What's new

Do you listen your speakers with grill on/off?[not a poll] (1 Viewer)

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Recently I removed the grill from my LSI-9s on the front,just for kicks,and surprisingly I found it,that it sounds "cleaner and more transparent".I say surprised because I figured that it was designed for grill on.
I know that this is my subjective opinion,and that the "next guy" could very much prefer these speakers with the grill on,which is why I started this thread.

Have you guys tried this yourselves, what's your opinion on the outcome?Would you share?
Thanks.

PS: please no theoretical discussion as why it does/don't/should/shouldn't impact the sound,as this is a sharing experiences thread,feel free to start a technical discussion thread if one needed. Thanks!

RobWil

Supporting Actor
I have tried this and have liked it....I think my grills may add some deflection of some sort but, yeah...it seems to definitely 'change' the sound a little, but it scares the hell out of me having those drivers fully exposed like that! It's like...TRIP!! Doh!....as my arm goes through the woofer! :frowning:

Kinda like playing catcher without a cup on! (which I've done many times unfortunately!)

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
I have some pretty expensive speakers and my grilles have seen my speakers twice since the day they were shipped to me a year ago. They only went on the two times because I was hosting some poker nights and people were sitting and moving very close to the speakers, so put them on just to ease my mind those nights, especially since alchohol was involved.:)

For my speakers they look a whole lot better with them off and they sound better to boot. Actually, I have never done testing to see if they sound better without, but reviews and my dealer told me so, and throw in the looks and it is a no brainer.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Of course now that I think of it I can't find the pictures on the net that I remember seeing, but...

Don't most of the pics of speakers being tested in anechoic chambers show the speakers with the grills off?

SkiingNinja

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Ries
Some high frequencies are attenuated by the grille fabric so I never ever use the grilles...I think they are still in the box somewhere :)

Sean

DanaA

Screenwriter
What a coincidence that you post on this topic. I accepted delivery on my new speakers today and, after an hour or so, I decided to see how they sounded with the grills off. The difference was not slight or imagined. They sound significantly better sans the grills. With other speak brands, this wasn't so much a factor, but, with these new babies, it is.

DanaA

Screenwriter
A pair of ACI Sapphires and an ACI Essence center channel. I love them and they love me: A match made in heaven. :b

Terence B

Auditioning
Yeah -
I remember the "no speaker grill" fad from the 70's.
I even participated for years.
Of course the speakers back then were a far cry from what they are now and needed every bit of help they could get and removing the poorly designed grill cloth helped a lot.

I think that todays speakers and grill cloths have come a long - long way!

I will admit that I have auditioned my speakers at home with the grill off - just to see, but never with any intent to leave the grill off.

I prefer the asthetics of a well built, good looking speaker with the grill affixed.

But that's just my 2¢.

JohnBrianW.

Stunt Coordinator
I have Totem speakers and Vince the owner doesn't believe in grills (but does include them). The problem is the have nothing to clip onto to and you must use velcro and the keep falling off.

I only use my grill on the sub, too close to the ground for my little guy to put his foot through it!

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Speakers are kinda like a nice looking lady, some like to look at them clothed, some like them partly clothed just enough to be a tease, & myself I like them naked.

dajaga

Stunt Coordinator
i like them off.when im listening to music half way on my amp i love the way they look when they are moving:D

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Speakers are kinda like a nice looking lady, some like to look at them clothed, some like them partly clothed just enough to be a tease, & myself I like them naked.
Well it seems that most speakers benefit from the "full frontal nudity",unfortunately many women don't.However that doesn't say much about their "performance";)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks