email and then everywhere I go on the Internet I see boats for sale. But private conversations at home...sheesh.

Mrs. Carab likes this.